Epidemiology & Public Health
Education and Training
Kermanshah Univerity of Medical Sciences, MD, 2003
Umea Univerity, MSc, 2008
University of Maryland Baltimore, Postdoctoral Study, Genetic Epidemiology, 2015
Fellowship American Heart Association
University of Maryland Baltimore, Postdoct oral Study,Epidemiology of Aging, 2017
Dr. Salimi is currently a research associate at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. She is both an epidemiologist and physician with experience in international research and implementations in public health. She has participated in designing and implementation of several research projects that have built the foundation for her epidemiological and statistical skills, culminating in several publications. Dr. Salimi has analyzed and published results from some of the largest epidemiological studies, such as NHANESIII, the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS) established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Baltimore Hip Study (BHS-7), and InCHIANTI study allowing her to perform complex survey-based and longitudinal statistical analyses. During her fellowship, her research area has been focused on genetic epidemiology and the epidemiology of aging, including genetic determinants of biomarkers and inflammatory states in relation to chronic conditions in older adults – a field where she continues her career. Her current interest is in studying biomarkers that predict chronic diseases in older adults using state-of-the-art “omics” data.
Biomarkers of Chronic diseases, aging, system biology, genetic epidemiology
Salimi S, Shardell MD, Seliger SL, Bandinelli S, Guralnik JM, Ferrucci L. Inflammation and Trajectory of Renal Function in Community-Dwelling Older Adult. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018. PMID: 29360163
Salimi S, Shardell MD, Miller R, Gruber-Baldini A, Orwig D, Hochberg M, Guralnik J, Magaziner J. Soluble tumor necrosis factor-alpha receptor1, bone resorption and bone mineral density in the year following hip fractures: The Baltimore Hip Studies JBMR-In Press.
Salimi S, Lewis JP, Yerges-Armstrong LM, Mitchell BD, Saeed F, O'Connell JR, Perry JA, Ryan KA, Shuldiner AR, Parsa A. Clopidogrel Improves Skin Microcirculatory Endothelial Function in Persons with Heightened Platelet Aggregation. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 31:5. PMCID: PMC5210318
Salimi S, NG N, Seliger S, Parsa A. Periodontal disease, renal dysfunction and heightened leukocytosis. Analysis of NHANES data. Nephron Clin Pract 2014;128: 107-14. PMID:25402594
ChoiSY, LimSW, Salimi S, YooEJ, Lee-KwonW, LeeHH, LeeJH, Sanada S, ParsaA, KwonHM. TonEBP mediates hyperglycemia-induced inflammation, and vascular and renal injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018 29:492-504. PMCID: PMC5791077
Parsa A, Kanetsky PA,Xiao R,Gupta J, Mitra N, Limou S, Xie D, Xu H,Anderson AH,Ojo A,Kusek JW, Lora CM,Hamm LL,He J, Sandholm N, Janina J,Raj DE, Böger CA,Bottinger E, Salimi S,Parekh RS, Sharon G. et al. and the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study Investigators. Genome-Wide Association of CKD Progression: The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 28:923-934. PMID: 27729571
Seliger SL, Salimi S, Pierre V, Giffuni J, Katzel L, Parsa A. Microvascular endothelial dysfunction is associated with albuminuria and CKD in older adults. BMC Nephrol 2016; 17:82. PMID:27412615
- Sadeghian S, Darvish S, Salimi S, Esfehani FA, Fallah N, Mahmoodian M, Salarifar M, Karimi A. Metabolic Syndrome: stronger association with coronary artery disease in young men in comparison to higher prevalence in young women. Coron Artery Dis 2007;18:163-8.
- Jafarian S, Gorouhi F, Salimi S, Lotfi J. Low-dose gabapentin in treatment of high-altitude headache. Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 1274-7.
- Jafarian S, Gorouhi F, Salimi S,Lotfi J. Sumatriptan for prevention of acute mountain sickness: randomized clinical trial. Ann Neurol. 2007; 62:273-7.
- Kashkouli MB,Salimi S,Aghaee H,Naseripour M. Bilateral pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis following bilateral simultaneous cataract surgery. Indian J Ophthalmol 2007; 55:374-5.
- Kashkouli MB, Salimi S, Bakhtiari P, Parvaresh MM, Sanjari MS, Naseripour M. EMLA cream application without occlusive dressing before upper facial botulinum toxin injection a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Trial. Ann Plast Surg 2008; 60:353-6.
- Kashkouli MB, Rezaee A, Nilforoushan N,Salimi S, Foroutan A, Naseripour M. Topical anti glaucoma medication and lacrimal drainage system. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 24:172-5.
- Dolan K, Salimi S, Nassirimanesh B, Mohsenifar S, Allsop D, Mokri A. The establishment of a methadone treatment clinic for women in Tehran, Iran. J Public Health Policy. 2011; 32:219-30.
- Dolan K, Salimi S, Nassirimanesh B, Mohsenifar S, Allsop D, Mokri A. Characteristics of Iranian Women Seeking Drug Treatment. J of Women’s Health 2011; 20:1687-1691.
- Mohsenifar S, Ghasemzadeh H, Salimi S, Arjmand M. A preliminary study on categorization type (rule-based versus family resemblance judgment) in a group of Iranian students. J Cogn Cult 2011;49-59.
- Dolan K, Salimi S, Nassirimanesh B, Mohsenifar S, Allsop D, Mokri A Six-month follow-up of Iranian women in methadone treatment: drug use, social functioning, crime and HIV and HCV. Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation 2012; 3:37- 43.
- Clausen F, Lindh T, Salimi S, Erlandsson A. Combination of growth factor treatment and scaffold deposition following traumatic brain injury has only a temporary effect on regeneration. Brain Res 2014; S0006-8993(14) 1118-4.
- Salimi S, Terplan M, Cheng D, Chislom M. The relationship between perinatal cigarette smoking and postpartum depression: an analysis of PRAM data. J Subst Abuse Treat 2015 S0740-5472,00067-7.
- Cheng D, Salimi S, Terplan M, Chislom M. The relationship between Intimate Partner Violence and prenatal and postnatal smoking:an analysis of PRAM data. Obstet Gynecol J 2015 125:356-62.
- Murigi FN, Mohindra P, Hung C, Salimi S, Goetz W, Pavlovic R, Jackson IL, Vujaskovic Z. Dose Optimization Study of AEOL 10150 as a Mitigator of Radiation-Induced Lung Injury in CBA/J Mice. Radiat Res 2015; 184:422-32.
Biomarkers of chronic disease in older adults and aging using state-of-the-art “omics” data and clinical application.
2011 National Institute on Drug Abuse, Travel Award
2011 World Health Organization, Travel Award
2014 National Institute on Drug Abuse, Travel Award
2014 Radiation Research Society, Young Investigator Award, Society
of Irradiation Training
2016 American Heart Association Fellowship
2017 Outstanding Presentation, Geriatrics and Gerontology Education
and Research Program
2017 Scientific Presentation, 10th Annual Aging Show Case, Johns Hopkins
PI: Pilot Principal Investigator with small funding 10K to further measure inflammatory markers in association with bone loss in men following hip fracture “Serum Metabolomic Profiles in association with chronic outcomes in older adults, two months and six months after hip fracture in men. University of Maryland Claude D. Pepper Older American Independence Center (UM-OAIC)