Gastroenterology Division Chief at the UMMC Midtown Campus
Associate Professor of Medicine Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology University of Maryland School of Medicine Head, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology University of Maryland Midtown Campus
410-328-5780 (downtown office)
443-552-2539 (midtown office)
Education and Training
Raymond E. Kim, M.D.is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland. He also serves as Gastroenterology Division Head at the UMMC Midtown Campus.
Dr. Kim received his medical degree from the Ajou University School of Medicine.
He completed his postgraduate training in Internal Medicine at the University of Kansas and Kansas City VA Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.
He completed a Gastroenterology and Hepatology fellowship at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
In addition, Dr. Kim finished additional advanced endoscopy training at the University of Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Kim is an accomplished physician and researcher specializing in gastroenterology and hepatology. He developed a strong interest in the emerging field of endoscopic surgery during his time as an Advanced Endoscopy Fellow and Junior Faculty member at the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at UMSOM. Recognizing the potential of this minimally invasive approach, Dr. Kim traveled to South Korea to learn advanced endoscopic surgery techniques, including Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) and Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM).
Upon returning to UMMC, Dr. Kim established an Endoscopic Surgery Program and became a pioneer in performing advanced procedures such as ESD and POEM. He has successfully conducted numerous cases, particularly for patients who were not suitable candidates for traditional surgery. Dr. Kim's expertise also extends to endoscopic suturing, which he combines with surgical techniques to achieve improved outcomes for his patients. His innovative approach has gained recognition within the medical community, positioning him as one of the leading experts in endoscopic surgery in Maryland.
Dr. Kim actively shares his experiences and insights through presentations at international gastrointestinal conferences and by publishing manuscripts in prestigious medical journals. He has authored several papers describing challenging endoscopic surgery cases, showcasing his ability to address complex medical conditions. Dr. Kim is also actively engaged in research, with multiple peer-reviewed articles already published and several manuscripts currently under review or nearing completion.
In addition to his research and clinical work, Dr. Kim is committed to providing exceptional patient care. He performs a high volume of endoscopic procedures and regularly sees patients in his practice at UMMC, UMMC-MTC, and the BVAMC. Dr. Kim has extended the reach of his expertise to various communities, expanding the endoscopy referral base and serving patients from Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Washington DC, and nearby areas. Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Kim has maintained his clinical productivity and continued to deliver urgent endoscopic procedures to patients in need.
Throughout his career, Dr. Kim has demonstrated leadership and organizational skills. He served as Chief of Gastroenterology at UMMC-MTC, overseeing a significant increase in clinical volumes and securing resources to enhance the capabilities of the endoscopy suite.
Teaching is another important aspect of Dr. Kim's professional journey. He actively imparts his knowledge and expertise to students, residents, and fellows at UMSOM. Dr. Kim is particularly passionate about teaching endoscopic skills, considering them essential for gastroenterologists. He delivers didactic lectures, provides hands-on training, and mentors residents and fellows, leading to numerous publications and presentations by his mentees at national scientific meetings. In recognition of his exceptional teaching abilities, Dr. Kim received the Faculty Teacher of the Year Award from the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in 2019.
Dr. Kim's dedication to advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding patient care, and nurturing the next generation of physicians has earned him immense respect and influence in the field of gastroenterology and hepatology.
POEM, NOTES, ESD, Endoscopic suturing, ESG
Manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals (in chronologic order):
- Observer agreement in the assessment of narrowband imaging system surface patterns in Barrett's esophagus: a multicenter study. Singh M, Bansal A, Curvers WL, Kara MA, Wani SB, Alvarez Herrero L, Lynch CR, van Kouwen MC, Peters FT, Keighley JD, Rastogi A, Pondugula K, Kim RE, Singh V, Gaddam S, Bergman JJ, Sharma P. Endoscopy. 2011 Sep;43(9):745-51. doi: 10.1055/s-0030-1256631. Epub 2011 Aug 10.
- Balloon dilation with corticosteroid injections a durable endoscopic option for Crohn’s- related pyloric stenosis. Frist M, Jensen Scott, Kim RE, Borum M. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Volume 17, December 2011. doi.org/10.1097/00054725-201112002-00169
- Clinical utility and interobserver agreement of autofluorescence imaging and magnification narrow-band imaging for the evaluation of Barrett's esophagus: a prospective tandem study.Giacchino M, Bansal A, Kim RE, Singh V, Hall SB, Singh M, Rastogi A, Moloney B, Wani SB, Gaddam S, Mathur SC, Wallace MB, Kanakadandi V, Balasubramanian G, Gupta N, Sharma P. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 May;77(5):711-8. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2013.01.029. Epub 2013 Feb 20.
