Chief, Division of Rehabilitation Medicine
UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute, 2200 Kernan Drive, G 513, Baltimore, MD 21207-6697
Education and Training
1979 Sc.B. Biomedical Engineering
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
1982 M.S. Biomedical Engineering
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
1985 M.D. The Ohio State University
School of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION AND TRAINING
1985 - 1986 University of Maryland Hospital
1986 - 1989 University of Maryland Hospital
Fellowship (Rehabilitation and Electromyography)
1989 - 1991 MetroHealth Medical Center
Case Western Reserve University
Dr. Gorman is Professor of Neurology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He is the Chief of the Division of Rehabilitation Medicine within the Department of Neurology and at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute (UM Rehab).
Dr. Gorman's main research interests are in the field of spinal cord injury medicine. He has participated as co-PI in a multicenter study on the use of an exoskeleton for restoration of walking in persons with spinal cord injury. Previously, he was the principal investigator in a Department of Defense funded study comparing the use of robotic treadmill training to aquatic therapy in persons with motor incomplete spinal cord injury. He was also co-investigator in a trial of auricular acupuncture in spinal cord injury related pain. Early in his career he was a co-investigator in a pivotal study that led to the approval of a neuroprosthetic functional electrical stimulation device to restore hand function in persons with tetraplegia.
Clinically, Dr. Gorman specializes in taking care of persons with spinal cord injury and/or disease. His practice includes inpatient acute rehabilitation and outpatient longitudinal care, and management of spasticity with botulinum toxin injections and implanted baclofen pumps, He sees patients at UM Rehab (formerly Kernan Hospital).
Neurologic Rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injury, Exercise and Robotic Rehabilitation.
Peckham PH, Keith MW, Kilgore KL, Grill JH, Wuolle KS, Thrope JB, Gorman PH, Hobby J, Betz R, Carroll S, Hentz VR, Wiegner A, for the Implantable Neuroprosthesis Research Group. Efficacy of an Implanted Neuroprosthesis for Restoring Hand Grasp in Tetraplegia: A Multicenter Study. Arch PM&R 82:1380-1388 (2001). PMID: 11588741
Gorman PH, Qadri SFA, Rao-Patel, A. Prophylactic Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filter Placement May Increase the Relative Risk of Deep Venous Thrombosis after Acute Spinal Cord Injury. J Trauma 66(3): 707-712 (2009). PMID: 19276742
Gorman PH, Geigle PR, Chen K, York H, Scott W. Reliability and Relatedness of Peak VO2 Assessments during Body Weight Supported Treadmill Training and Arm Cycle Ergometry in Individuals with Chronic Motor Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Spinal Cord, 52: 287-291 (2014). PMID: 24534779
Gorman PH, Scott W, York H, Theyagaraj M, Price-Miller N, McQuaid J, Eyvazzadeh M, Ivey FM, Macko RF. Robotically Assisted Treadmill Exercise Training for Improving Peak Fitness in Chronic Motor Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Spinal Cord Medicine. 39(1):32-44 (2016). PMID: 25520035
Estores I, Chen K, Jackson B, Lao L, Gorman PH. Auricular Acupuncture for Spinal Cord Injury Related Neuropathic Pain: A Pilot Controlled Clinical Trial. J Spinal Cord Medicine. 40(4): 432-438 (2017). PMID: 26869339.
Gorman PH, Scott W, VanHiel L, Tansey K, Sweatman WM, Geigle P. Comparison of Peak Oxygen Consumption Response to Aquatic and Robotic Therapy in Individuals with Chronic Motor Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: A Randomized Trial. Spinal Cord. 2019 Jun;57(6):471-481. PMID: 30659286
Hong E, Gorman PH, Forrest GF, Asselin PK, Knezevic S, Scott W, Wojciehowski SB, Kornfeld S and Spungen AM. Mobility Skills with Exoskeletal-assisted Walking in Persons with SCI: Results from a Three Center Randomized Clinical Trial. Frontiers in Robotics and AI, Aug 20, 2020; 7(93). PMID: 33501260.
Gorman PH, Forrest GF, Asselin PK, Scott W, Kornfeld S, Hong EK, Spungen AM. Exoskeletal-Assisted Walking Effect on Spinal Cord Injury Bowel Function: Results from a Randomized Trial and Comparison to other Physical Interventions. J. Clinical Medicine, March 2, 2021, 10(5), 964. PMID33801165.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Gorman PH and Mortimer JT. The effect of stimulus parameters on the recruitment characteristics of direct nerve stimulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. BME-30: 407-414 (1983).
