Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
Director, Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
University of Maryland School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine 22 South Greene St., Suite P6H305
Academic Office: 410-328-3965 Outpatient Clinic: 667-214-1300
Education and Training
American University of Beirut, BS, Biology, 2011; High Distinction
American University of Beirut, Medical Degree, 2015; Penrose Award Winner
Inova Fairfax Medical Campus, Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2020
University of Maryland Medical Center, Fellowship, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2023
Board Certification: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) - Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2022
Dr. Seif is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences. In addition to his clinical expertise, Dr. Seif has an unwavering commitment to advancing the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology through research, dissemination of knowledge, and multi-disciplinary collaboration. His research and clinical interests include diabetes in pregnancy, obesity in pregnancy, infectious diseases in pregnancy, as well as preterm labor.
He currently serves as the director of the Diabetes in Pregnancy program at the University of Maryland Medical Center, leading a team that specializes in the antenatal and postpartum care of pregnant patients with gestational diabetes, as well as those with pre-existing type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
In recognition of his achievements both in the clinical and scholar realms, Dr. Seif has received several honors and awards in his career, including “Fellow of the Year” (University of Maryland, 2023), "Physician Colleague of the Year" (University of Maryland, 2023), first prize at the Inova Fairfax Resident Research Day in 2019, “Top Resident Teacher Award” (Inova Fairfax, 2017-2018-2019), as well as the Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine Residency Program Award for Excellence in Obstetrics (Inova Fairfax, 2018). Dr. Seif is also a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society, and upon graduating medical school, he received the prestigious "Penrose Award", an award given to only one graduating medical student per class based on academic achievement, leadership, character, and contribution to the university as a whole.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Seif enjoys playing the piano, singing in choirs, traveling, and enjoying his time with his wife and two daughters. He is fluent in English, French, and Arabic, and he is proficient in medical Spanish.
Diabetes in pregnancy, obesity in pregnancy, preterm labor, cervical insufficiency, infectious diseases in pregnancy
- Seif KE, Tadbiri H, Mangione M, Wolfe A, Whitaker K, Desai A, Turan S. The impact of trimester of COVID-19 infection on pregnancy outcomes after recovery. J Perinat Med. 2023 May 4. doi: 10.1515/jpm-2022-0568. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37134272.
- Mustafa HJ, Javinani A, Seif K, Aghajani F, Makar EJ, Selhorst S, Crimmins S. Prepregnancy Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Systematic Review, Pairwise, and Network Meta-Analysis of Obstetrical and Neonatal Outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2023 Mar 6:100914. doi: 10.1016/j.ajogmf.2023.100914. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36889438.
- Seif KE, Goetzinger KR, Turan O. The Optimal Cesarean Skin Incision in Patients with Super Obesity. Am J Perinatol. 2022 Jun 25. doi: 10.1055/a-1885-1799. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35752170
- Mustafa HJ, Seif K, Javinani A, Aghajani F, Orlinsky R, Alvarez MV, Ryan A, Crimmins S. Gestational weight gain below instead of within the guidelines per class of maternal obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of obstetrical and neonatal outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2022 Jun 18;4(5):100682. doi: 10.1016/j.ajogmf.2022.100682. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35728780.
- Tate DL, Sublette NK, Christiansen ME, Samson FD, Wang JQ, Rodriguez M, Seif K, Salama R, Gomez LM. Comparison of two combined antiretroviral treatment regimens in the management of HIV in pregnancy: an observational study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021 Nov;34(22):3723-3729. doi: 10.1080/14767058.2019.1691987. Epub 2019 Nov 24. PMID: 31709863.
- Nakhoul MR, Seif KE, Haddad N, Haddad GE. Fetal Alcohol Exposure: The Common Toll. J Alcohol Drug Depend. 2017 Feb;5(1):257. doi: 10.4172/2329-6488.1000257. Epub 2017 Feb 28. PMID: 28868323; PMCID: PMC5575798.
- 2023: University of Maryland Medical Center: Fellow of the Year
- 2023: University of Maryland Medical Center: Physician Colleague of the Year – Nursing award
- 2020: Inova Fairfax Research Day – 3rd prize: “Identification of Proteomic Changes Associated with Placenta Accreta Spectrum.”
- 2019: Inova Fairfax Research Day – 1st prize: “Transvaginal ultrasound evaluation of the cervical stroma and length at the time of the fetal anatomy survey in women undergoing history-indicated cerclage: does it matter?”
- 2019: Top Resident Teacher Award – Inova Fairfax Hospital: Elected by third year medical students at Virginia Commonwealth University for outstanding teaching skills
- 2018: Top Resident Teacher Award – Inova Fairfax Hospital: Elected by third year medical students at Virginia Commonwealth University for outstanding teaching skills
- 2018: Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine Residency Program Award for Excellence in Obstetrics
- 2017: Top Resident Teacher Award – Inova Fairfax Hospital: Elected by third year medical students at Virginia Commonwealth University for outstanding teaching skills
- 2015: Alpha Omega Alpha: Elected as a new member based on excellent academic and professional performance and on potential for a distinguished career in the medical profession
- 2015: Penrose Award in the Faculty of Medicine- American University of Beirut: Award given to only one graduating student per class, based on academic achievement, leadership, character, and contribution to the university as a whole