Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
Radiology & Nuclear Medicine Department
(410) 328 5519
(667) 214 1576
Education and Training
Medical School: Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Surgical Residency: University Hospital of Wales
Radiology Residency and IR fellowship: Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
Board Certified in Interventional and Diagnostic Radiology
Vahid Etezadi MD; MRCS is an Assistant Professor of Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Etezadi is a board-certified interventional radiologist who specializes in interventional oncology, venous, lymphatic and peripheral arterial disease, women’s interventions, urological interventions and embolization. In interventional oncology he has a special interest in targeted tumor therapy using chemo/radioembolization and percutaneous tumor ablation. In peripheral vascular disease, he has special interest in peripheral arterial disease, percutaneous ablation of varicose veins and venous and lymphatic malformations. In women’s health, he is specialized in uterine fibroid embolization and chronic pelvic venous congestion. In addition Dr. Etezadi provides diagnostic and therapeutic image guided nerve blocks for chronic pain as well as kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty for debilitating spinal fractures.
Dr. Etezadi received his medical degree at the Tehran University of Medical sciences in Iran. He completed general surgical residency at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, UK and obtained membership of College of Surgeons of England and Scotland (MRCS) prior to completing his radiology residency and fellowship in interventional radiology at the University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) in Philadelphia.
Dr. Etezadi was a research scholar at Miami Vascular Institute in Florida prior to his radiology residency and has several publications in peer reviewed journals and presented in multiple national and international professional meetings. His main research interest is in interventional oncology and peripheral vascular disease.
English / Farsi
• Interventional Oncology • Peripheral Vascular Disease • Prostate Artery Embolization • Uterine Fibroids
- Etezadi V, Trerotola S. Comparison of inversion (“flipping”) rates among different port designs: a single center experience. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017 Apr;40(4):553-559.
- Etezadi V, Schiro B, Pena C, Kovacs M, Benenati J.F, Katzen B.T. Endovascular treatment of descending thoracic aortic disease: single Center, 15 years of experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2012 Apr; 23(4):468-75.
- Etezadi V, Benenati J.F, Gandhi R.T, Rochon P, Gordon M, Benenati M.J, Alehashemi S, Katzen B.T. Geisbüsch P. Endovascular Treatment of Visceral and Renal Artery Aneurysms. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2011 Sep; 22(9): 1246-53.
- Etezadi V, Katzen BT, Benenati JF, Alehashemi S, Tsoukas AI, Puente OA. Retroperitoneal Versus Direct Femoral Artery Approach for Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair Access: A Case-Control Study. Ann Vasc Surg, 2011 Apr; 25(3): 340-4.
- Etezadi V, Katzen BT, Naiem A, Johar A, Wong S, Fuller J, Benenati JF. J Vasc Interv Radiol. Percutaneous Suture-mediated Closure Versus Surgical Arteriotomy in Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair.2011 Feb; 22(2): 142-7.
- Etezadi V, Powell A. Widening the Aortic Bifurcation with Super Stiff Wire to Allow Placement of an Otherwise Impossible-to-advance Outback Catheter, Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg, 21 (1), p.e1, Jan 2011.
- Etezadi V, Katzen B.T, Pena C, Benenati J.F, Diehm N, Patel R.S. Endovascular Treatment of Popliteal Artery Aneurysms: A Single Center Experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010 Jun; 21(6): 817-23.
- Etezadi V, Katzen B.T. Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair in ‘Non-ideal’ Patients –Techniques and Outcomes. Interventional Cardiology, 2010; 5: 90 –2.
- Etezadi V, Benenati J.F, Patel P.J, Patel R.S, Powell A, Katzen B.T. The Re-Entry Catheter: A Second Chance for Luminal Re-Entry at Difficult Lower Extremity Subintimal Arterial Recanalizations". Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010 May; 21(5): 730-4.
- Edgell RC, Zaidat OO, Gupta R, Abou-Chebl A, Linfante I, Xavier A, Nogueira R, Alshekhlee A, Kalia J, Etezadi V, Aghaebrahim N, Jovin T. Multicenter Study of Safety in Stenting for Symptomatic Vertebral Artery Origin Stenosis: Results from the Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology Research Consortium. J Neuroimaging. 2013 Apr; 23(2):170-4.
- Etezadi V, Pena C, La-Pietra A, Ziffer JA, Katzen BT, Cury RC. "Cardiac CT in the Emergency Department: A Patient with Acute Epigastric Pain" J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2010 Mar- Apr; 4(2):142-3.
- Linfante I, Etezadi V, Andreone V, DeLeo M, Alehashemi S, Shaw K, Wakhloo A. Use of Intra-arterial Abciximab for the Treatment of Thrombus Formation During Coil Embolization of Intracranial Aneurysms. J NeuroIntervent Surg 2010; 2:135-138.
- Wakhloo AK, Linfante I, Silva CF, Samaniego EA, Dabus G, Etezadi V, Spilberg G, Gounis MJ. Closed-cell stent for coil embolization of intracranial aneurysms: clinical and angiographic results. Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Oct; 33(9):1651-6.
- Ahmad R, Shobaki S, Etezadi V, Raju S, Case R. Adequacy of consent in patients with distal radius fractures. International Orthopedics (SICOT) (2009) 33; 1311–1313.
Etezadi V, Barry T Katzen: "Considerations in evaluating results of endovascular treatments." "Handbook of Endovascular Interventions." Kenneth Ouriel, Amit Kumar. First Edition, 2013. Springer Press.
Peripheral vascular disease
Dr. Etezadi is a board-certified interventional radiologist who specializes in interventional oncology, venous, lymphatic and peripheral arterial disease, women’s interventions, urological interventions and embolization. In interventional oncology he has a special interest in targeted tumor therapy using chemo/radioembolization and percutaneous tumor ablation. In peripheral vascular disease, he has special interest in peripheral arterial disease, percutaneous ablation of varicose veins and venous and lymphatic malformations. In women’s health, he is specialized in uterine fibroid embolization and chronic pelvic venous congestion. In addition Dr. Etezadi provides diagnostic and therapeutic image guided nerve blocks for chronic pain as well as kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty for debilitating spinal fractures.
2004-present General Member, British General Medical Council
2007-present General Member, Royal College of Surgeons of England/Scotland (Edinburgh)
2010-present Society of Interventional Radiology
2011-present General Member, Radiological Society of North America
2011-present General Member, American College of Radiology