- Gorman PH, Rigamonti D, and Joslyn JR. Intramedullary and Extramedullary Schwannoma of the Cervical Spinal Cord: Case Report. Surgical Neurology 32:459-62 (1989).
- Carter RR, Crago PE, and Gorman PH. Nonlinear Stretch Reflex Interaction during Cocontraction. J. Neurophysiology, 69(3): 943-952 (1993).
- Macko RF, DeSouza CA, Tretter LD, Silver KH, Smith GV, Anderson PA, Tomoyasu N, Gorman P, Dengel DR. Treadmill Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces the Energy Expenditure and Cardiovascular Demands of Hemiparetic Gait in Chronic Stroke Patients: A Preliminary Report. Stroke 28:326-330 (1997).
- Gorman PH, Stroh-Woulle K, Peckham PH, Heydrick D. Patient Selection for an Upper Extremity Functional Electrical Stimulation Neuroprosthesis in Tetraplegia. Spinal Cord 35:569-573 (1997). PMID: 9300960
- Gorman PH, Kikta DG, Peckham PH. Neurophysiologic Evaluation of Lower Motor Neuron Damage in Tetraplegia. Muscle & Nerve 21: 1321-1323 (1998). PMID: 9736062
- Rodgers MM, Keyser RE, Gardner ER, Russell PR, Gorman PH: Influence of trunk flexion on biomechanics of wheelchair propulsion.J Rehabil Res Dev. 37:283-295 (2000).
- Rodgers MM, Keyser RE, Rasch EK, Gorman PH, Russell PJ. Influence of training on biomechanics of wheelchair propulsion. J Rehabil Res Dev 38:505-511 (2001).
- Peckham, PH and Gorman PH. Functional Electrical Stimulation in the 21st Century. Topics in Spinal Cord Rehabilitation 10(2): 126-150 (2004).
- Roghmann MC, Wallin MT, Gorman PH, Johnson JA. Prevalence and Natural History of Colonization with Fluoroquinolone Resistant Gram-negative Bacilli in Community-dwelling People with Spinal Cord Dysfunction. Arch PM&R 87(10): 1305-1309 (2006). PMID: 17023238
- Roghmann MC, Gorman PH, Wallin MT, Kreisel K, Shurland S. Johnson JA Staphylococcus aureus Colonization in Community-dwelling People with Spinal Cord Dysfunction.. Arch PM&R. 88(8):979-983 (2007). PMID: 17678658
- Kortee KB, Gilbert M, Gorman PH, Wegener ST. Positive Psychological Variables in the Prediction of Life Satisfaction Following Spinal Cord Injury. Rehabilitation Psychology 55(1): 40-47 (2010). PMID: 20175633
- Gorman PH. Unilateral Hyperhidrosis from a Contralateral Source in an Individual with C4 Complete Tetraplegia. J Spinal Cord Medicine 33(4): 428-430 (2010). PMID: 21061904
- Gorman PH. The Review of Systems in Spinal Cord Injury and Dysfunction. Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology, Volume 17(3) Neurorehabilitation; pp 630-634. June 2011. PMID: 22810872
- Geigle P, Frye S, Perreault J, Scott W, Gorman P. Atypical Autonomic Dysreflexia during Robotically Assisted Body Weight Supported Treadmill Training in an Individual with Motor Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. J Spinal Cord Medicine. 36(2): 153-156 (2013). PMID: 23809531
- Perreault J, Geigle PR, Gorman PH, Scott WH. Improvement in Weight Loss and Ambulation Outcomes after Gastric Sleeve Surgery for a Person with Chronic Motor Incomplete Tetraplegia: Clinical Case Report. Spinal Cord. 54:750-753 (2016).
- Estores I, Chen K, Jackson B, Lao L, Gorman PH. Auricular Acupuncture for Spinal Cord Injury Related Neuropathic Pain: A Pilot Controlled Clinical Trial. J Spinal Cord Medicine. 40(4): 432-438 (2017). PMID: 26869339.
