Skip to main content

VA Benefits

VA Educational Benefits Information

The UMSOM Office of Student Affairs assists M.D. only students with Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits. SOM students not in the M.D. program should contact their program official for assistance with VA education benefits. All new and returning M.D. students interested in using VA education benefits must submit the following documentation and forms to Sofia Cascio.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has a variety of informational pamphlets, fact sheets, scholarship details, etc. available to students, click here.


Where can I find more information about the education benefits available to veterans?
You can visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website,, or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1) and speak with a veteran’s benefits counselor.

What VA Benefit Program should I choose and what is the payment rate?
A comparison of VA education benefit programs and their payment rates can be found at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website: It is recommended that before choosing a program you consult with your veteran’s benefits counselor through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

How do I apply for VA education benefits?
After consulting with your veteran’s benefits counselor, apply for benefits online at

If I will be using Chapter 31 benefits (Vocational Rehabilitation program), what guidelines must I follow?
Chapter 31 veterans are evaluated through the Baltimore Regional Veterans Office. Upon completion of the evaluation and determination of eligibility is established, a purchase order, VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status Form), will be provided to the school and the student. The school can only certify the student for the specific program and dates listed on the VA Form 28-1905. Call the Baltimore Regional Veterans Affairs Office at 1-800-827-1000 for inquiries.

The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) hasn’t received my VA payment yet. What should I do about my student bill?
Kia Partlow, UMB accountant, is available to assist with questions about your bill and VA payment. You can contact Kia Partlow at 410-706-1337.

How long does it take for the VA to submit payment to UMB once I’m certified?
The VA takes 6-9 weeks to process your certification once the School of Medicine files it electronically.

Who do I notify if I add or drop classes?
Email Sonia Beasley any time your enrollment status changes.

How can non-residents qualify for in-state status?
Members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marines are eligible for in-state tuition. If you are an active, full-time member of the Armed Forces, are stationed in the state of Maryland, and have the appropriate documentation, you are eligible for in-state tuition charges. The UMB Office of the Registrar determines in-state status. For more information on how in-state status is determined, visit the Office of the Registrar’s website. 

Who will provide me with my book stipend?
The VA will pay you directly for the book stipend and, if applicable, the housing allowance.

How will I receive my “kicker” if I am eligible?
The VA will automatically pay the “kicker” funds once they have processed your semester enrollment certification. Contact the VA directly if you have any questions concerning this funding.

Will the VA reimburse me for taking the USMLE exam?
Yes, the VA offers reimbursement for licensing and certification. For directions on how to request reimbursement, click here.

How many months of VA education benefits do I have remaining?
You must contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1) or

Where do I submit my Tuition Assistance forms?
The Tuition Assistance forms must be submitted to Student Account Help.

For more VA FAQ benefit specific information, click here.