UMMC, Vascular Center, S10B
Education and Training
- 1994-2001: Doctor of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Tehran, Iran
Post-Doctoral Education and Training
- 2005-2006: Internship, General Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 2006-2011: Resident, General Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- 2011-2013: Fellowship, Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2008-Present Fundamental of Microsurgery
- 2011-present Fundamental of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS)
- 2013-present Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI)
At the University of Maryland, I have re-organized our main campus vascular surgery practice. At the start of my tenure all surgeons were practicing as individual surgeons; however, during my time here I have changed this practice, instead creating a team of vascular surgeons. In doing so, I have created the first national Vascular Acute Case Surgery (VACS), modeling our team approach after Acute Care Surgery (ACS). Under my supervision and leadership, VACS became fully staffed and capable of providing year-round, seven days per week, twenty-four hours per day services for all vascular emergencies presenting to our hospital. Our organization’s successes utilizing this team approach in managing vascular emergencies have been both presented at national meetings and also published in national journals.
As the co-director of the Aortic Center, we have developed a comprehensive, regionally recognized program which addresses the most complex aortic pathologies utilizing innovative endovascular and hybrid approaches. Utilizing these approaches has allowed me to collaborate with other surgeons at my institution in order to perform ground-breaking ascending aorta and aortic arch repairs on patients presenting with Type A aortic dissections or aortic aneurysms, whom were deemed unfit for an open cardiac repair. Our clinical experiences of these cases have been presented in two international meetings: Society of Thoracic Surgery (STS) and Society of Clinical Vascular Surgery (SCVS).
Since 2017, I have spearheaded the incorporation of the fenestrated and complex endovascular repair of thoracoabdominal and juxta-renal aortic aneurysm within our hospital. Performing these procedures has led to reduced morbidity, enhanced outcomes and increased our clinical volume and complexity to the point that UMMC has the largest market share within this domain.
Within the upcoming weeks I intend to launch our Branch Endograft Program at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). This will allow us to treat patients with aortic aneurysms involving the visceral branch vessels using the Thoracoabdominal Branch Endoprosthesis (TAMBE) device. We will not only be the first site within the state of Maryland to use this device, but also, we will be the first site on the entire eastern coast of the United States utilizing the TAMBE device in order to repair patients with complex aortic disease.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Dehpour AR, Mani AR, Alikahni Z, Zeinoddini M, Tuorsavadkohi S, Ghaffari K, Sharif A, Sabbagh B, Nowroozi A, Sadr S. Enhancement of aspirin-induced gastric damage by cholestasis in rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 12:442-5. (I performed surgical operations and recovery of organs, analysis of data and ultimately editing the manuscript)
- Ghaffari K, Toursavadkohi S, Honar H, Riazi K, Shafaroodi H, Moezi L, Ebrahimkhani MR, Tahmasebi MS, Dehpour AR. Obstructive cholestasis alters intestinal transit in mice: Role of opioid system. Life Sci. 2004 Dec 10;76(4):397-406 (I performed surgical operations and recovery of organs, analysis of data and ultimately editing the manuscript)
- Toursavadkohi S, Abuljoud Outcome with Surgical Repair of Extra-hepatic Portal Vein Aneurysm, Ann Vasc Surg. 2011 Nov;25(8): 1140.e1-5.
- Swartz AL,Azuh O, Obeid LV, Munaco AJ, Toursavadkohi S, Adams J, Dulchavsky M, Dobie L, Berardo DJ, Horst M, Patton JH, Falvo AJ, Rubinfeld I. Developing an experimental model for surgical drainage. Department of Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital, Am J Surg. (2012) 203,388–391.
- Harris DG, Brenner ML, Ho M, Toursavadkohi S, Lilly MP, Crawford RS. Endovascular repair of an asymptomatic aortic pseudoaneurysm after penetrating injury. Ann Vasc Surg. 2014;28(8):1933.e15-8.
