2023-2024 Application Season
|Interview Release Date
|October 6, 13, 20, 27
|Neurosurgery (Fridays in October after 4pm EST)
|Pediatrics suggested earliest date, then rolling
|Emergency medicine (6 pm EST) – participating programs
|Obstetrics and Gynecology
|October 26 - November 1
|General Surgery (suggested)
|November 6, 20, December 4
|Plastic Surgery (8 am – 12 pm PST)
|Otolaryngology (12-6 pm EST)
|Orthopaedic Surgery (12 pm EST)
- *Note - must log in through AAMC Careers in Medicine
Virtual Interview Prep
- Workshop hosted by the Maryland ACP
Should I accept all my offers?
- It is OK to accept offers and turn them down later as you review all options and decide how many interviews you actually care to attend. However, it is polite to give programs a week or two’s notice, if possible, so that they can fill your spot with someone else who is anxiously awaiting offers. It is never OK to not show up and not let anyone know in advance.
I was invited to the 'Informal Meeting with Residents' the night before the interview, should I go?
- It is nice if you can go to meet the residents in an informal situation. Speaking with residents is one of the most important parts of your interview day. Most programs will arrange for you to spend time with the residents, even if you cannot attend the pre-interview social event.
What is my target number of interviews to get?
- 12 – 14. Statistically, if you are able to rank about 11 programs a match is more likely
Should I send a thank you note to a program after I have interviewed with them?
- The most important thing to note is that if a program says they do not want any, believe them, and do not send one. Beyond that, whether or not you send one, and whether is it an electronic or hard copy, is really a personal decision. We do not know that sending either makes a difference in how programs will perceive/rank you.
What would an example email template for canceling interviews look like?
- These emails are generally addressed to the Program Coordinator. The student provides their name and AAMC ID, date scheduled to interview, indicates that they are cancelling the interview/unable to attend, expresses regret for any inconvenience, and can give regards to the Program Director.