- Post-transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder Presenting as Colonic Ulcers. Wong U, Kim RE. American Journal of Gastroenterology. October 2015 Volume 110, p S180
- Usefulness of argon plasma coagulation ablation subsequent to endoscopic snare papillectomy for ampullary adenoma. Nam K, Song TJ, Kim RE, Cho DH, Cho MK, Oh D, Park DH, Lee SS, Seo DW, Lee SK, Kim MH, Baek S. Dig Endosc. 2018 Jul;30(4):485-492. doi: 10.1111/den.13008. Epub 2018 Jan 24.
- Contrast-enhanced endoscopic ultrasound for differentially diagnosing autoimmune pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. Cho MK, Moon SH, Song TJ, Kim RE, Oh DW, Park DH, Lee SS, Seo DW, Lee SK, Kim MH. Gut Liver. 2018 Sep 15;12(5):591-596. doi: 10.5009/gnl17391.
- Boerhaave syndrome treated with endoscopic suturing. Chen A, Kim RE. VideoGIE. 2019 Jan 26;4(3):118-119. doi: 10.1016/j.vgie. 2018.12.005. eCollection 2019 Mar.
- Poetic justice: a case of resolved intractable hiccups following POEM for achalasia. Christian K, Wellington J, Kim RE, Quezada S, Xie G. ACG Case Rep J. 2019 Apr 8;6(4):e00001. doi: 10.14309/crj.0000000000000001. eCollection 2019 Apr.
- Endoscopic closure devices: a review of technique and application for hemostasis; J Wellington J, Cannakis A, Kim RE; Int J Gastrointest Interv. 2019 Jul;8(3):127-133. doi: 10.18528/ijgii190012
- Successful closure with endoscopic suturing of a recalcitrant marginal ulcer despite Roux-en-Y gastric bypass reversion. Liu S, Kim RE. VideoGIE. 2019 Oct 14;4(12):554-555. doi: 10.1016/j.vgie.2019.09.001. eCollection 2019 Dec.
- Recognizing intrapancreatic accessory spleen via EUS: interobserver variability. Kim GE, Morris JD, Anand N, DePalma F, Greenwald BD, Kim RE, Laczek J, Lee WJ, Papadopoulas I, Uradomo L, Young P, Darwin PE. Endosc Ultrasound. 2019 Nov-Dec;8(6):392-397. doi: 10.4103/eus.eus_35_19.
- Safety and efficacy of endoscopic submucosal dissection for rectal neoplasia: a multicenter North American experience. Yang D, Aihara H, Perbtani YB, Wang AY, Aadam AA, Tomizawa Y, Hwang JH, Zou B, Natov NS, Siegel A, Khoshknab MP, Khashab MA, Ngamruengphong S, Khara HS, Diehl DL, Maniere T, Andrawes S, Benias P, Kumta NA, Ramay F, Kim RE, Samarasena J, Chang K, Hashimoto R, Tharian B, Inamdar S, Lan G, Sethi A, Nosler MJ, Tabash A, Othman MO, Draganov PV. Endosc Int Open. 2019 Dec;7(12):E1714-E1722. doi: 10.1055/a-1010-5663. Epub 2019 Dec 2.
- Successful hemostasis with endoscopic suturing of recurrent duodenal ulcer bleeding after failed initial endoscopic therapy and embolization. Chuang NT, Agarwal A, Kim RE. ACG Case Rep J. 2020 Feb 20;7(2):e00275. doi: 10.14309/crj.0000000000000275. eCollection 2020 Feb.
- A rare cause of dysphagia due to esophageal intramural pseudodiverticulosis: a case report and review of literature. Ali O, Asumu H, Kaur T, Mathew A, Kim RE. BMC Gastroenterol. 2020 Mar 16;20(1):72. doi: 10.1186/s12876-020-01209-y.
- Oesophageal necrosis and pneumomediastinum: always examine x-rays assiduously. Ching PR, Meddeb M, Marciniak ET, Rubin JN, Kim RE. Lancet. 2020 Apr 11;395(10231):e66. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30492-X.
