Things to consider when planning an international elective:
- M3 students: Please make sure to speak with an OSA Dean prior to applying to an international elective. In the 4th year, students will be busy with the residency application process. OSA Deans can help students pick the best month for international travel.
- Please read over the 4th year section of Academic Handbook prior to considering an international elective.
- Please check the United States Travel Warning List prior to applying for an elective. The following policies apply:
1) presumptive approval level 1 countries, 2) possible approval level 2 countries, 3) presumptive non-approval of level 3 countries, 4) no approval of level 4 countries under any circumstances.
SOM reserves the right to mandate review and recommendation by the Global Education Initiatives (GEI) office of any student travel request and will automatically require review for all level 3 countries.
Final decision on all requests is made by the Dean or designee.
- Please read over the UMB Campus International Travel Resources page.
- Off Campus Elective Form Instructions
This instruction guide will help you to fill out the Off-Campus Elective form correctly. Please read this form before submitting an off-campus form to a departmental coordinator.
All the forms below are required to process your international elective registration. The Sample MMCIP Coverage Letter will be completed and sent via e-mail after all of the paperwork is complete and processed. All required materials must be returned to OSA at least four weeks prior to your departure.
- Off Campus Elective Form
- International Elective Request Form
- UMB International Travel Risk Policy
- UMB Travel Assistance ID Card
- Student Travel Release
- Maryland Medicine Comprehensive Insurance Program
- Sample MMCIP Coverage Letter
- International SOS UMB Portal - Register here by clicking on the "My Trips" link on the right-hand side of the page.
Other Pre-travel Requirements
- All UM students are to register their international travel plans using the Travel Request Form. The form collects emergency information to help UM reach you in the event of a crisis. The Travel Request Form is used for travel on UM business, whether or not travel will be reimbursed by UM. Access the form via the myUM Portal, or work with your unit's travel coordinator.
- U.S. citizens traveling or living overseas are encouraged to register with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- Non-U.S. citizens should register with their country’s embassy in the destination country or countries.
- If the off-campus elective requires evacuation insurance, this is not covered by your health insurance plan. You will have to secure it from an outside company. One company that has been used by previous students is the Tokio Marine HCC Medical Insurance Services Group. The phone number is 1-800-605-2282