- Harris D,Klyushnenkova E, Kalsi R, Garrido D, Bhardwaj , Rabin J, Toursavadkohi S, Diaz J, Crawford R. Non-White Race is an Independent Risk Factor for Hospitalization for Aortic Dissection. Ethn Dis. 2016;26(3):363-368.
- Toursavadkohi S, Kakkos SK, Rubinfeld I, Shepard A. Lower Extremity Microembolism in Open vs. Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Front Surg. 2016;3:18.
- Harris DG,Rabin J, Starnes BW, Khoynezhad A, Conway RG, Taylor BS, Toursavadkohi S, Crawford RS. Evolution of lesion-specific management of blunt thoracic aortic injury. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Aug;64(2):500-505. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2015.12.066
- Harris DG,Rabin J, Bhardwaj A, June AS, Oates CP, Garrido D, Toursavadkohi S, Khoynezhad A, Crawford RS. Management of Traumatic Aortic Pseudoaneurysms. Nonoperative Ann Vasc Surg. June 2016.
- Application of a Hybrid Vascular Graft for Rapid Endoluminal Branch Anastomoses During Open Aortic Reconstruction. Sivaraman S,Harris D, Bhardwaj A, Steiner G, Magarakis M, Sarkar R, Crawford R, Toursavadkohi S. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2016 Apr;50(3):160-3. doi: 10.1177/1538574416637444. Epub 2016 Mar 18
- Harris DG, Garrido D, Oates CP, Huffner ME, Toursavadkohi S, Darling RC, Crawford RS. Repair of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm After Cardiac Arrest. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Nov;64(5):1497-1502. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.05.085. Epub 2016 Jul 26
- Harris DG, Huffner ME, Croal-Abrahams L, DiChiacchio L, Farivar BS, Ayers JD, Toursavadkohi S, Rabin J, Crawford RS. Thoracic Endovascular Repair of Blunt Thoracic Aortic Injury in the Setting of an Aberrant Right Subclavian Artery. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017 Jul; 42:302. e15-302.e20. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2016.12.012. Epub 2017 Apr 6
- June, AS; Harris, D.; Yoo, C; Garrido, D; Toursavadkohi, S; Sarkar, R; Crawford, RC. Percutaneous Treatment of Multiple Recurrent Thromboembolization from a Descending Thoracic Aortic Intimal Sarcoma. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2017 volume 38, pages 321.e5–321.e8 doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2016.06.036
- Hansraj, N , Hamdi, A , Khalifa, A , Toursavadkohi, S. Nutcracker Syndrome: Case Report on the Management of Recurrent Stenosis After Stenting. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, March 23, 2017 doi.org/10.1177/1538574417700012
- Farivar, B, Kalsi, R. Drucker, C. Goldstein, C. Sarkar, R. S Toursavadkohi. Implications of concomitant hypogastric artery embolization with endovascular repair of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms J Vasc Surg. 2017 Jul;66(1):95-101. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.10.124. Epub 2017 Feb 16
- Aicher B, Curry P, Croal-Abrahams L, Hao S, Kalsi R, Menon N, Drucker C, Harris D, Toursavadkohi S, Crawford R, Rosenberger S. Infrainguinal wound infections in vascular surgery: An antiquated challenge without a modern solution. J Vasc Nurs. 2017 Sep;35(3):146-156. doi: 10.1016/j.jvn.2017.03.002. Epub 2017 May 26
- Harris DG, Herrera A, Drucker CB, Kalsi R, Menon N, Toursavadkohi S, Defining the burden, scope, and future of vascular acute care surgery. Diaz JJ, Crawford RS. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Nov;66(5):1511-1517. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2017.04.060. Epub 2017 Jun 26
- Menon N, Drucker CB, Bhardwaj A, Kalsi R, Crawford RS, Sarkar R, Toursavadkohi S. Flow reduction aided thrombin injection for complex femoral pseudoaneurysms: Case series and review of the literature. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Jan; 46:367. e1-367.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2017.06.032. Epub 2017 Jun 21.