- Severe Transaminitis and Iron Deposition Induced by Anorexia Nervosa. Lee W, Kim RE – Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Digestive Disorders. 2020; 3(2):1-3. Doi: 20-1048
- The Effect of Fluoroscopy Control on Cannulation Rate and Fluoroscopy Time in Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography Training. Kim RE, Kim G, Moris J, Urradomo L, Goldberg E, Darwin P. The Korean Journal of Pancreas and Biliary Tract. 2021 Jan; 2021; 26(1): 43-48. KJPBT 2020009. https://doi.org/10.15279/kpba.2021.26.1.43
- Advances for Gastric Neoplasia Detection. Canakis A, Kim R. Endoscopic Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2021 Jul;31(3):543-561. doi: 10.1016/j.giec.2021.03.007. PMID: 34053638.
- A Rare Cause of Esophagopleural Fistula Due to Intensity Modulated Photon Therapy: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Ali O, Challa SR, Ali S, Kim RE. Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology. 2021 Aug;14(4):955-960. doi: 10.1007/s12328-021-01388-5.
- Increasing Utilization of Endoscopic Local Excision for Early Stage Gastric Cancers in the United States: Newland JJ, Johnson AM, Feng Zhaoyong, Kim RE, Williams RT, Hanna N, Mullins CD, Hu Y. 2021 Nov
- Successful D-POEM after failed surgical myotomy and diverticulectomy: Leopold A, Kim RE. Video GIE. 2022 Mar. org/10.1016/j.vgie.2022.02.008
- Increasing utilization of endoscopic local excision for early-stage gastric cancers in the United States, Newland J, Johnson A, Feng Z, Kim RE, Williams RT, Hanna NN, Mullins CD, Hu Y. Surgery. 2022 Feb 28;S0039-6060(22)00065-4. doi:10.1016/j.surg.2022.01.034.
- Intraoperative Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography for Traumatic Pancreatic Ductal Injuries: Two case reports. Canakis A, Kesar V, Hudspath C, Kim RE, Scalea TM, Darwin P. World journal of Gastroenterology. May 16 2022. DOI: 10.4253/wjge.v14.i5.342
- Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy is an Effective Treatment Option for Managing Jackhammer Esophagus: A Single Center Experience. Canakis A, Kim RE. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. April 2022. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0000000000001717
- Extensive retroperitoneal multiloculated abscesses after open cholecystectomy associated with bile leak: A case report. Huang Y, Haleem Z, Pandey A, Sandhu P, Kim RE. British Journal of Radiology Case reports. May 2022. doi.org/10.1259/bjrcr.20210147
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of a tumor in the upper esophageal sphincter and piriform sinus. Kim R, Chatila A. VideoGIE. 2022 Sep 27;7(12):436-438. doi: 10.1016/j.vgie.2022.08.009. PMID: 36467525; PMCID: PMC9716427.
- Addressing the risk of monkeypox exposure during gastrointestinal endoscopy.Canakis A, Kim RE, Sinha P, Raufman JP. Ann Gastroenterol. 2023 Jan-Feb;36(1):1-5. doi: 10.20524/aog.2022.0770. Epub 2022 Nov 29. PMID: 36593811; PMCID: PMC9756032.
- Closure of Mucosal Defects Using Endoscopic Suturing Following Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection: A Single Center Experience. Ali O, Canakis A, Huang Y, Patel H, Alizadeh M, Kim RE. TIGE. November 11, 2022DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tige.2022.11.002
- Chronic Intramural Dissection Creating a Management Challenge in Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Endoscopic Septotomy to the Rescue. Canakis A, Causey E, Ali O, Kim RE. Dig Dis Sci. 2023 Jan 7. doi: 10.1007/s10620-022-07814-z. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36609731.
- A novel through-the-scope helix tack-and-suture device for mucosal defect closure following colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection: a multicenter study. Farha J, Ramberan H, Aihara H, Zhang LY, Mehta A, Hage C, Schlachterman A, Kumar A, Shinn B, Canakis A, Kim RE, DʼSouza LS, Buscaglia JM, Storm AC, Samarasena J, Chang K, Friedland S, Draganov PV, Qumseya BJ, Jawaid S, Othman MO, Hasan MK, Yang D, Khashab MA, Ngamruengphong S; ESD-Closure working group. Endoscopy. 2023 Jan 12. doi: 10.1055/a-1970-5528. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36323330.
