Program for Aging, Trauma, & Emergency Care (PATEC)
- Traumatic injury and needs for emergency care in older adults are under-recognized and growing public health problems.
- 1.8 million older people are seen in emergency rooms for accidental injuries each year.
- 40% of the nation’s trauma patients will be 65 or older by 2050.
- Falls are a leading cause of injury-related deaths among older people.
- Most common cause of hospital admissions for people over 80.
- Most head trauma is caused by falls.
- Older people are the largest consumers of emergency care, but are more complicated to treat than younger patients.
- Older people often present with chronic health problems for which they may be taking multiple medications. They may also have cognitive impairments and difficulty seeing or hearing, making it easier to miss the subtle symptoms of an acute episode or illness.
- Patients are frequently admitted with fractures, neurotrauma, and internal injuries.
The Program for Aging, Trauma, and Emergency Care (PATEC) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine Department of Epidemiology and Public Health advances the research needed to improve the treatment and recovery of older adults following illness and serious injury requiring trauma and emergency care. The PATEC brings together more than 40 clinicians and researchers from the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Social Work at the University of Maryland and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
With multiple NIH awards and internationally recognized strengths in aging, trauma, and emergency care, PATEC joins the clinical and research expertise of the Center for Research on Aging, the Department of Emergency Medicine, and the Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research Center (STAR) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
The Center for Research on Aging includes four NIH Centers of Excellence:
The Department of Emergency Medicine includes a network of 15 emergency departments. The Program in Trauma includes:
- Center for Shock, Trauma, and Anesthesiology Research Center (STAR)
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- National Study Center for Trauma and EMS
For further information about PATEC, contact Lily Jarman-Reisch at email@example.com.
For More Information
Contact Lily Jarman-Reisch at firstname.lastname@example.org.