2024 Match Day Celebration
Friday, March 15, 2024
10:30 am - 1:00 pm
M&T Bank Exchange at the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center
401 W. Fayette St
Baltimore, MD 21201
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
The Medical Alumni Association of the University of Maryland
We look forward to gathering for this exciting event! We will be celebrating with a fun and festive reception. After breakfast and a short program, match results will be distributed, and all students will be asked to open their envelopes at the same time to experience the excitement together.
Doors will open at 10:30 am. Please note that tickets are required. We ask that families and friends reach out to students for details about registration, tickets, and accommodations.
Parking will be available at the Baltimore Grand Garage (5 N. Paca St.), connected to the venue. Carpooling is encouraged. This is a UMB Garage. Hourly parking rates will apply. If you have a parking pass at another garage, it will not work at this garage for the event.
Match Day Facts
- In the annual event known as "Match Day," graduating medical students around the country and at the University of Maryland School of Medicine discover where they will begin their careers as doctors.
- During the emotionally charged, suspense-filled event, students are handed an envelope revealing which residency program has accepted them.
- The ritual takes place at the same time on the same day for all graduating U.S. medical students.
- At the same moment, the students learn the location for the next phase of their training.
- The annual "Match" is conducted by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) - a computerized system that matches the preferences of applicants with the preferences of residency programs at U.S. teaching hospitals.
- The NRMP is a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952 to provide uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education throughout the United States.
- Each year approximately 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors compete for residency positions in the United States.
- Up until 2014, the University of Maryland School of Medicine, "Match" was held in historic Davidge Hall - the oldest medical school building in continuous use in the United States. It is now held at a large venue in Baltimore so that families and friends can join the celebration.
- More than 50 percent of Maryland's practicing physicians and other health care professionals are School of Medicine graduates.