Microbiology and Immunology
Professor, Institute for Genome Sciences
Health Sciences Facility III, 670 West Baltimore St, Baltimore 21201
Education and Training
1997-2000: Engineering degree in Chemistry, Ecole Nationale Sup. de Chimie, Montpellier, France
2000-2004: PhD in Biology, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
2004-2007: Postdoctoral fellowship, McGill and Genome Quebec Inn. Centre, Montreal, Canada
I am interested in developing genomic approaches to better understand the biology of eukaryotic pathogens and their interactions with their host(s).
My laboratory primarily focuses on Plasmodium vivax, an important human parasite responsible for most malaria cases outside Africa. Since this parasite cannot be continuously propagated in cultures and studied in vitro, we are using a variety of genomic assays to characterize its response to antimalarial drugs and other environmental stresses using patient samples and animal models. Our studies also include genomic analyses of the host response to infection and of the Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit the parasites.
Genomics, Plasmodium vivax, malaria, Anopheles
- Chan ER, Menard D, David PH, Ratsimbasoa A, Kim S, Chim P, Do C, Witkowski B, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Zimmerman PA and Serre D (2012) Whole genome sequencing of field isolates provides robust characterization of genetic diversity in Plasmodium vivax. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 6(9): e1811. PMC3435244.
- Hester J, Chan R, Menard D, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Barnwell J, Zimmerman PA and Serre D (2013) De Novo Assembly of a field isolate Genome Reveals Novel Plasmodium vivax Erythrocyte Invasion Genes. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 7:e2569. PMC3854868.
- Friedrich LR, Popovici J, Kim S, Dysoley L, Zimmerman PA, Menard D and Serre D (2016) Complexity of infection and genetic diversity in Cambodian Plasmodium vivax. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 10(3):e0004526. PMC4809505.
- Logue K, Keven JB, Cannon MV, Reimer L, Siba P, Walker ED, Zimmerman PA and Serre D (2016) Unbiased Characterization of Anopheles Mosquito Blood Meals by Targeted High-Throughput Sequencing. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 10(3):e0004512. PMC4786206.
- Kim A, Popovici J, Vantaux A, Samreth R, Bin S, Kim S, Roesch C, Liang L, Davies H, Felgner P, Herrera S, Arévalo-Herrera M, Ménard D, Serre D (2017)Characterization of P. vivax blood stage transcriptomes from field isolates reveals similarities among infections and complex gene isoforms. Sci Rep. 7(1):7761. PMC5552866
- Popovici J, Friedrich LR, Kim S, Bin S, Run V, Lek D, Cannon MV, Menard D*, Serre D (2018) Genomic Analyses Reveal the Common Occurrence and Complexity of Plasmodium vivax Relapses in Cambodia. MBio. 9(1). pii: e01888-17. PMC5784252.