Division of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, and Acute Care Surgery
Education and Training
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Fellowship in Surgical Critical Care, 2023
- Eller School of Business at the University of Arizona, Master of Business Administration, 2019
- Houston Methodist Hospital, General Surgery Residency, 2013
- Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California, Doctor of Medicine, 2006
- Azusa Pacific University, Bachelor of Science in Theology (Psychology minor), 1997
Dr. Wiseman is a faculty member in the division of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, and Acute Care Surgery, with particular clinical interests in complex abdominal wall reconstruction and robotic surgery. His research interests center primarily around reconstruction of complex abdominal wall disruptions, neurotrauma, and deep venous thrombosis prevention in pregnancy. He is also an active Air Force reservist where he currently serves as a Critical Care Air Transport (CCAT) physician, and is also a fully-qualified flight surgeon. Dr. Wiseman is a prolific writer and public speaker, most notably having given a TEDx talk in 2019.
Cerebral venous thrombosis, abdominal core health, deep venous thrombosis in pregnancy, bladder trauma, abdominal reconstruction, resident education, POCUS
- Strategic impact of a new academic endocrine surgery program. Wiseman JE, Ituarte PH, Hwang RS, Safir I, Pasternak JD, Van Nuys K, Yeh MW. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Aug;18(8):2260-4. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-1586-6. Epub 2011 Feb PMID: 21347789
- The effect of a dedicated endocrine surgery program on general surgery training: a single institutional experience. Wiseman JE, Ituarte PH, Ro K, Pasternak JD, Quach CA, Tillou AK, Hines OJ, Hiatt JR, Yeh MW.Am J Surg. 2012 Jun;203(6):782-4. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.05.009. Epub 2011 Oct 13. PMID: 22000115
- Population-level predictors of persistent hyperparathyroidism. Yeh MW, Wiseman JE, Chu SD, Ituarte PH, Liu IL, Young KL, Kang SJ, Harari A, Haigh PI. Surgery. 2011 Dec;150(6):1113-9. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2011.09.025. PMID: 22136829
- Attending Surgeon Influences Operative Time More than Resident level in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (featured article, cover art). Wiseman JE, Morris-Wiseman LF, Hsu CH, Riall TS, J Surg Res. Epub 2021 Nov 26.
- Three-port laparoscopic cholecystectomy is safe and efficient in the treatment of surgical biliary disease: a retrospective cohort study. Wiseman JE, Hsu CH, Oviedo RJ. J Robot Surg. 2022 Apr 11.