Skip to main content

Pre-travel Requirements

Required Reading

  • International Electives
    If you are interested in an international elective, please visit the above link for information on international electives.
  • Off Campus Elective Form Instructions
    This instruction guide will help you to fill out the Off-Campus Elective form correctly. Please read this form before submitting an off-campus form to a departmental coordinator. 

Required Forms

All the forms below are required to process your international elective registration. The Sample MMCIP Coverage Letter will be completed and sent via e-mail after all of the paperwork is complete and processed. All required materials must be returned to OSA at least four weeks prior to your departure. 



Other Pre-travel Requirements 

  • All UM students are to register their international travel plans using the Travel Request Form. The form collects emergency information to help UM reach you in the event of a crisis. The Travel Request Form is used for travel on UM business, whether or not travel will be reimbursed by UM. Access the form via the myUM Portal, or work with your unit's travel coordinator.
  • U.S. citizens traveling or living overseas are encouraged to register with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
  • Non-U.S. citizens should register with their country’s embassy in the destination country or countries.

Additional Information

  • If the off-campus elective requires evacuation insurance, this is not covered by your health insurance plan. You will have to secure it from an outside company. One company that has been used by previous students is the Tokio Marine HCC Medical Insurance Services Group. The phone number is 1-800-605-2282