- Menon N, Khalifeh A, Drucker CB, Sahajwani S, Garrido D, Kalsi R, Lal BK, Toursavadkohi S. Transcervical Carotid Artery Stenting Using a Prosthetic Arterial Conduit: Case Series of a Novel Surgical Technique. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Feb; 47:279. e7-279.e12. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2017.06.039. Epub 2017 Jun 21.
- Hansraj N, Hamdi A, Wise ES, DiChiacchio L, Sarkar R, Toursavadkohi S. Open and Endovascular Management of Inferior Mesenteric Artery Aneurysms: A Report of Two Cases. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017 Aug; 43:316. e9-316.e14. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2017.04.014. Epub 2017 May 4
- Laser A, Drucker CB, Harris DG, Flohr T, Toursavadkohi S, Sarkar R, Taylor B, Crawford RS. Management and outcomes of carotid artery extension of aortic dissections. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Aug;66(2):445-453. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.12.137. Epub 2017 Apr 5.
- Mazzeffi M, Abuelkasem E, Drucker CB, Kalsi R, Toursavadkohi S, Harris DG, Rock P, Tanaka K, Taylor B, Crawford R. Contemporary Single-Center Experience with Prophylactic Cerebrospinal Fluid Drainage for Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair in Patients at High Risk for Ischemic Spinal Cord Injury. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018 Apr;32(2):883-889. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2017.12.002. Epub 2017 Dec 6
- Khalifeh A, Khashab T, Huffner M, Rezvani ZN, Kwan J, Toursavadkohi S. Radial neuropathy following arterial line removal: A rare complication from a routine ICU procedure. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2018; 6: 2050313X18760740 doi: 10.1177/2050313X18760740
- Talaie T, Werter C, Drucker C, Aicher BO, Crawford R, Toursavadkohi S. Laser Fenestration for Treatment of a Complicated Chronic Type B Aortic Dissection. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2018 Apr;52(3):212-217.
- Talaie T, Drucker C, Aicher B, Khalifeh A, Lal B, Sarkar R, Toursavadkohi Endovascular Thrombectomy of Septic Thrombophlebitis of the Inferior Vena Cava: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2018 Nov;52(8):641-647. doi: 10.1177/1538574418779475. Epub 2018 Jun 14
- Talaie T, Hansraj N, Werter C, Nagarsheth K, Monahan TS, Toursavadkohi Surgical Scarring After Arterial Bypass, an Etiology of Venous Hypertension. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Oct;52:315.e7-315.e10. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2018.04.010. Epub 2018 Jun 8
- Zhang J, Watson JD, Drucker C, Kalsi R, Crawford RS, Toursavadkohi S, Flohr T. Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA) not yet applicable for widespread out-of-hospital use: a case of nonsurvivable complication from prolonged REBOA inflation. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Apr; 56:354. e5-354.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2018.08.108. Epub 2018 Nov 27
- Khalifeh, A., Reif, M., Tolayamat, B., Karanja, J., Sarkar, R., Toursavadkohi, S. Iliofemoral Deep Venous Thrombosis in Kidney Transplant Patients Can Cause Graft Dysfunction, J Vasc Surg Cases Innov Tech. 2019 Mar; 5(1): 7–11. doi: 10.1016/j.jvscit.2018.08.012
- Farivar, B. S, Toursavadkohi, S., Monahan, T. S, Sharma, J., Ucuzian,A.A., Kundi, R.Sarkar, R., Lal,B.K Prospective Study of Cryopreserved Placental Tissue Wound Matrix in Management of Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers.. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 Mar;7(2):228-233. doi: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2018.09.016. Epub 2019 Jan 6.
- Orbay H, Khor D, Xu C, Steiner G, Nagarsheth KH, Monahan TS, Toursavadkohi S. A Unique Bailout Method for the Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurism with a Narrow Iliac Bifurcation. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Feb 23. pii: S0890-5096(19)30174-8. doi:1016/j.avsg.2018.12.096.
