670 West Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
- B.Sc. in Biotechnology, Hunan University, China, 2003-2007
- M.Sc. in Biomedicine, East China Normal University, China, 2007-2010
- Dr.rer.nat in Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience (equivalent to Ph.D.), Eberhard-Karls University of Tübingen, Germany, 2010-2014
- Postdoc Fellow, Children’s National Medical Center, U.S., 2015-2017
- Postdoc Fellow, University of California Los Angeles,U.S., 2017-2019
Dr. Zhu's research interest is in the use of Drosophila as a model to study human disease mechanisms and treatment approaches. Dr. Zhu received his Ph.D. training in the Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, Tübingen University in Germany, working on a fly model carrying a mutant allele of the human gene Mortalin identified from German and Spanish Parkinson’s Disease patients. He generated the first Drosophila model for Mortalin-related Parkinson’s Disease, and investigated molecular disease mechanisms and drug treatment approaches using this model. After completing his Ph.D. in Germany, He joined Dr. Zhe Han’s laboratory as a postdoc fellow, to continue working on Drosophila models of human diseases, especially in the areas of heart, kidney and leukemia. In 2017, He joined Dr. Ming Guo’s laboratory in University of California Los Angeles to study heart and kidney pathology caused by deleterious mitochondrial DNA mutations using Drosophila as a model system. In 2019, He became a faculty member as Assistant Professor in University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Drosophila, Heart, Kidney, Congenital heart disease, Nephrotic syndrome, Genetic kidney diseases
- Zhao, F.*, Zhu, J.Y.*, Richman, A., Fu, Y., Huang, W., Chen, N., Pan, X., Yi, C., Ding, X., Wang, S., Wang, P., Nie, X., Huang, J., Yang, Y., Yu, Z., Han, Z., (2019) Mutations in NUP160 Are Implicated in Steroid-Resistant Nephrotic Syndrome. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 30(5):840-853. (*equal contribution)
- Zhu, J.Y.*, Fu, Y.*, Nettleton, M., Richman, A., Han, Z. (2017) High throughput in vivo functional validation of candidate congenital heart disease genes in Drosophila. eLife 6: e22617. (*equal contribution)
- Zhu, J.Y.*, Fu, Y.*, Richman, A., Zhao, Z., Ray, P.E., Han, Z. (2017) A personalized Drosophila model of COQ2 nephropathy rescued by the wild-type human COQ2 allele and dietary Q10 supplementation. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 28(9): 2607-2617. (*equal contribution)
- Zhu, J.Y., Heidersbach, A., Kathiriya, I.S., Garay, B., Carver-Moore, K., Ivey, K.N., Srivastava, D., Han, Z., King, I.N. (2017) The E3 Ubiquitin Ligase Nedd4/Nedd4L is Directly Regulated by microRNA-1. Development 144(5): 866-875.
- Zhu, J.Y.*, Fu, Y.*, Richman, A., Han, Z. (2017) Validating Candidate Congenital Heart Disease Genes in Drosophila. Bio-Protocol 7(12). (*equal contribution)
- Fu, Y. *, Zhu, J.Y.*, Richman A., Zhang, Y., Xie, X., Das, J.R., Li, J., Ray, P.E., Han, Z. (2017) APOL1-G1 in Drosophila nephrocytes induces hypertrophy and accelerates cell death. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 28(4): 1106-1116. (*equal contribution)
- Fu, Y.*, Zhu, J.Y.*, Richman, A., Zhao, Z., Zhang, F., Ray, P.E., Han, Z., (2017) A Drosophila model system to assess the function of human monogenic podocyte mutations that cause nephrotic syndrome. Human Molecular Genetics 26(4): 768-780. (*equal contribution)
- Fu, Y.*, Zhu, J.Y.*, Zhang, F.*, Richman, A, Zhao, Z., Han, Z., (2017) Comprehensive functional analysis of Rab GTPases in Drosophila. Cell & Tissue Research 368(3): 615-627. (*equal contribution)
- Zhu, J.Y., Vereshchagina, N., Sreekumar, V., Burbulla, L.F., Costa, A.C., Daub, K.J., Woitalla D., Miguel Martins, L., Krüger, R., Rasse T.M., (2013) Knockdown of Hsc70-5/Mortalin induces loss of synaptic mitochondria in a Drosophila Parkinson’s disease model. PLoS ONE 8(12): e83714.
- Wang, Y., Liu, Y.Z., Tang, W., Zhu, J.Y., Chen, Q., Wang, Z., (2018) NMDA receptor-gated visual responses in hippocampal CA1 neurons. Journal of Physiology 596(10): 1965-1979.
- Basu, M., Zhu, J.Y., LaHaye S., Majumdar U., Jiao K., Han, Z., Grag, V. (2017) Epigenetic mechanism underlying maternal diabetes-associated risk of congenital heart disease. JCI Insight 2(20).
- Patel M.V., Zhu, J.Y., Jiang, Z., Richman, A., Van Berkum M.F., Han, Z. (2016) Gia/Mthl5 is an aorta specific GPCR required for Drosophila heart tube morphology and normal pericardial cell positioning. Developmental Biology 414(1): 100-107.
- Chen, Z., Zhu, J.Y., Fu, Y., Richman, A., Han, Z. (2016) Wnt4 is required for ostia development in the Drosophila heart. Developmental Biology 413(2): 188-198.
- Gee, H.Y., Zhang F., Ashraf, S., Kohl, S., Sadowski C., Vega-Warner, V., Zhou, W., Lovric, S., Fang H., Nettleton, M., Zhu, J.Y., Hoefele, J., Weber, L., Podracka, L., Boor, A., Fehrebach, H., Innis, J., Washburn, J., Levy, S., Lifton, R.P., Otto, E., Han, Z., Hildebrandt, F. (2015) KANK deficiency leads to defective podocyte function and nephrotic syndrome. Journal of Clinical Investigation 125: 2375-2384.