July: Summer Mini Retreat
July 15, 2022
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Click here to download the flyer for this month's meeting. July 2022 all member
COVID-19 related disruptions in the diagnosis of new cancers: Disparities in care utilization and patient outcomes
Brian Englum, MD MHS
- Assistant Professor, Division of Pediatric Surgery
Brajesh Lal, MBBS
- Professor, Surgery
Dr. Lal and Dr. Englum provided a 6-month update on their project, which was awarded seed funding by the Program in Health Equity and Population Health in January 2022. Their data collection and analysis to date were presented and they highlighted their work with their community partner and advisor, who has been instrumental in helping to focus the research on potential disparities.
HEPH Program Updates
Laundette Jones, PhD, MPH
- Deputy Director, Program in Health Equity and Population Health
Dr. Jones provided some updates on the future plans of the Program in Health Equity and Population Health.
- The Program will begin using a Lightning Talk format to generate discussion around new ideas for research in Health Disparities, and facilitate growth in new and existing Think Tanks.
- Lightning talks will helo to form transdisciplinary research teams who pursue external funding opportunities to develop impactful research, health equity-focused education and training programs, and context-specific health interventions that have transformative potential for advancing health equity.
- Faculty who present lightning talks in the fall will be invited to submit proposals in the spring to receive seed funding for their research from the Program in HEPH.
- Think Tank Update
- Over the spring, we worked with the leaders of the Think Tanks to consolidate some of the members of those think tanks into an action-oriented research incubator.
- The goal of the incubator is to take an aggressive approach to secure funding for health equity research.
- The incubator will meet monthly with a research-opportunity agenda, and more often to facilitate work on action items as needed.
- We are currently pursuing an idea focused on cancer disparities and an opportunity in maternal child health outcomes. If you are interested in working on either of these projects, please let us know.
- The Mental Health and Addiction Think Tank will continue to hold its quarterly Ignite Talks.