- Comparing clinical success and procedural difficulty between treatment-naïve and treatment-refractory patients with esophageal motility disorders during per oral endoscopic myotomy. Kadiyala J, Canakis A, Lee DU, Xue P, Fan GH, Kim RE. Gastrointest Endosc. 2023 Feb 3:S0016-5107(23)00091-3. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2023.01.052. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36739994.
- Zenker's peroral endoscopic myotomy for management of large Zenker's diverticulum. Endoscopy. Zhang LY, Hernández Mondragón O, Pioche M, Steinway SN, Nieto J, Ujiki MB, VanDruff VN, Kim RE, Canakis A, Tantau M, Tantau A, Pop A, Jacques J, Lajin M, Desai P, Shrigiriwar A, Bejjani M, Kumta NA, Khashab MA. Gastrointest Endosc 2023 Feb 24. doi: 10.1055/a-2025-0715. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36827992.
- Novel Through-the-Scope Suture Closure of Colonic Endoscopic Mucosal Resection Defects. Bi D, Zhang LY, Alqaisieh M, Shrigiriwar A, Farha J, Mahmoud T, Akiki K, Almario Jose A, Shah-Khan SM, Gordon SR, Adler JM, Radetic M, Draganov PV, David YN, Shinn B, Mohammed Z, Schlachterman A, Yuen S, Al-Taee A, Yunseok N, Trasolini R, Bejjani M, Ghandour B, Ramberan H, Canakis A, Ngamruengphong S, Storm AC, Singh S, Pohl H, Bucobo JC, Buscaglia JM, D'Souza LS, Qumseya B, Kumta NA, Kumar A, Haber GB, Hiroyuki A, Sawhney M, Kim RE, Berzin TM, Khashab MA. Gastrointest Endosc. 2023 Mar 6:S0016-5107(23)00300-0. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2023.02.031. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36889364.
- Through-the-scope suture closure of nonampullary duodenal endoscopic mucosal resection defects: a retrospective multicenter cohort study. Almario JA, Zhang LY, Cohen J, Haber GB, Ramberan H, Storm AC, Gordon S, Adler JM, Pohl H, Schlachterman A, Kumar A, Singh S, Qumseya B, Draganov PV, Kumta NA, Canakis A, Kim RE, Aihara H, Shrigiriwar A, Ngamruengphong S, Khashab MA; Working group. Endoscopy. 2023 May 19. doi: 10.1055/a-2077-4832. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37207666.
- Outcomes after endoscopic local excision of early-stage gastric adenocarcinoma in the United States. Newland JJ, Johnson AM, Feng Z, Kim RE, Williams RT, Hanna NN, Mullins CD, Hu Y. Surg Oncol. 2023 Apr 6;48:101937. doi: 10.1016/j.suronc.2023.101937. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37058972.
- Gastric Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy for Management of Refractory Gastroparesis in Patients with Gastric Neurostimulator Devices: A Multicenter Retrospective Case Control Study. Ichkhanian Y, Al-Haddad MA, Jacobs CC, Schlachterman A, Yang J, Canakis A, Kim RE, Guerson-Gil A, D'Souza LS, Alsheik E, Ginnebaugh BD, Khashab MA, Zuchelli T, Kellie M, Piraka C; G-POEM study-group. Gastrointest Endosc. 2023 Apr 28:S0016-5107(23)02493-8. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2023.04.2079. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37121364.
- Incorporating the POEM learning curve into the analysis of prior treatments and POEM procedural outcomes. Kadiyala J, Canakis A, Lee DU, Xue P, Fan GH, Kim RE. Gastrointesitnal Endoscopy. 2023 Mar 23
- Response to the letter to the editor: Does Prior Treatment Not Affect the Clinical Success Rate of POEM? Propensity Score Matching is Needed. Lee DU , Kadiyala J, Canakis A, , Xue P, Fan GH, Kim RE. Gastrointesitnal Endoscopy. 2023 Apr 6
Web Based Journal Articles
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) and Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD). Kim RE. 2019.
- Combination of pocket-creation, recurrent jet injection of dyed saline, and a single-channel suturing system to facilitate endoscopic submucosal dissection of a large, laterally spreading rectal tumor. Chudy-Onwugaje K MD, Kim RE MD. ASGE GI Leap.
