Education and Training
Dr. Valeriu Cebotaru received his medical degree from Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Carol Davila in Bucharest, Romania. Dr. Cebotaru completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University, clinical fellowship in nephrology at UT Southwestern and a research fellowship in nephrology at Johns Hopkins University. He joined the faculty at the University of Maryland in 2015.
Dr. Cebotaru is an assisstant professor in the department of medicine, division of nephrology. Dr. Cebotaru's research interest is in ADPKD.
Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is a hereditary disorder that affects 1:500 to 1:1000 people and is characterized by fluid-filled cysts that arise from renal tubules. ADPKD results from mutations in either the PKD1 or PKD2 gene, which encode the gene products polycystin 1 (PC1) and polycystin 2 (PC2), respectively. Histone deacetylase 6 (HDAC6) expression and activity are increased in Pkd1 mutant renal epithelial cells suggesting that it may play a role in cyst formation. We are studying role of PC1, PC2 and HDAC6 in cyst formation in ADPKD.
1. Cebotaru L, Liu Q, Yanda M, Boinot C, Outeda P, Huso D, Watnick T, Guggino WB and Cebotaru V. Inhibition of histone deacetylase 6 activity reduces cyst growth in polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2016 Jul;90(1):90-9.
2. Cebotaru L*, Cebotaru V*, Wang H, Aren LJ and Guggino WB. STIM1fl/fl Ksp-Cre mouse has impaired renal water balance. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016;39(1):172-82. (*Contributed equally)
3. Kim H, Xu H, Yao Q, Li W, Huang Q, Outeda P, Cebotaru V, Chiaravalli M, Boletta A, Piontek K, Germino GG, Weinman EJ, Watnick T, Qian F. Ciliary membrane proteins traffic through the Golgi via a Rabep1/GGA1/Arl3-dependent mechanism. Nat Commun. 2014 Nov 18(5):5482.
4. Cebotaru V, Cebotaru L, Kim H, Chiaravalli M, Boletta A, Qian F, Guggino WB. Polycystin-1 negatively regulates polycystin-2 expression via the aggresome/autophagosome pathway. J Biol Chem, 2014 Mar 7;289(10):6404-14.
5. Cebotaru L, Rapino D, Cebotaru V, Guggino WB. Correcting the Cystic Fibrosis Disease Mutant, A455E CFTR. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 8;9(1):e85183.
6. Cebotaru L, Woodward O, Cebotaru V, Guggino WB. Transcomplementation by a truncation mutant of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) enhances Î"F508 processing through a biomolecular interaction. J Biol Chem. 2013 Apr 12;288(15):10505-12.
7. Cheng J, Cebotaru V, Cebotaru L, Guggino WB: Syntaxin 6 and CAL mediate the degradation of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Apr;21(7):1178-87.
8. Wright J, Morales MM, Sousa-Menzes J, Ornellas D, Sipes J, Cui Y, Cui I, Hulamm P, Cebotaru V, Cebotaru L, Guggino WB, Guggino SE. Transcriptional adaptation to Clcn5 knockout in proximal tubules of mouse kidney. Physiol Genomics. 2008 May 13;33(3):341-54.
9. Cai H, Cebotaru V, Wang Y, Zhang X, Cebotaru L, Guggino SE, Guggino WB. WNK4 kinase regulates surface expression of the human sodium chloride cotransporter in mammalian cells. Kidney International 2006; 69(12):2162-70.
10. Cebotaru V, Kaul S, Devuyst O, Cai H, Racusen L, Guggino WB and Guggino SE. High citrate diet delays progression of renal insufficiency in the ClC-5 knockout mouse model of Dentâ?Ts disease. Kidney International, 2005 Aug;68(2):642-52.
11. Silva IV*, Cebotaru V*, Wang H, Guo G, Wang XT, Guggino WB and Guggino SE. The CLC-5 Knockout Mouse Model of Dentâ?Ts Disease has Renal Hypercalciuria and Increased Bone Turnover. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2003 Apr;18(4):615-623. (*Contributed equally)
12. Zhao P, Wang XT, Zhang XM, Cebotaru V, Cebotaru L, Guo G, Morales M, Guggino SE. Tubular and cellular localization of the cardiac L-type calcium channel in rat kidney. Kidney International, 2002 Apr;61(4):1393-1406.