Skip to main content

School of Medicine Grading Policy

The following regulations relate to grading, advancement and dismissal. Established rules for advancement and dismissal during all four years have been approved by the faculty and student body representatives of the School of Medicine Council. The faculty reserves the right to determine whether a student may withdraw, repeat, advance or graduate on academic or moral and personal grounds, including traits of character.

The University of Maryland School of Medicine has a letter grade policy. Final grades for courses in all four years are recorded as follows unless otherwise specified by course director:

H Honors
A Excellent
B Very Good
C Satisfactory
D Unsatisfactory- "D" grades may not serve as a final course grade. They are remediable by examination (or other appropriate means designed by the course director) or by repeating the course. Remediation by examination will permit a maximum grade of "C" possible on the portion of the course remediated. A final grade will be determined by the course director. If the final grade is a "C", both the "D" and the "C" grades will appear on the transcript with a GPA of 1.5 for the course. If the course is remediated by repetition, the student may earn the maximum grade possible in the course. In both cases the "D" and the grade for the repetition will appear on the transcript to make it clear that this is a remediated course. The mean of the two grades will make up the GPA for the course.
F Fail- Requires repeat of the course or an approved equivalent.
I Incomplete- This designation is used when mitigating circumstances exist; e.g., illness or unavoidable absence has prevented the student from completing the course on time. In addition, unless agreed upon in advance with the clerkship director or course director, any student who has not completed all requirements for a third or fourth year course or rotation by the end of the sixth week after its completion shall be given a grade of "incomplete." An "I" grade shall stand on the student's transcript even once a final grade has been assigned. An explanation for an "I" grade shall be included in the student's MSPE. If the required remaining coursework is not completed within 1 year, the grade will become an "I/W."


An award of "Honors" is given to a student who receives a final grade of "A" and performs at a clearly outstanding level and/or who performs an additional scholarly effort. Specific criteria for "Honors" are determined by the course director or course committee.

In the clinical years, plus and minus grades may be awarded for grades A, B and C.

Other grading policies by specific courses such as Pass/Fail grading are announced to the class at the beginning of the course.

In addition to the final objective grade and the "Honors" category, the student's overall performance is evaluated subjectively. The curriculum, with small group activities, allows for such assessment in the basic science years. Clinical years' activities are in small groups with close mentoring. A passing grade in any course is contingent upon a certain level of attendance and participation above and beyond examination performance. Appropriate evaluation forms are designed for this purpose.

Where do I obtain the Routing Form?UMB web-based Routing FormThe OSR Administrator will submit the electronic form. The PI and student are responsible for answering the questions on the Routing Form.When should I begin routing?Contact the OSR Administratorat least 4 weeks in advance of grant deadlines.Route applications and proposals BEFORE submitting to the Sponsor, including electronic submissions.Submit the application to the OSR at least nine (9) business days prior to the agency deadline for review & validation.Ensure that the budget (if required) is submitted to OSR and ORD is the Final Budget.What signatures are required?Principal InvestigatorFaculty Supervisor/Mentor when the PI is a StudentOSR Assistant DeanDean's OfficeWhat does ORD require in order to sign the application?Completed, signed University Routing FormCompleted application Face PagePI signature on application, and other signatures required by Sponsor and OSR/Dean's OfficeInternal spreadsheet budget (if a detailed budget is not required by Sponsor).If cost-sharing is required by the sponsor, a Cost Sharing Approval Form must be completed and signed by the Dean's Office.Collaborator's Chair/Dean Sign Off - If a Collaborator from another department/school is committing effort to the projectIf human subjects are involved – On the routing form, choose Approved, Pending or To Be Submitted; provide the protocol number if known.If animal research is involved- On the routing form, choose Approved, Pending or To Be Submitted; provide the protocol number if known.Project plan or scope of work (draft is acceptable if required)Final proposal uploaded to web-based routing form or sponsor website for electronic submission, or final version of hard-copy submission with the exception that the scope of work (if applicable) may be in draft.Who sends the application to the Sponsor?The OSR (or designee) will be responsible for sending the hard-copy application to the sponsor.ORD is responsible for submitting most electronic proposals. If a sponsor does not require submission by an "authorized organization official" (or similar), OSR (or designee) will be responsible for submitting the electronic proposal or for authorizing its submission.What if we make changes to the application (hard copy) after ORD sign-off?No changes may be made to the budget or to required cost-sharing commitments after signatures are obtained.A final copy of the submitted hard copy application must be sent to the OSR, mentor and ORD simultaneously with submission to the Sponsor. This should be done via the OSR Administrator.Always provide a final copy of the submitted application to the SOM's Office for Research Subjects if human subject research is proposed.>Last Revision: January 23, 2013