Epidemiology & Public Health
Associate Hospital Epidemiologist
MSTF Suite 334
Education and Training
- UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, PhD, Health Policy and Management, 2019
- New York University School of Medicine, MD, 2010
- Columbia College, BA, Chemistry, 2006
Dr. Baghdadi is an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) and informatics hospital epidemiologist at the Baltimore VA. He chairs the Infection Prevention Committee and Sepsis Working Group at UMMC-Midtown Campus and serves on the UMMS Sepsis Steering Group. His research background is in health services. His research interests involve quality measurement in early sepsis care and appropriate use of advanced molecular diagnostics for infectious diseases.
diagnostic stewardship, sepsis and sepsis bundles, Clostridoides difficile infection, infection prevention, quality improvement
- Goodman KE, Magder LS, Baghdadi JD, Pineles L, Levine AR, Perencevich EN, Harris AD. Impact of Sex and Metabolic Comorbidities on COVID-19 Mortality Risk Across Age Groups: 66,646 Inpatients Across 613 US Hospitals. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020 Dec 18.
- Baghdadi JD, Brook RH, Uslan DZ, Needleman J, Bell DS, Cunningham WE, Wong MD. Association of a Care Bundle for Early Sepsis Management With Mortality Among Patients With Hospital-Onset or Community-Onset Sepsis. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2020 May 1;180(5):707-16.
- Baghdadi JD, Ganz DA, Chumpia M, Chang ET, de Peralta SS. Holding firm: Use of clinical correlation to improve Clostridioides difficile testing. American Journal of Infection Control. 2019 Dec 18.
- Baghdadi JD, Wong M, Comulada WS, Uslan DZ. Lack of insurance as a barrier to care in sepsis: A retrospective cohort study. Journal of Critical Care. 2018 Aug 1;46:134-8.
- Yang J, Babcock HM, Baghdadi JD. Healthcare Facilities Should Publicly Report the COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage of Healthcare Personnel. Infect. Control Hosp. Epidemiol. 13:1-6. 2021 Jul.
- Tran DH, Peng CC, Wolde-Rufael DA, Devkota H, Diaz-Abad M, Baghdadi JD, Chow RD, Verceles AC. A successful case of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for COVID-19: walking home without oxygen supplementation. Community Hosp. Intern. Med. Perspect. 11(4): 480-484. 2021 Jun.
- Pineles BL, Goodman KE, Pineles L, O’Hara LM, Nadimpalli G, Magder LS, Baghdadi JD, Parchem JG, Harris AD. In-Hospital Mortality in a Cohort of Hospitalized Pregnant and Nonpregnant Patients With COVID-19. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2021 May.
- Claeys KC, Zhan M, Pineles L, Lydecker A, Clore G, Goto M, Leekha S, Linkin D, Evans CT, Trautner BW, Goetz MB, Baghdadi JD, Perencevich EN, Morgan DJ. Conditional reflex to urine culture: Evaluation of a diagnostic stewardship intervention within the Veterans' Affairs and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Practice-Based Research Network. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021 Feb;42(2):176-181.
- Baghdadi JD, Coffey KC, Leekha S, Johnson JK, Diekema DJ, Morgan DJ. Diagnostic Stewardship for comprehensive gastrointestinal pathogen panel tests. Current Infectious Disease Reports. 2020 Jun;22:1-5.
- Baghdadi JD, Wong MD, Uslan DZ, Bell D, Cunningham WE, Needleman J, Kerbel R, Brook R. Adherence to the SEP-1 Sepsis Bundle in Hospital-Onset v. Community-Onset Sepsis: a Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2020 Feb 10:1-8.
- Baghdadi JD, Harris AD. Working Toward Better Metrics for Nonventilator Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia. JAMA Netw Open. 2(10):e1913662. 2019 Oct.
- Patel A, Silverman S, Baghdadi JD, Shah O, & Sundaram V. (2019). Osteoporotic Fracture Risk and Health Care Burden in Patients with Cirrhosis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 53(7): 543-548. 2019 Aug.
