Education and Training
- D.Sc. – Biochemistry, Chosun University, Kwangju, South Korea
- M.Sc. – Microbiology, Trivuwan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Postdoctoral – University of Alberta, Edmonton Canada; University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
- 2013-2015: Research Associate, Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
- 2015-2016: Instructor, Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
- 2017-2018: Research Associate, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- 2018-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore MD
protein biochemistry, molecular biology, cellular biology. Currently, endothelial and epithelial cell injury, lung injury and inflammation, apoptosis biochemistry and signaling, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases
Pratap Karki, C Seong, Ja Eun Kim, K Hur, Song Yub Shin, Jung Sup Lee, Byungyun Cho, and Il Seon Park. Intracellular K+ inhibits apoptosis by suppressing the formation of Apaf-1 apoptosome and subsequent downstream pathways but not cytochrome c release. 2007, Cell Death Differ 14:2068-2075. PMID:17885667.
Pratap Karki, Xiuju Li, David Schrama, and Larry Fliegel. B-Raf associates with and activates NHE1 isoform of the Na+/H+ exchanger. J Biol Chem, 2011, 286:13096-13105. PMID: 19949839.
Pratap Karki et al. Transcriptional regulation of the astrocytic excitatotory amino acid transporter 1 (EAAT1) via NF-kB and Yin Yang 1 (YY1). J Biol Chem, 2015 August. PMID: 26269591.
Karki P and Birukova AA. Substrate stiffness-dependent exacerbation of endothelial permeability and inflammation:mechanisms and potential implications in ALI and PH. Pulm Circ. 2018;8(2).PMID:29714090.
Karki P and Birukov KG. Lipid mediators in the regulation of endothelial barriers. Tissue Barriers. 2018, 6(1).PMID:29083949.
Karki P, Ke Y, Tian Y, Ohmura T, Sitikov A, Sarich N, Montgomery CP, and Birukova AA. Staphylococcus aureus-inudced endothelial permeability and inflammation are mediated by microtubule destabilization. J Biol Chem, 2019; 294(10):3369-3384. PMID:30622143.
Additional Publication Citations
My expertise and area of research interests lie in the field of protein biochemistry as well as molecular and cellular biology. Currently, I am working in the laboratories of Drs. Konstantin Birukov and Anna Birukova in the research projects aimed to elucidate the mechanisms of endothelial and epithelial cell injury and recovery using the cellular and animal models of acute lung injury and inflammation. Prior to this, I have worked in the areas of apoptosis biochemistry and signaling, cardiovascular diseases, cancers and neurodegenerative diseases