- Tolaymat B, Irizarry K, Reif M, Drucker CB, Aicher BO, Sarkar R, Toursavadkohi S, Monahan TS. Considerations Beyond Stenosis for Carotid Endarterectomy in Treating Free-Floating Thrombus of the Carotid Artery. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 May 8. pii: S0890-5096(19)30279-1. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2019.02.024. PMID: 31077769
- Zhang, J. Khalifeh, A. Santini Dominguez, R. Bruno, D. Gupta, A. Toursavadkohi, S. Endovascular Reconstruction of the Hepatic Arterial System for the Management of Mycotic Pseudoaneurysm in a Liver Transplant Patient. Annals of Vascular Surgery No.: AVS-D-19-00370R1
- Aicher BO, Hanlon E, Rosenberger S, Toursavadkohi S, Crawford RS. Reduced length of stay and 30-day readmission rate on an inpatient vascular surgery service. J Vasc Nurs. 2019 Jun;37(2):78-85. doi: 10.1016/j.jvn.2018.11.004. Epub 2019 Feb 13. PMID: 31155166
- Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles and Practice, Sixth Edition, Vascular Trauma, 6th Ed. 2017 © Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ISBN-10: 1-46989-001-1 / ISBN-13: 978- 1-46989-001-2 (2017)
- Current Vascular Surgery 2017: 42nd Northwestern Vascular Symposium, Chapter 36, Acute Limb Ischemia, Open vs Endovascular therapy. PMPH USA, Ltd; ISBN 9781607952886 (2017)
- Endovascular and Open Vascular Reconstruction: A Practical Approach: Torso Trauma- chapter 51- 2018 Publisher: Cactus ISBN-13: 978-1498760553 (2018)
- Endovascular and Open Vascular Reconstruction: A Practical Approach: Extremity Trauma- chapter 52- 2018 Publisher: Cactus ISBN-13: 978-1498760553 (2018)
- Rutherford's Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, 9th Edition, Vascular Laboratory: Venous Physiologic Assessment, 9th edition, Chapter 22, ISBN-13 9780323427913 (2018)
- Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles and Practice, Seventh Edition, Vascular Trauma, 7th Ed. 2019 © Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ISBN-10: 1-46989-001-1 / ISBN-13: 978- 1-46989-001-2 (2019) 6th Ed. 2017 © Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ISBN-10: 1-46989-001-1 / ISBN-13: 978- 1-46989-001-2 (2017)
Web based journal articles
- VSCORE Module “Non-atherosclerosis renal artery disease”. 01/31/2019.
- Up-to-date review articles on "Thoracic Aortic Challenges" for Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, a peer-reviewed journal indexed in Excerpta Medica (EMBASE) and Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch). (2019)
Abstracts and/or Proceedings
- Farhat-Sabet, A. Aicher, B. Tolaymat, B. Coca-Soliza, V. Nagarsheth, K. Ucuzian, A. Lubek, J. Toursavadkohi, S. An Alternative Approach to Carotid Endarterectomy in the High Carotid Bifurcation. Annals of Vascular Surgery, Accepted on June 2019
- Achier, B. Tolaymat, B. Monahan, T. Woodall, J. Calvert, C. Toursavadkohi S. Does perfusion matter? Pre-operative prediction of ventral hernia development. Journal of Hernia, Accepted on June 2019
Major Invited Speeches
Local and Regional
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Acute lower extremity arterial occlusive disease, Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium, May 2015 – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Management of infected lower extremity grafts, Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium, May 2016 – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Recanalization of occluded aortoiliac disease, Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium, May 2017 – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Current surgical treatment of Acute Massive and Submassive Pulmonary Embolism. Sep 2017 Annual teaching lectures Department of Cardiology – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Surgical treatment of Acute Aortic Syndrome. Oct 2017 Annual teaching lectures Department of Cardiology – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Modern management of Acute Pulmonary embolism Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium May 2018 – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Surgical treatment of Limb Ischemia. May 2019 Annual teaching lectures Department of Cardiology – UMMC
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Acute Aortic Dissection, Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium May 2019 – UMMC
- Toursavadkohi S, Rubinfield I, Shepard A. Lower Extremity Microembolism in Open vs. Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Oral presentation at Midwestern Vascular Society and received Emeric Szilagy Award for the best clinical research in 2010, Chicago IL
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Modern Management of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, American College of Surgeons, 2016 annual meeting in Washington D.C.
