Education and Training
2011 B.S. Health Administration, Capital Medical University, Beijing, P.R. China
2016 Ph.D. Neurobiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, P.R. China
2021 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Anesthesiology & Center for Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research (STAR), University of Maryland School of Medicine
1. Li Y, Ritzel RM, He J, Cao T, Sabirzhanov B, Li H, Liu S, Wu L-J, Wu J. The voltage-gated proton channel Hv1 plays a detrimental role in contusion spinal cord injury via extracellular acidosis-mediated neuroinflammation. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2021 Jan; 91: 267-283. PMID: 33039662.
2. Ritzel RM*, He J*, Li Y*, Cao T, Khan N, Shim B, Sabirzhanov B, Aubrecht T, Stoica BA, Faden AI, Wu L-J, Wu J. Proton extrusion during oxidative burst in microglia exacerbates pathological acidosis following traumatic brain injury. Glia, 2021 Mar;69(3):746-764. PMID:33090575. (*co-first author)
3. Khan N, Cao T, He J, Ritzel RM, Li Y, Henry RJ, Colson C, Stoica1 BA, Faden AI, Wu J. Spinal cord injury alters microRNA and CD81+ exosome levels in plasma extracellular
nanoparticles with neuroinflammatory potential. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2021;92:165-183. PMID: 33307173
**Commentary in Brain, Behavior, and Immunity by a Preview Article: “Extracellular vesicles go the extra mile after spinal cord injury?” 2021 Feb 17; S0889-1591(21)00050-7. PMID: 33607236.
4. Li Y, Ritzel RM, Khan N, Cao T, He J, Matyas JJ, Sabirzhanov B, Liu S, Li H, Stoica BA, Loane DJ, Faden AI, Wu J. Delayed microglial depletion after spinal cord injury reduces chronic inflammation and neurodegeneration in the brain and improves neurological recovery in male mice. Theranostics, 2020; 10(25): 11376-11403. PMID: 33052221.
5. Li Y, Cao T, Ritzel RM, He J, Faden AI, Wu J. Dementia, depression, and associated brain inflammatory mechanisms after spinal cord injury. Cells, 2020 Jun 8; 9(6): 1420. PMID: 32521597. Review.
6. Ritzel RM*, Li Y*, He J, Khan N, Doran S, Faden AI, and Wu J. Sustained neuronal and microglial alterations are associated with diverse neurobehavioral dysfunction long after experimental brain injury. Neurobiology of Disease, 2020; 136:104713. PMID: 31843705. (*co-first author)
7. Li Y, Jones JW, M C Choi H, Sarkar C, Kane MA, Koh EY, Lipinski MM, Wu J. cPLA2 activation contributes to lysosomal defects leading to impairment of autophagy after spinal
cord injury. Cell Death & Disease, 2019, 10(7):531. PMID: 31296844.
8. Sabirzhanov B*, Li Y*, Coll-Miro M, Matyas JJ, He J, Kumar A, Ward N, Yu J, Faden AI, Wu J. Inhibition of NOX2 signaling limits pain-related behavior and improves motor
function in male mice after spinal cord injury: participation of IL-10/miR-155 pathways. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2019, 80, 73-80. PMID: 30807841.
9. Liu S, Li Y, Choi H, Sarkar C, Koh EY, Wu J, Lipinski MM. Lysosomal damage after spinal cord injury causes accumulation of RIPK1 and RIPK3 proteins and potentiation of
necroptosis. Cell Death & Disease, 2018, 9(5):476. PMID: 29686269.
10. Li Y, Mei Z, Liu S, Wang T, Li H, Li X, Han S, Zhang L, Yang Y, Li J, Xu Z-Q D. Galanin Protects from Caspase-8/12-initiated Neuronal Apoptosis in the Ischemic Mouse Brain via GalR1. Aging and Disease, 2016, 8(1): 85-100. PMID: 28203483.
11. Li Y, Sun W, Han S, Li J, Ding S, Wang W, Yin Y. IGF-1-involved negative feedback of NR2B NMDA subunits protects cultured hippocampal neurons against NMDA-induced
excitotoxicity. Molecular Neurobiology, 2016, 54(1): 684-696. PMID: 26758454.
12. Yang X, Zhang X, Li Y, Han S, Howells DW, Li S, Li J. cPKCβ-mediated phosphorylation inhibits CRMP2 proteolysis and alleviates ischemic injury in cultured cortical neurons and ischemic stroke-induced mice. Journal of Neurochemistry, 2016 May; 137(3):446-59. PMID: 26788931.
13. Wang P, Liang J, Li Y, Li J, Yang X, Zhang X, Han S, Li S, Li J. Down-Regulation of miRNA-30a Alleviates Cerebral Ischemic Injury Through Enhancing Beclin 1-Mediated
Autophagy. Neurochemical Research. 2014, 39:1279–1291. PMID: 24771295.
14. Han S, Li Y, Li J. Studies on the pathogenesis of glaucoma provides a holistic view on diagnosis and treatment in diseases of the nervous system. Basic & Clinical Medicine, 2014, 34 (8): 1113-1116.
15. Peng Z, Li J, Li Y, Yang X, Feng S, Han S, Li J. Down-regulation of miR-181b in mice brain following ischemic stroke induces neuroprotection against ischemic injury through targeting SPA5 and UCHL1. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 2013, 91: 1349-1362. PMID:23900885
16. Feng S, Li D, Li Y, Yang X, Han S, Li J. Insight into hypoxic preconditioning and ischemic injury through determination of nPKC-interacting proteins in mouse brain. Neurochemistry International. 2013, 63(2): 69-79. PMID: 23665338
17. Zhang N, Li Y, Li J. Molecular path finding: insight into cerebral ischemic/hypoxic injury and preconditioning by studying PKC-isoform specific signaling pathways. Advances in High-Altitude Medicine and Hypoxic Physiology in China, Science Supplemental, 2012, 57- 58.
18. Li Y, Cao T, He J, Faden AI, Wu J. Sex dimorphism on neurological function after SCI is associated with disrupted neuroinflammation in both injured spinal cord and brain. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2021, In preparation.
19. Zou L*, He J*, Shahror RA, Gu L, Li Y, Cao T, Zhu J, Wang S, Fan X, Wu J#, Chao W. Brain Innate Immune Response via Extracellular miRNA-TLR7 Sensing during Polymicrobial Sepsis. Journal of Neuroscience, 2021, will submit soon.
20. Li Y, Zhao Z, Zhu X, Ward N, Faden AI, Wu J. Traumatic brain injury-induced chronic hyperesthesia is reversed by voluntary exercise through reduction of inflammation in pain regulatory pathways. Molecular Pain, 2021, In preparation.