Epidemiology & Public Health
Education and Training
2018 PhD Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
Dissertation: Prediction Models for Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) and Other Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Negative (MDRGN) Bacteria in Healthcare Settings
2013 PGDiPH University of Auckland, New Zealand
2010 JD Columbia University School of Law, New York, NY
2006 BA Dartmouth College (Moral Philosophy), Hanover, NH
My research interests include Gram-negative antimicrobial resistance in inpatient settings, the development of evidence-based healthcare epidemiology and antimicrobial stewardship policies, and applying machine learning and other prediction model approaches to healthcare epidemiology questions using ‘Big Data.’ An increasing component of my work encompasses use of large claims databases. Prior to my doctoral studies, I practiced FDA law in Washington, D.C.
Antimicrobial resistance, Gram-negatives, machine learning, predictive analytics, claims data
- Goodman KE, Magder LS, Baghdadi JD, et al. Impact of Sex and Metabolic Comorbidities on COVID-19 Mortality Risk Across Age Groups: 66,646 Inpatients Across 613 U.S. Hospitals. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2020; Available at: https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1787.
- Goodman KE, Pineles L, Magder LS, et al. Electronically Available Patient Claims Data Improve Models for Comparing Antibiotic Use Across Hospitals: Results from 576 U.S. Facilities. Clin Infect Dis 2020 [Epub ahead of print].
- Goodman KE, Cosgrove SE, Pineles L, et al. Significant Regional Differences in Antibiotic Use Across 576 U.S. Hospitals and 11,701,326 Million Adult Admissions, 2016 - 2017 [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 18]. Clin Infect Dis. 2020; ciaa570. doi:10.1093/cid/ciaa570.
- Pineles BL, Goodman KE, Pineles L, O'Hara LM, Nadimpalli G, Magder LS, Baghdadi JD, Parchem JG, Harris AD. In-Hospital Mortality in a Cohort of Hospitalized Pregnant and Nonpregnant Patients With COVID-19. Ann Intern Med. 2021 May 11. doi: 10.7326/M21-0974. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33971101.
- Bi Q, Goodman KE, Kaminsky J, Lessler J. What Is Machine Learning: a Primer for the Epidemiologist. American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 188, Issue 12, December 2019, Pages 2222–2239, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwz189
- Goodman KE, Harris AD, Hoffmann DE. Legal Challenges To Allocating New COVID-19 Antibody Therapies To Those Who Need Them Most. Health Affairs Blog (Dec. 24, 2020).