Scholars will participate in the full range of summer research training activities sponsored by the Office of Student Research (OSR) of UM School of Medicine, including research-related training, the three major events, the seminar series, and many other activities and events. Scholars will have many opportunities to interact with other undergraduate, medical, graduate, and other health professional students, and faculty in various summer research programs and settings. Students are also required to submit a final report on their research after the end of the program.
The OSR programming for UM SOM research programs for summer 2024 will begin on May 28 and end on July 26, 2024.
Mandatory Three Major Events
- Orientation (May 28 & May 29) - including Ethics Panel
- Mid-Summer Research Retreat (June 26)
- Student Research Forum (July 23 & 24) (Updated)
Summer Seminar Series on Biomedical Research
- Weekly 1-hour seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings
- Approximately 8-10 seminars will be scheduled
- Require attendance of at least 80% of the seminars in this series.
Research Education and Development Activities
Examples from prior years
- Data Analysis Workshops
- Writing Workshop
- Presentation Workshop
- Focus Groups
- Networking/group activities
- Interactions with students in other summer programs including medical students
Research Presentation Opportunities
Scholars will present their research at the UM SOM's Student Research Forum at the conclusion of the program, and may also present their work at research events at UMCP. Scholars may also be invited to present at additional UMB research events. High quality, UM Scholars student research have also been presented at national and international scientific meetings.
For questions regarding the program or the application process, please use the Ask UM Scholars form.