Clinical Associate Professor
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Education and Training
- HSMPLSC, Hindu College, Machilipatnam, India - 1966
- MBBS, Guntur Medical College, Andhra University, India - 1974
Post Graduate Education and Training
- Rotating Internship, Government General Hospital, Guntur, India - 1973 to 1974
- PGY-I Psychiatry Residency, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY - 1977 to 1978
- PGY- II, III, IV Psychiatry Residency, Mt Sinai Services, City Hospital Center at Elmhurst, NY - 1978 to 1981
- Diplomat in specialty of General Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - 1983
- Diplomat in subspecialty of Geriatric Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - 1992
- Recertified in Geriatric Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - 2001
- Recertified in Geriatric Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - 2011
- State of Marylannd
Graduated from medical school in India. Immigrated to USA in 1976. Completed psychiatry residency training at Mount Sinai Services, New York in 1981. After residency training, joined faculty of Mount Sinai in 1982 and was involved in psychopharmacology research funded by NIMH. Worked as unit chief of Long Island Jewish/ Hillside Hospital psychiatry residency training unit from 1989 to 1990. Worked at Our Lady of Mercy Medical center, Bronx, NY as Chief of Inpatient Psychiatry unit from 1991 to 1994, Associate Director, Department of Psychiatry and Director of Education and Psychiatry Residency Training from 1995 to 1999 and as Director, Department of Psychiatry from 1999 to 2002. From 1992 to 2012 worked as Chief of Geriatric Psychiatry Service at St. Vincent's Hospital Westchester, Harrison, NY. Joined faculty of University of Maryland School of Medicine in 2012.
I provide psychiatry treatment to adults and older adults and perform electroconvulsive therapy.
My research interests include ECT treatment for Refractory Status Epilepticus, Psychopharmacology, Major Neurocognitive Disorders (Dementia) of Alzheimer's type
Psychopharmacology, Geriatric Psychiatry, Electroconvulsive Therapy
1. WT Regenold, L Adler, JB Blumenthal, SR Doddi, DJ Loreck, KL Mordecai. Aβ42 Plasma Levels are Increased in Cognitively Impaired Individuals Taking ACE Inhibitor and ARB Antihypertensives The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 24 (3), S141-S142
2. Seshagiri Doddi, Arthur Rifkin, Basawaraj Karajgi, Thomas Cooper and Michael Borenstein. Blood Level of Haloperidol and Clinical outcome in Schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1994; Vol.14: No.3, pp 187-195
3. Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Basawaraj Karajgi, Michael Borenstein, Morton Wachspress. Dosage of Haloperidol for Schizophrenia. Arch of Gen Psychiatry, 1991; Vol.48; No.2, pp 166-170.
4. Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Basawaraj Karajgi, Nusrath Hasan, Luz Alvarez. Benzodiazepine Use and Abuse by patients at Outpatient Clinics. Am J Psychiatry, 1989; Vol. 146: No.10, pp 1331-1332
5. Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Basawaraj Karajgi, Michael Borenstein, Ralph Munne. Dosage of Haloperidol for Mania. Br J Psychiatry, 1994; vol. 165; pp 113-116.
Additional Publication Citations
- Samuel G. Siris, Arthur Rifkin, Gerard T. Reardon, Seshagiri R. Doddi, Patricia Foster, Alene Strahan and Victoria Morgan. The Dexamethasone Suppression Test in Patients with Postpsychotic Depressions. Biol Psychiatry, 1984; Vol. 19: No.9, pp 1351-1356.
- Samuel G. Siris, Arthur Rifkin, Gerard T. Reardon, Seshagiri R. Doddi, Patricia Foster and Elaine Casey. A Trial of Adjunctive Imipramine in Postpsychotic Depression. Psychopharmacol Bull, 1985; Vol. 21: No.1, pp 114-116.
- Samuel G. Siris, Arthur Rifkin, Gerard T. Reardon, Seshagiri R. Doddi, Alene Strahan and Katherine S. Hall. Stability of Postpsychotic Depression Syndrome. J Clin Psychiatry, 1986; Vol. 47: pp 86-88.
- Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Basawaraj Karajgi, Morton Wachspress and Vijaya Boppana. Neuroleptic Treatment and Prediction of Response. Psychopharmacol Bull, 1988; Vol.24: No.1, pp 169-171.
- Arthur Rifkin, Basawaraj Karajgi, Seshagiri Doddi, Thomas Cooper. Dose and Blood Levels of Haloperidol in Treatment of Mania. Psychopharmacol Bull, 1990;Vol.26; No.1, pp 144-146
- Basawaraj Karajgi, Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Ravindra Kolli. The Prevalence of Anxiety Disorders In Patients with Chronic obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Psychiatry, 1990; Vol. 147; No.2, pp 200-201.
- H. George Nurenberg, Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi. A Systematic Assessment of the Comorbidity of DSM-III-R Personality Disorders in Alcoholic Outpatients. Compr Psychiatry, 1993; Vol.34: No.6 (November/December), pp 447-454.
- Arthur Rifkin, Seshagiri Doddi, Basawaraj Karagji and Simcha Pollack. Religious and Other Predictors of Psychosocial Adjustment in Cancer Patients. Psychosomatics May-June 1999, Vol. 40: No. 3, pp 251-256.
- B.M. Karajgi, A. Rifkin, S. Doddi, L. Alvarez, Z.M. Mateus and P. Polanco. Abstract: Religious Imagery and Psychosocial Adjustment in Cancer: Psycho-oncology Update IV, Published by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- Doddi SR. Depression in older adults. Clinical Geriatrics edited by Dharmarajan TS, Norman RA ed.. London, UK & New York, NY: The Parthenon Publishing Group, 2003.
Awards and Affiliations
1. Fellow, American Psychiatric Association - 1998
2. Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association - 2002
3. Distinguished Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association - 2014
- Psychiatry Consultant for a free clinic operated by Indo-American Psychiatric Services at Flushing Hospital Medical Center, Flushing, NY - 2000 to 2005
- Treasurer & Secretary, Bronx District Branch of American Psychiatry Association - 1996 to 2000
- President-Elect, Bronx District Branch of American Psychiatry Association - 2000 to 2002
- President, Bronx District Branch of American Psychiatric Association - 2002 to 2003