Epidemiology & Public Health
Division Head, Health Care Outcomes Research
10 South Pine St., MSTF 330
Education and Training
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, BS, 1989
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, MD, 1993
Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, MPH, 1999
Dr. Harris is an infectious disease physician and epidemiologist whose research interests include emerging pathogens, antimicrobial-resistant bacteria, hospital epidemiology/infection control, epidemiologic methods in infectious diseases and medical informatics. He has published over 280 papers. He has current or has had funding from the NIH, CDC and AHRQ to study antibiotic resistance and hospital epidemiology. He is extremely proud of his mentoring track-record.
antibiotic resistance, hospital epidemiology, risk adjustment.
- Harris AD, Pineles L, Johnson JK, et al. Prevalence of Acinetobacter baumannii and Candida auris in Patients Receiving Mechanical Ventilation. JAMA. Published online October 12, 2023. doi:10.1001/jama.2023.21083
- Harris AD, Pineles L, Belton B, Johnson JK, Shardell M, Loeb M, Newhouse R, Dembry L, Braun B, Perencevich EN, Hall KK, Morgan DJ and the Benefits of Universal Glove and Gown (BUGG) Investigators. Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: A randomized trial. JAMA. 2013 Oct 16;310(15):1571-80. [PMCID:PMC4026208]
- Masnick M, Morgan DJ, Sorkin JD, Kim E, Brown JP, Rheingans P, Harris AD. Lack of Patient Understanding of Hospital-Acquired Infection Data Published on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Hospital Compare Website. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016 Feb;37(2):182-7. doi: 10.1017/ice.2015.260. Epub 2015 Nov 23. [PMCID:PMC4731310]
- Harris AD, Fleming B, Bromberg JS, Rock P, Nkonge G, Emerick M, Harris-Williams M and Thom KA. Surgical Site Infection after Renal Transplantation. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015 Apr;36(4):417-23. doi: 10.1017/ice.2014.77. [PMCID:PMC4367121]
- Johnson JK, Wilson LE, Zhao L, Richars K, Thom KA, Harris AD. Point Prevalence of Klebsiella pneumoniae Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae (KPCS) in Maryland. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014 Apr;35(4):443-5.
- McGregor JC, Kim PW, Perencevich EN, Bradham DD, Furuno JP, Kaye KS, Fink JC, Langenberg P, Roghmann MC, Harris AD. Utility of the chronic disease score and Charlson comorbidity index as comorbidity measures for use in epidemiologic studies of antibiotic-resistant organisms. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Mar;161(5):483.
- Rubin MA, Samore MH, Harris AD. The Importance of Contact Precautions for Endemic Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci. JAMA. 2018 Mar 6;319(9):863-864. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.21122 PMID: 29435582
- Jackson SS, Thom KA, Magder LS, Stafford KA, Johnson JK, Miller LG, Calfee DP, Harris AD; CDC Prevention Epicenters Program. Patient contact is the main risk factor for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus contamination of healthcare workers' gloves and gowns in the intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018 Jul 27:1-5