- Ogonowska-Slodownik A, Geigle, P, Gorman PH, Slodownik R, Scott WH. Aquatic Deep Water Peak VO2 Testing for Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. J Spinal Cord Medicine, 42(5) September 2019, p 631-638. PMID: 3063294
- Geigle P, Ogonowska-Slodownik A, Slodownik R, Gorman PH, Scott WH. Measuring peak volume of oxygen (peak VO2) in deep water for individuals with spinal cord injury: protocol development. J Aquatic Phys Ther. 2018;26(1):30-35
- Gorman PH, Scott W, VanHiel L, Tansey K, Sweatman WM, Geigle P. Comparison of Peak Oxygen Consumption Response to Aquatic and Robotic Therapy in Individuals with Chronic Motor Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: A Randomized Trial. Spinal Cord. 2019 Jun;57(6):471-481. PMID: 30659286
- Goodrich C, York H, Shapiro A, Gorman PH. Focal Arm Weakness following Intradetrusor Botulinum Toxin Administration in Spinal Cord Injury: Report of Two Cases. J. Spinal Cord Medicine. 2020 November, 43(6): 904-907. PMID: 30702394
- Spungen AM, Bauman WA, Biswas K, Jones K, Snodgrass AJ, Goetz L, Gorman PH, Kirshblum K, Sabharwal S, White KT, Asselin PK, Morin K, Cirnigliaro CM, and Huang GD. The Design of a Randomized Control Trial of Exoskeletal-Assisted Walking in the Home and Community on Quality of Life in Persons with a Chronic Spinal Cord Injury. Contemporary Clinical Trials Volume 96, September 2020, 106102, PMID 32800962.
- Hong E, Gorman PH, Forrest GF, Asselin PK, Knezevic S, Scott W, Wojciehowski SB, Kornfeld S and Spungen AM. Mobility Skills with Exoskeletal-assisted Walking in Persons with SCI: Results from a Three Center Randomized Clinical Trial. Frontiers in Robotics and AI, Aug 20, 2020; 7(93). PMID: 33501260.
- Jahja E, Sansur C, Gorman PH. Spinal Arachnoiditis Leading to Recurrent Reversible Myelopathy: A Case Report. J Spinal Cord Medicine, 2020 Nov 09, pp. 1-4. Date of Electronic Publication: 2020 Nov 09. PMID: 33168210.
- Gatti MA, Sampayo MP, Rolandelli A, Yannone S, Argento FJ, Rivas ME, Broggi MS, Olmos LE, Gorman P. Demographic and clinical characteristics of individuals with traumatic spinal cord injury in Argentina from 2015 to 2019: a multicenter study. Spinal Cord Series and Cases6,109 (Dec 23, 2020)
- Gorman PH, Forrest GF, Asselin PK, Scott W, Kornfeld S, Hong EK, Spungen AM. Exoskeletal-Assisted Walking Effect on Spinal Cord Injury Bowel Function: Results from a Randomized Trial and Comparison to other Physical Interventions. J. Clinical Medicine, March 2, 2021, 10(5), 964. PMID33801165.
- Krassioukov A, Linsenmeyer T, Beck, L, Elliott S, Gorman P, Kirshblum S, .Vogel L, Wecht J, Clay S. Evaluation and Management of Autonomic Dysreflexia and Other Autonomic Dysfunctions: Preventing the Highs and Lows Management of Blood Pressure, Sweating, and Temperature Dysfunction. Top Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation (2021) 27 (2): 225–290. May 21, 2021.
Invited non-peer reviewed journal articles
- Gorman PH, and Peckham PH. Upper Extremity Functional Neuromuscular Stimulation. Journal of Neurologic Rehabilitation 5(1&2): 3-11 (1991).
- Billian C, and Gorman PH. Upper Extremity Applications of Functional Neuromuscular Stimulation. Assistive Technology, 4(1): 31-39 (1992).
- Gorman PH. An Update on Functional Electrical Stimulation after Spinal Cord Injury. J Neurorehabil Neural Repair 14(4):251-263 (2000).
- Gorman PH. Fever in Patients with Spinal Cord Injury. In: Mackowiak, P. (ed.): Fever: Basic Mechanisms and Management, 2nd edition. New York: Raven Press, 1997.
- Gorman PH. Functional Electrical Stimulation. In: O'Young, BJ and Young, MA (eds.): Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Secrets, Baltimore: Mosby, second edition 2001 and third edition 2007.
