Vice Chair of the Cancer Center's Clinical Review Committee
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Master of Science, Clinical and Translational Research, University of South Florida
Post-Graduate Education and Training
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Fellowship, Hematology and Medical Oncology, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida
Dr. Duong joined the School of Medicine and Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center as an Assistant Professor in 2012. His clinical focus is in acute leukemias, myelodysplastic syndromes, myeloproliferative neoplasms, and bone marrow failure syndromes. His primary research interests are in developing and conducting clinical trials in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes and acute leukemias. He has been involved in several early-phase investigator-initiated clinical trials and has served as the local principal investigator for several industry-sponsored trials for patients with these diseases. In addition to clinical and research activities, he regularly serves as an attending physician on the inpatient leukemia service training fellows, internal medicine residents, and medical students.
- Lancet JE, Duong VH, Winton EF, Stuart RK, Burton MK, Zhang S, Cubitt DL, Blaskovish MA, Wright JJ, Sebti SM, Sullivan DM. A phase I clinical-pharmacodynamic study of the farnesyltransferase inhibitor tipifarnib in combination with the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in advanced acute leukemias. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011 March 1; 17(5):1140-6, PMID: 21233404.
- Duong VH, Komrokji RS, List AF. Efficacy and safety of lenalidomide in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome with chromosome 5q deletion. Therapeutic Advances in Hematology. 2012 April; 3(2): 105-16, PMID: 23556117.
- Duong VH, Jaglal MV, Zhang L, Kale V, Lancet JE, Komrokji RS, List AF. Phase II pilot study of oral dasatinib in patients with higher-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) who failed conventional therapy. Leukemia Research. 2013 March; 37(3):300-4, PMID: 23273539.
- Duong VH, Lancet JE, Alrawi E, Al-Ali NH, Perkins J, Field T, Epling-Burnette PK, Zhang L, List AF, Komrokji RS. Outcome of azacitidine treatment in patients with therapy-related myeloid neoplasms with assessment of prognostic risk stratification models. Leukemia Research. 2013 May; 37(5):510-5, PMID: 23332452.
- Duong VH, Padron E, List AF, Komrokji RS. Multikinase inhibitors for treating high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: can this be brought into clinical practice? Expert Review of Hematology. 2013 October; 6(5):485-7, PMID: 24083503.
- Duong VH, Lin K, Reljic T, Kumar A, Al Ali NH, Lancet JE, List AF, Komrokji RS. Poor outcome of patients with myelodysplastic syndrome after azacitidine treatment failure. Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma, & Leukemia. 2013 Dec;13(6):711-5, PMID: 24054159.
- Jaglal MV, Duong VH, Bello CM, Al Ali NH, Padron E, Fernandez HF, List AF, Lancet JE, Komrokji RS. Cladribine, cytarabine, filgrastim, and mitoxantrone (CLAG-M) compared to standard induction in acute myeloid leukemia from myelodysplastic syndrome after azanucleoside failure. Leukemia Research. 2014 Apr;38(4):443-6. PMID: 24439565.
- Duong VH, Komrokji RS. The role of pacritinib in the management of myelofibrosis. Expert Review of Hematology. 2014 Jun;7(3):325-32. PMID: 24746271.
- Bhatnagar B, Duong VH, Gourdin TS, Tidwell ML, Chen Q, Ning Y, Emadi A, Sausville EA, Baer MR. Ten-day decitabine as initial therapy for newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia patients unfit for intensive chemotherapy. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Jul;55(7):1533-7. PMID: 24144313.
- Duong VH, Komrokji RS, List AF. Update on the pharmacotherapy for myelodysplastic syndromes. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 2014 Sep;15(13):1811-25. PMID: 25080144.
- Duong VH, Bhatnagar B, Zandberg DP, Vannorsdall EJ, Tidwell ML, Chen Q, Baer MR. Lack of objective response of myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia to decitabine after failure of azacitidine. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015 Jun;56(6):1718-22. PMID: 25263320
- Duong VH, Baer MR, Hendrick F, Weiss SR, Sato M, Zeidan AM, Gore SD, Davidoff AJ. Variations in erythropoiesis-stimulating agent administration in transfusion-dependent myelodysplastic syndromes impact response. Leuk Res. 2015 Jun;39(6):586-91. PMID: 25869077.
- Ramadan H, Duong VH, Al Ali N, Padron E, Zhang L, Lancet JE, List AF, Komrokji RS. Eltrombopag Use in Patients With Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia (CMML): A Cautionary Tale. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016 Aug;16 Suppl:S64-6. PMID: 27521328.