- Endoscopic Suturing as Rescue Therapy in Esophageal Perforation. Ofori E MD, Kim RE. ASGE GI Leap. 2020
- Hudson M, Kim RE, Goldberg E, Book title : Advanced Pancreaticobiliary Endoscopy, Chapter title : Endoscopic management of Complex Biliary and Pancreatic Injuries; First edition, Springer, 2016, pp 67-91
Abstracts and/or Proceedings
- Use of video-auto fluorescence imaging (AFI) and magnification narrow band imaging (zoom-NBI) In Barrett's esophagus: an inter-observer agreement atudy. Kim RE, Singh V, Hall S, Singh M, Rastogi A, Moloney B, Wani S, Gaddam S, Mathur S, Wallace M, Sharma P, Bansal A; [DDW poster presentation 2010]
- Balloon dilation with corticosteroid injections: a durable endoscopic option for Crohn's-related pyloric stenosis; Frist M, Jensen S, Kim RE, Borum ML. [CCFA poster presentation 2011]
- Computer aided diagnosis using narrow band imaging (NBI) – a novel objective tool for differentiating tubular adenoma and hyperplastic colon polyps. Kim RE, Gupta N, Vennalaganti P, Repici A, Parasa S, Guda N, Sharma P. [DDW 2014 poster presentation]
- The effect of endoscopist control of fluoroscopy on cannulation rate and fluoroscopy time during ERCP training. Uradomo L, Goldberg M, Kim RE, DePalma F, Anand N, Gosain S, Goldberg E, Darwin P. [DDW 2014 poster presentation]
- The early effect of maryland’s new healthcare delivery system reform on tertiary hospital transfers and GI procedure volume. Kim RE, Lee I, Goldberg E, Uradomo L, Darwin P. [DDW 2015 poster presentation]
- Post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder presenting as colonic ulcers. Wong U, Kim RE. [ACG 2015 poster presentation]
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) mucosotomy closure times are comparable between endoscopic suturing and clipping. Hwang D, Kim RE. [DDW 2018 poster presentation]
- MRCP is more likely to be performed prior to in hospitals where ercp is not available. Zhang J, Kim RE, Darwin P, Goldberg E, Uradomo L. [DDW 2018 poster presentation]
- Successful hemostasis with endoscopic suturing of persistent duodenal ulcer bleeding after failed initial endoscopic therapy and embolization. Nelson Chuang, Raymond E. Kim. [DDW 2018 poster presentation]
- Endoscopic suturing of mucosal defects after endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) results in no delayed bleeding or perforation. Ramay F, Kim RE. [DDW 2018 poster presentation]
- Autocannibalism: severe transaminitis and iron deposition induced by malnutrition. Lee W, Kim RE. [ACG 2018 poster presentation]
- A Case tough to swallow: esophageal intramural pseudo-diverticulosis. Ali O, Asumu H, Kim RE. [ACG 2018 poster presentation]
- Boerhaave syndrome treated with endoscopic suturing. Chen A, Kim RE. [ACG 2018 poster presentation]
- Optimal esophageal myotomy length for spastic esophageal disorders individualized by peri-procedural endoflip 2.0 with flip® topography module: Wellington J, Hwang D, Xie G, Kim RE. [DDW 2019 poster presentation]
- Learning curve in peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) synergizes with prior and concurrent endoscopic mucosal dissection (ESD) experience: Hwang D, Rubin J, Kim RE. [DDW 2019 poster presentation]
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) mucosotomy closure times are comparable between endoscopic suturing and clipping: Hwang D, Kim RE. [DDW 2019 poster presentation]
- Rectal syphilis presenting as painless hematochezia; Ching P, Rubin J, Twaddell W, Kim RE MD. [ACG 2019 poster presentation]
- Successful treatment using POEM and adjunct endoscopic therapies in submucosal tunneling and submucosal tunneling endoscopic resection (STER) in the treatment of large circumferential esophageal cancer; Ali O, Kim RE. [ACG 2019 poster presentation]
- Effect of anesthetics during endoflip impacts diagnosis of esophageal motility disorders; Wellington J, Kim RE. [DDW 2020 poster presentation]
- Endoscopic functional lumen imaging probe: completing high resolution impedance manometry for diagnosis of dysphagia; Yang A, Kim RE. [DDW 2020 poster presentation]
- Combination of pocket-creation, recurrent jet injection and single-channel suturing to facilitate endoscopic submucosal dissection of a large, laterally spreading, tumor; Chudy-Onwugaje K, Kim RE. [DDW 2020 video presentation]
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) characteristics and outcomes; Hwang D, Kim RE. [DDW 2020 poster presentation]
- Endoscopic suturing as rescue therapy in esophageal perforation closure; Ofori E, Kim RE [DDW 2020 video presentation]
- Outcomes of endoscopic suturing following endoscopic submucosal dissection; Ali E, Kim RE [DDW 2021 oral presentation]
