Family & Community Medicine
Elizabeth Parker, MD
520 W. Lombard Street, East Hall
Education and Training
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA, BS 2006
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA, PhD 2010
- Marywood University, Dietetic Internship, 2011
- Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, Postdoctoral Fellow 2011-2013
My personal and professional experiences have led to an increased interest in non-pharmacologic interventions to improve health and chronic disease related outcomes. My academic training, research experience and clinical practice have provided me with a strong background in nutrition and exercise science. I have experience managing large projects and clinical research trials using non-pharmacologic interventions. During graduate school I coordinated two clinical trials. The first was my main dissertation project which tested the efficacy of increased water consumption as a weight loss strategy among older overweight and obese adults consuming a hypocaloric diet for 12 weeks, as compared to a hypocaloric diet alone. Following completion of my dissertation project, I was a study coordinator for a pilot nutrition and exercise intervention in college freshmen. During my postdoctoral fellowship at Georgetown/Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center in the Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities, I was involved in numerous exercise interventions, such as an intervention to improve dietary intake and exercise habits of breast cancer survivors.My professional experiences have led to an increased interest in non-pharmacologic interventions as a means to improve health and overall wellbeing.
Community Health, Integrative Nutrition, Disease Prevention, Dietary Intake, Weight Management Strategies, Lifestyle Interventions
- Dennis EA, Flack KD, Davy BM. Beverage Consumption and Adult Weight Management: A Review. Eating Behaviors 2009; 10(4):237-246. PubMed PMID: 19778754; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2864136.
- Dennis EA, Dengo AL, Comber DL, Flack KD, Davy KP, Davy BM. Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older Adults. Obesity 2010 Feb;18(2):300-7. PubMed PMID: 19661958; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2859815.
- Dennis EA, Potter KL, Estabrooks PA, Davy BM. Weight Gain Prevention for College Freshmen: Comparing Two Social Cognitive Theory-based Interventions with and without Explicit Self-Regulation Training. Journal of Obesity 2012; 2012: 803769. PubMed PMID: 22778919; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3384957.
- Dennis Parker EA, Sheppard VB, Adams-Campbell LL. Compliance with National Nutrition Recommendations among Breast Cancer Survivors in Stepping Stone. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2014 Mar;13(2):114-20. doi: 10.1177/1534735413503550. Epub 2013 Oct 7. PMID: 24105362
- Davy BM, Potter KL, Dennis Parker EA, Harden S, Hill JL, Halliday TM, Estabrooks PA. Feasibility, Effectiveness, and Perceptions of an Internet- and Incentive-Based Behavioral Weight Loss Intervention for Overweight and Obese College Freshmen: A Mixed Methods Approach. Open Journal of Preventative Medicine 2013; Vol.3, No.7, 429-440.
- Bailey RL, Parker EA, Rhodes DG, Goldman JD, Clemens JC, Moshfegh AJ, Thuppal SV, Weaver CM. Estimating Sodium and Potassium Intakes and Their Ratio in the American Diet: Data from the 2011-2012 NHANES Journal of Nutrition 2016 Mar 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Research Dietetics Practice Group Published Paper Award for Junior Faculty, 2014
- American Society for Nutrition Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Poster Competition Award, Nutrition Translation Research Interest Section, 2015
- Maryland Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year, 2016
- Research DPG Member of the Year, 2016