Family & Community Medicine
520 W. Lombard Street, East Hall
Education and Training
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA, BS 2006
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA, PhD 2010
- Marywood University, Dietetic Internship, 2011
- Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, Postdoctoral Fellow 2011-2013
My personal and professional experiences have led to an increased interest in non-pharmacologic interventions to improve health and chronic disease related outcomes particularly in populations such as minority and underserved communities at high risk for obesity. I was recently awarded an AHA Career Development Award evaluating current teacher workplace health behaviors, such as diet, physical activity and work-related stress, and how changes to the school environment may positively impact these behaviors. I am also the Co-PI of the NIH SEPA funded CURE Connections program, a STEM enrichment program for 9th and 10th grade UMB CURE scholars.
Community Health, Integrative Nutrition, Disease Prevention, Dietary Intake, Weight Management Strategies, Lifestyle Interventions
- Dennis EA, Flack KD, Davy BM. Beverage Consumption and Adult Weight Management: A Review. Eating Behaviors 2009; 10(4):237-246. PubMed PMID: 19778754; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2864136.
- Dennis EA, Dengo AL, Comber DL, Flack KD, Davy KP, Davy BM. Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older Adults. Obesity 2010 Feb;18(2):300-7. PubMed PMID: 19661958; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2859815.
- Dennis EA, Potter KL, Estabrooks PA, Davy BM. Weight Gain Prevention for College Freshmen: Comparing Two Social Cognitive Theory-based Interventions with and without Explicit Self-Regulation Training. Journal of Obesity 2012; 2012: 803769. PubMed PMID: 22778919; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3384957.
- Dennis Parker EA, Sheppard VB, Adams-Campbell LL. Compliance with National Nutrition Recommendations among Breast Cancer Survivors in Stepping Stone. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2014 Mar;13(2):114-20. doi: 10.1177/1534735413503550. Epub 2013 Oct 7. PMID: 24105362
- Davy BM, Potter KL, Dennis Parker EA, Harden S, Hill JL, Halliday TM, Estabrooks PA. Feasibility, Effectiveness, and Perceptions of an Internet- and Incentive-Based Behavioral Weight Loss Intervention for Overweight and Obese College Freshmen: A Mixed Methods Approach. Open Journal of Preventative Medicine 2013; Vol.3, No.7, 429-440.
- Bailey RL, Parker EA, Rhodes DG, Goldman JD, Clemens JC, Moshfegh AJ, Thuppal SV, Weaver CM. Estimating Sodium and Potassium Intakes and Their Ratio in the American Diet: Data from the 2011-2012 NHANES Journal of Nutrition 2016 Mar 9. [Epub ahead of print]
My research interests include obesity, energy balance and lifestyle interventions to improve health and chronic disease related outcomes. My research projects at Virginia Tech focused on beverage intake and adult weight management, and at Georgetown I explored dietary intake habits of African American breast cancer survivors. I was recently awarded an AHA Career Development Award evaluating current teacher workplace health behaviors, such as diet, physical activity and work-related stress, and how changes to the school environment may positively impact these behaviors. I am also the Co-PI of the NIH SEPA funded CURE Connections program, a STEM enrichment program for 9th and 10th grade UMB CURE scholars.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Research Dietetics Practice Group Published Paper Award for Junior Faculty, 2014
- American Society for Nutrition Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Poster Competition Award, Nutrition Translation Research Interest Section, 2015
- Maryland Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year, 2016
- Research DPG Member of the Year, 2016