Associate Dean For Student Affairs
685 W. Baltimore Street, Suite 150 Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
1982 - B.Sc. from McGill University, Montreal, Quebed, Canada
1986 - M.D. from University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
1986-1989 - Residency, Department of Medicine, Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Parker graduated from McGill University and received her medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. After a residency in internal medicine, she spent three years on the faculty at the University of North Carolina working at their Area Health Education Center at Wake Medical Center in Raleigh. She returned to Baltimore to join the faculty at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 1992. Since joining the faculty, she has served as the Medical Director of the Internal Medicine Clinic, Associate Program Director for Ambulatory Education in the department of Medicine, Assistant Dean for Admissions, Associate Dean for Student and Faculty Development and currently is Associate Dean for Student Affairs. She has taught and mentored medical students in all 4 years of the curriculum. The medical student class of 2004 selected her as Mace Bearer for their School of Medicine Convocation Ceremony, and she has since been asked many times to serve as a Platform Marshal at the ceremony. She was an alumna inductee into the Maryland Chapter of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society in 1998. In 2013, Dr. Parker was elected into the University of Maryland School of Medicine Carolyn J. Pass, MD ’66 and Richard J. Susel, MD ’66 Academy of Educational Excellence. In 2014, Dr. Parker received the Leonard Tow Humanism n Medicine Award presented by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation. Dr. Parker is a general internist and a Fellow in the American College of Physicians (FACP).
Medical Education, Primary Care, Women in Medicine
- Parker, DL. Balancing, Juggling and Other Feats. This Side of Doctoring: Reflections from Women in Medicine. Edited by Eliza Lo Chin. Sage Publications 2002.
- Parker DL. Lessons Learned: Stories from Women in Medical Management. Edited by Deborah Shlian, MD, MBA, ACPE publication, 2013
Journal Articles - Refereed
- Parker, DL. A Workshop on Mentoring Acrosss Gender and Cultural Lines, Academic Medicine
- Parker, DL. You Can't Judge a Book By its Cover, But We Do! The Pharos, Spring 2003, Page 13
- Parker, DL. Developing a Plan for Cultural Competence in Your Practice, The Maryland Family Doctor, Spring 2005
Women in Medicine
General Internal Medicine