- Gorman PH. Functional Electrical Stimulation. In Lin, V. Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, New York: Demos Publications, 2002.
- Gorman PH, Alon G, Peckham PH. Functional Electrical Stimulation. In Seltzer M. et. al. Textbook of Neural Repair and Rehabilitation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Page 119-135, 2005.
- Gorman PH, Ho C. Functional Electrical Stimulation. In Lin, V. Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, Second Edition. New York: Demos Publications, 2010.
- Gorman PH, Peckham PH. Functional Electrical Stimulation in neurorehabilitation. In Seltzer M. et. al. Textbook of Neural Repair and Rehabilitation: Medical Neurorehabilitation, Volume 2. Second Edition, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pages 120-134, 2014.
- Gorman PH. Disorders of the Spinal Cord.. Chapter 147 in Baliga R. ABIM Internal Medicine Board Review, 2016, with 1480 Multiple Choice Questions. www.MasterMedFacts.com, Oct 2018..
- Gorman PH, York H, Thomas FP, Kamin SS. Nontraumatic Myelopathies, Chapter 35 in Kirshblum S and Lin V, eds. Spinal Cord Medicine, 3rd Edition, Springer Publishing Company, p 607-616 (2018).
Spinal cord injury
Management of spasticity with botuninum toxin and intrathecal baclofen
1996 Golden Goniometer Award for Excellence and Dedication to Academic
Instruction and Professional Mentorship, Sinai/Hopkins Residency
Training Program in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
1998, 2002 VA Gold Pin Award for excellence in clinical care.
2002 Sidney and Elizabeth Licht Award for Excellence in Scientific Writing,
American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
2004 Golden Goniometer Outstanding Teaching Award for Excellence and
Dedication to Academic Instruction and Professional Mentorship,
Sinai/University of Maryland Residency Training Program in Physical
Medicine and Rehabilitation
2005 Hero Award, University of Maryland Shock Trauma Gala
2007 Fellow, American Academy of Neurology
2009 Healthcare Hero Finalist, Advancements in Health Care Category,
The Daily Record, Baltimore, MD
2009 20 year Service Award, Department of Veterans Affairs
2010 Voted one of Baltimore Magazine’s 2010 “Top Docs”
2011, 2012 Voted Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia 'Super Doctor'
2012, 2013 Voted one of Baltimore Magazine’s 2012 and 2013 “Top Docs”
2014 25-year Service Award, Department of Veterans Affairs
2018 Delaware Maryland Chapter of the PVA, Clinician Service Award
2020 Fellow, American Spinal Injury Association
2023 Speedy Award, Paralyzed Veterans of America
2014 - Co-PI: 5% on Sub-Award; PI: Ann Spungen, Ph.D.
2019 “A Randomized, Crossover Clinical Trial of Exoskeletal-assisted
Walking to Improve Mobility, Bowel Function and Cardio-
Metabolic Profiles in Persons with SCI”
Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program
– Spinal Cord Injury Research Program – Clinical Trial Award
– Rehabilitation, Grant Number SC130234
Diving can be dangerous http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/health/Diving-Can-Be-Dangerous_Washington-DC-390016601.html
Here’s what nuclear war actually means. Letter to the Editor, The Baltimore Sun, December 28, 2016, p. 14. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bs-ed-nuclear-tweet-letter-20161227-story.html
Radio Health Journal, Exoskeletons: Enabling Paraplegics to Walk Again. 17-04 Segment 1, available on line January 22, 2017. Interviewed for this segment. https://radiohealthjournal.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/exoskeletons-enabling-paraplegics-to-walk-again/
Nuclear War is not Good for your Health. Op-Ed Contribution, Huffington Post, April 20, 2017. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nuclear-war-is-not-good-for-your-health_us_58f8f840e4b00fa7de1235a0
Sirius Radio interview. Bowel function in spinal cord injury. Sirius Health Radio channel 110. June 21, 2021.
Tactical Nuclear War should never be normalized. Baltimore, Sun Reader Commentatry, May 22, 2022. https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/readers-respond/bs-ed-rr-tactical-nuclear-war-should-never-be-normalized-20220522-6we7en5tzzemhnl6xd5ilqmquu-story.html
Board Member, Chesapeake Physicians for Social Responsibility