2023 Match Day
Friday, March 17, 2023
Rams Head Live!
20 Market Place, Baltimore, MD 21202
Doors open at 10:30 am
This year’s event will be a fun and festive reception. Match results envelopes will be distributed in the venue lobby at noon, and students will be asked to open their envelopes in the venue at the same time to experience the excitement together! Prior to that, we will serve breakfast, take a class photo, and have a short program.
Tickets are required for this event. Additional information will be sent to students as the event approaches.
Match Day Facts
- In the annual ceremony known as "Match Day," graduating medical students around the country and at the University of Maryland School of Medicine discover where they will begin their careers as doctors.
- During the emotionally charged, suspense-filled event, students are handed an envelope revealing which residency program has accepted them.
- The ritual takes place at the same time on the same day for all graduating U.S. medical students.
- At the same moment, the students learn the location for the next phase of their training.
- The annual "Match" is conducted by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) - a computerized system that matches the preferences of applicants with the preferences of residency programs at U.S. teaching hospitals.
- The NRMP is a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952 to provide uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education throughout the United States.
- Each year approximately 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors compete for residency positions in the United States.
- Up until 2014, the University of Maryland School of Medicine, "Match" was held in historic Davidge Hall - the oldest medical school building in continuous use in the United States. It is now held at a large venue in Baltimore so that families and friends can join the celebration.
- More than 50 percent of Maryland's practicing physicians and other health care professionals are School of Medicine graduates.