2019 Match Day
March 15, 2019
10am - 2pm
The Hippodrome Theatre
12 N. Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Entrance into The Hippodrome Theatre will require a ticket. Hippodrome doors will open to students and all other attendees at 10 a.m. Theatre doors will open at 11 a.m.
Match Day Facts
- In the annual ceremony known as "Match Day," graduating medical students around the country and at the University of Maryland School of Medicine discover where they will begin their careers as doctors.
- During the emotionally charged, suspense-filled ceremony, students are handed an envelope revealing which residency program has accepted them.
- The ritual takes place at the same time on the same day for all graduating U.S. medical students.
- At the same moment, the students learn the location for the next phase of their training.
- The annual "Match" is conducted by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) - a computerized system that matches the preferences of applicants with the preferences of residency programs at U.S. teaching hospitals.
- The NRMP is a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952 to provide uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education throughout the United States.
- Each year approximately 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors compete for residency positions in the United States.
- Up until 2014, the University of Maryland School of Medicine, "Match" was held in historic Davidge Hall - the oldest medical school building in continuous use in the United States. Match Day is now held in the Hippodrome Theatre, located in Baltimore Maryland.
- Students are called in random order, heightening the suspense. After receiving a match letter, each student drops a donation into a bag, and the money is given to the last person to receive his/her letter, who often uses it to fund a post-Match bash.
- More than 50 percent of Maryland's practicing physicians and other health care professionals are School of Medicine graduates.