- Failed Heller myotomy with diverticulectomy? Success with POEM and diverticulotomy : A case series; Leopold A, Kim RE [DDW 2021 video plenary II oral presentation]
- Active Narcotic Use is Associated with Higher post-POEM Eckardt Scores Following Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy Treatment for Achalasia; Xue, P, Canakis A, Kadiyala, Kim RE [DDW 2022]
- A Novel Through-The Scope Helix Tack and Suture Device for Mucosal Defect Closure Following Colorectal Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD): A multicenter Study; Jad Farha, Kim RE, Ngamruengphong S [DDW 2022]
- Anesthesia Choice Can Affect EndoFLIP® Measurements and Thereby Misdiagnose Esophageal Motility Disorders, Grossman JL; Menegas S; Lee DU ; Kim RE [ACG 2023] - Presidential Poster Award
- Management Of Patients After Failed Gastric Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy (G-POEM): A Multicenter Study [DDW 2023]
- How Effective And Safe Is The Use Of Pediatric Endosonography ? A Multi-center Retrospective Cohort Study [DDW 2023]
- Clinical Outcomes Of Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy (Poem) In Patients With Spastic Esophageal Motility Disorders On Chronic Opioid Use: A Multicenter Study [DDW 2023]
- Assessing Image Quality Using Time-limited Fluoroscopy During ERCP - A Prospective Randomized Trial [DDW 2023]
After completing Fellowships in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at George Washington University Medical Center and Advanced Endoscopy at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), Dr. Kim joined the Faculty in the Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in 2016. Dr. Kim holds certifications in both General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology and Hepatology from the American Board of Internal Medicine. Dr. Kim's clinical practice is primarily located at UMMC, UMMC-Midtown Campus (MTC), and the Baltimore VA Medical Center (BVAMC).
Dr. Kim's expertise lies in advanced endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasonography, ERCP, endoscopic surgery, endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD), endoluminal functional lumen imaging (EndoFLIP), and per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM). Dr. Kim works closely with general, trauma, and thoracic surgeons, as well as oncologists and general gastroenterologists. Their primary goal is to deliver exceptional state-of-the-art advanced endoscopic treatments, and they frequently collaborate with colleagues on clinical and research projects to expand the clinical knowledge base. Dr. Kim is internationally recognized as an expert in endoscopic surgeries, particularly endoscopic suturing, ESD, and POEM procedures. He is sought after for consultation on interventional endoscopy and endoscopic surgery by hospitals across the region.
Faculty Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology – June 2019
Major Invited Speeches
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection. Tate Cancer Symposium. University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center, Tate Cancer Center, 305 Hospital Drive, Suite 301, Glen Burnie, MD USA. 2017
- Cutting Deeper with Endoscopy – ESD and POEM. Medicine Grand Rounds - UM-St. Joseph Medical Center, 7601 Osler Drive, Towson, MD, USA. 2017
- Cutting Deeper with Endoscopy – ESD and POEM. Medicine Grand Rounds - University of Maryland School of Medicine. 2017
- POEM: Treatment procedure for Achalasia. CSGNA 40th Anniversary Education Conference. Anne Arundel Medical Center, 2000 Medical Parkway, Annapolis, MD USA. 2019
- Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM). GI Grand Rounds – University of Maryland, School of Medicine. Baltimore, MD, USA 2019
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD). GI Grand Rounds – University of Maryland, School of Medicine. Baltimore, MD, USA 2021
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD). GI Grand Rounds – Temple University, 3401 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA, USA. 2020
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD). GI Grand rounds – University of Utah, 50 Medical Dr N, Salt Lake City, UT, USA 2021
- Endoscopic Suturing and Its Applications. GI Grand rounds – University of Maryland, School of Medicine. Baltimore, MD, USA 2022
- Barrett’s Esophagus, GI Grand Rounds – Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea, 2016
- ESD and POEM, 3rd United Conference of Hepatogastroenterology and Infectious Diseases – Cairo, Egypt, 2020
- Endoscopic suturing, 4th United Conference of Hepatogastroenterology and Infecitous Diseases – Cairo, Egypt, 2021
- Endoscopic suturing, The Annual Conference of Endemic Medicine Department Cairo University – Cairo, Egypt, 2022
- ESD practive from the West and the East – Seoul, South Korea, 2022