- Hemarajata P, Baghdadi JD, Hoffman R, Humphries RM. Burkholderia pseudomallei: Challenges for Clinical Microbiology Laboratory. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Sep.
- Baghdadi JD, Hemarajata P, Humphries R, Kelesidis T. First Report of Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt Infection due to Cyberlindnera fabianii. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2015.
- Baghdadi JD, Klausner JD. Special Feature: An update on diagnostics for hepatitis C. Review. MLO Med Lab Obs. 47(4): 34-36. 2015 Apr.
- Yang L, Chaudhary N, Baghdadi JD, Pei Z. Microbiome in Reflux Disorders and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. The Cancer Journal. 20(3): 207-10. 2014 May-Jun.
- Baghdadi JD, Chaudhary D, Pei Z, Yang L. Microbiome, Innate Immunity, and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Clin Lab Med. 34(4): 721-32. 2014 Dec.
- Eckhardt B, Holzman RS, Kwan CK, Baghdadi JD, Aberg JA. Glycated Hemoglobin A1C as Screening for Diabetes Mellitus in HIV Infected Individuals. AIDS Patient Care and STDS. 26(4): 197-201. 2012 Apr.
- Kwan, CK, Eckhardt B, Baghdadi JD, Aberg JA. Hyperparathyroidism and Complications Associated with Vitamin D Deficiency in HIV-Infected Adults in New York City, NY. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 28(00): 1025-32. 2012 Mar.
- Inpatient infectious diseases
- Hospital epidemiology / infection prevention
- National Academy of Medicine Scholar in Diagnostic Excellence, 2021
- SHEA Epi Project Competition Winner, 2021
- Vanessa Ajayi Annual Safety Award, UMMC Midtown Campus, 2021
- Baltimore Orioles Healthcare Heroes, 2020
- UCLA Department of Medicine Research Symposium Poster Competition, 4th place, 2018
- IDWeek Research Abstract Travel Award, 2016
- IDWeek Research Abstract Travel Award, 2015
- UCLA Resident Informaticist Program, 2014
- Clinical Scientist Training and Research Program, WUSTL School of Medicine, 2012
- Mentors in Medicine, WUSTL School of Medicine, 2011
UMB ICTR/CTSA KL2 Mentored Career Development Award, 2021-2023
- Lawrence L. (June 30, 2021). Better Surveillance For Serious HAIs. Retrieved from https://www.idse.net/Infection-Control/Article/06-21/Better-Surveillance-For-Serious-HAIs/63820.
- Lennon J, Shah R. (April 29, 2020). Sepsis bundles likely not associated with improved outcomes. 2 Minute Medicine. Retrieved from https://www.2minutemedicine.com/sepsis-bundles-likely-not-associated-with-improved-outcomes/
- Kritek P. (April 14, 2020). Patients Who Develop Sepsis as Inpatients Are Unlikely to Get Complete Sepsis-Bundle Care. NEJM Journal Watch. Retrieved from https://www.jwatch.org/na51307/2020/04/14/patients-who-develop-sepsis-inpatients-are-unlikely-get
- Physician’s Weekly. (April 09, 2020). SEP-1 Bundle Doesn’t Reduce Mortality in Treating Sepsis. [Blog Post]. Physician’s Weekly. Retrieved from https://www.physiciansweekly.com/sep-1-bundle-doesnt-reduce-mortality-in-treating-sepsis/
- American Pharmacist’s Association. (April 08, 2020). Association of a care bundle for early sepsis management with mortality among patients with hospital-onset or community-onset sepsis. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.pharmacist.com/article/association-care-bundle-early-sepsis-management-mortality-among-patients-hospital-onset-or
- Boggs W. (April 07, 2020). Early Sepsis Care Bundle Does Not Reduce Mortality. Reuters Health. Retrieved from https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928227