- Richa Kalsi, Toursavadkohi S, Acute Limb Ischemia after Aortic reconstruction, 2017, Midwestern Vascular Society, Chicago IL
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Devin, Watson MD, Ali Khalifeh MD, Rami Kantar MD, Samantha Cox MD, Rajabrata Sarkar MD PhD1, Management of Chronic Massive Traumatic Popliteal Artery Pseudoaneurysm: A Case Series with Evolution of Treatment, Presented at the Society of Vascular Sugary (SVS), San Diego meeting 2017.
- Shahab Toursavadkohi MD, Acute Limb Ischemia, Northwestern University Vascular Surgery Symposium Dec 2017 – Chicago IL
- Management of complex arterial and venous ulcers. Society of Vascular Nursing (SVN0 Annual Conference: Simulation Session- Washington DC 2019
Clinical Research Experience
- Co-Investigator, ULCER Study: Examining the Use of Viable Human Mesenchymal Matrix in Patients with Chronic Venous Ulcer Disease. Sponsored by MiMedex 2014-2016
- Co-Investigator, EUCLID: Examining the Use of Ticagrelor in Patients with Established Peripheral Arterial Disease. International, multi-site study founded by AstraZeneca, 2015-2018
- Co-Investigator, N-TA3CT: Treatment of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized clinical trial of doxycycline for the reduction of growth of small abdominal aortic aneurysm, 2016-2018
- Co-Investigator, TBE trial: a multicenter investigation of branched endovascular thoracic aortic repair using a unique retrograde perfusion to the targeted brachiocephalic artery, 2017-present
- Co-Investigator ARISE trial: a multicenter, pivotal investigation of an endovascular ascending aortic device using an adjustable, angulating, endograft, 2019-present
- Institutional Primary Investigator (PI), LEOPARD trial, a multicenter endovascular aortic repair investigation, 2016-2019
- Institutional Primary Investigator of CREST-2 trial at Baltimore VA Medical Center, 2017-present
- Primary Investigator (PI), RELAY-Pro trial, a multicenter endovascular thoracic aortic repair investigation, 2018-present
- Primary Investigator (PI), TAMBE Trial, a multicenter endovascular multibranch thoracoabdominal aortic repair investigation, 2019-present
Honors and Awards
- 2001: Certificate of Honor for 3rd position in Basic Medical Sciences comprehensive exam held among all medical schools, Iran
- 2006: Highest ABSITE score among hospital residents, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 2007-2010: Highest ABSITE score, every year, among hospital residents, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- 2010: Emerick Szilagyi Award for best clinical research in vascular surgery, Midwestern Vascular Society, Indianapolis, IN
- 2015: Annual Teaching Award for surgery residency program, UMMC
- 2017: Annual Teaching Award for surgery residency program, UMMC
- 2019: Annual Teaching Award for surgery residency program, UMMC
Professional Society Memberships
- 2011-present: Member of American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- 2014-present: Member of Society of Vascular Surgery (SVS)
- 2017-present: Member of Eastern Vascular Surgery (EVS)
- 2013-present: Director, Medical Students rotation on Vascular Surgery, UMMC
- 2016-present: Quality Improvement (QI) Officer of Vascular Surgery, UMMC
- 2016-2018: Director of Vascular Acute Care Surgery (VACS), UMMC
- 2017-present: Director of Annual Vascular Surgery Symposium, UMMC
- 2017-present: Co-Director of Aortic Center, University of Maryland Medical Center
- 2019-present: Associate Program Director, UMMC site-Vascular Surgery Fellowship Program
- 2016-present: Editorial Board Member, Frontier Journal
- 2016-present: Editorial Board Member, Annals of Vascular Surgery
- 2017-present: Editorial Board Member, Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery