Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
F.A.C.O.G., Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center
Education and Training
- Yale University, Gynecologic Oncology (2011-2014)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-Magee Womens Hospital, OB/GYN (2007-2011)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine (2002-2007)
- Duke University, Chemistry, Cum Laude with Distinction (1998-2002)
- Gynecologic Oncology (2017)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (2016)
- Centers for Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (2016)
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (2010)
Dr. Dana Marie Roque joined the faculty at University of Maryland in August 2014. She specializes in the chemotherapeutic and surgical treatment of gynecologic malignancies including cervical, uterine, ovarian, vulvar, and vaginal cancers, as well as gestational trophoblastic neoplasia. Her practice also includes management of benign conditions requiring complex surgery. She offers open, traditional laparoscopic, and robotic surgical approaches. She currently serves on the Rare Tumor Sub-Committee of NRG and the Clinical Practice Committee of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
Appointments are available in two locations:
- 22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201 (Thursday)
- 5900 Waterloo Rd, Columbia, MD 21045 (Monday)
She is also active in clinical / translational trials and teaching with the School of Medicine.
Ongoing clinical research studies include
- HP-00074863. Randomized Phase II Evaluation of Weekly Ixabepilone with or without Biweekly Bevacizumab [not yet recruiting]
- HP-00061901. Randomized Phase II Evaluation of Carboplatin / Paclitaxel +/- Trastuzumab in HER2/Neu+ Advanced or Recurrent Uterine Papillary Serous Carcinoma, Site Principal Investigator [closed 01/2017]
- HP-00066154. TERPS (Training, Education, and Robotic Performance with Simulation) at University of Maryland Medical Center, Co-Investigator.
Ongoing translational research studies include
- HP-00061641. Collection of Tissue Samples from Women with Gynecologic Malignancies and Healthy Controls for Laboratory Research, Principal Investigator.
- HP-00061673. Treatment and Survival Outcomes for Patients with Gynecologic Malignancies, Principal Investigator.
- HP-00063498. Molecular Profiling of Gynecologic Cancers, Principal Investigator.
class III beta tubulin, clear cell carcinoma, paclitaxel resistance, novel therapeutic targets, microtubule-stabilizing agents
- Roque DM, Ratner E, Silasi DA, Azodi M, Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Nelson W, Santin AD. Weekly ixabepilone with or without biweekly bevacizumab in the treatment of recurrent or persistent uterine and ovarian/primary peritoneal/fallopian tube cancers: A retrospective review. Gynecologic Oncology 2015; 137(3):392-400.
- Roque DM, Buza N, Glasgow M, Bellone S, Bortolomai I, Gasparrini S, Cocco E, Ratner E, Silasi D, Azodi M, Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Santin AD. Class III β-tubulin overexpression within the tumor microenvironment is a prognostic biomarker for poor overall survival in ovarian cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant carboplatin/paclitaxel. Clinical & Experimental Metastases 2014; 31(1): 101-10.
- Roque DM, Bellone S, Buza N, Romani C, Cocco E, Bignotti E, Ravaggi A, Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Pecorelli S, Santin AD. Tubulin-β-III overexpression in ovarian clear cell and serous carcinoma as a marker for poor overall survival after platinum/taxane chemotherapy and sensitivity to patupilone. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 209(1): 62.e1-9.
- Roque DM, Bellone S, English DP, Buza N, Cocco E, Gasparrini S, Bortolomai I, Ratner E, Silasi D, Azodi M, Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Santin AD. Tubulin-β-III overexpression by uterine serous carcinomas is a marker for poor overall survival after platinum/taxane chemotherapy and sensitivity to epothilones. Cancer 2013; 119(14): 2582-92.
- Zhao S, Choi M, Overton JD, Bellone S, Roque DM, Cocco E, Guzzo F, English DP, Varughese J, Gasparrini S, Bortolomai I, Buza N, Hui P, Abu-Khalaf M, Ravaggi A, Bignotti E, Bandiera E, Romani C, Todeschini P, Tassi R, Zanotti L, Carrara L, Pecorelli S, Silasi DA, Ratner E, Azodi M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Stiegler AL, Mane S, Boggon TJ, Schlessinger J, Lifton RP, Santin AD. Landscape of somatic single-nucleotide and copy-number mutations in uterine serous carcinoma. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 2013; 110(8): 2916-21.
- English DP, Bellone S, Schwab CL, Roque DM, Lopez S, Bortolomai I, Cocco E, Bonazzoli E, Chatterjee S, Ratner E, Silasi DA, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Santin AD. Solitomab, an EpCAM/CD3 bispecific antibody (BiTE), is highly active against primary chemotherapy resistant ovarian cancer cell lines in vitro and fresh tumor cells ex vivo. Cancer 2014; doi: 10.1002/cncr.29062.
- Schwab CL, Bellone S, English DP, Roque DM, Lopez S, Cocco E, Nicoletti R, Bortolomai I, Bonazzoli, Ratner E, Silasi DA, Azodi M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Santin AD. Afatinib demonstrates remarkable activity against HER2 amplified uterine serous endometrial cancer in vitro and in vivo. British Journal of Cancer 2014; 111(9):1750-6.
- Schwab CL, M.D, English DP, Roque DM, Bellone S, Lopez S, Cocco E, Nicoletti R; Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Santin AD. Neratinib shows efficacy in the treatment of HER2/neu amplified uterine serous carcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Gynecologic Oncology 2014 doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2014.08.006.
- English DP, Roque DM, Carrara L, Lopez S, Bellone S, Cocco E, Bortolomai I, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Santin AD. HER2/neu gene amplification determines the sensitivity of uterine serous carcinoma cell lines to AZD8055, a novel dual mTORC1/2 inhibitor. Gynecologic Oncology 2013; 131(3):753-8.
- Bignotti E, Tassi RA, Calza S, Ravaggi A, Rossi E, Donzelli C, Todeschini P, Romani C, Bandiera E, Zanotti L, Carnazza M, Quadraro F, Tognon G, Sartori E, Pecorelli S, Roque DM, Santin AD. Secretoglobin expression analysis in epithelial ovarian carcinoma: lipophilin B gene upregulation as an independent marker of better prognosis. Journal of Translational Medicine 2013; 11(1): 162.
- Roque DM, Wang SA, Wasley A, Jacques-Carroll L, Roush S, Weinbaum CM on behalf of the CDC. Assessing completeness of perinatal hepatitis B virus infection reporting through comparison of immunization program and surveillance data ― United States. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2011; 60(3): 410-3.
- Roque DM. Perinatal ethics. Virtual Mentor: American Medical Association Journal of Ethics 2007; 9: 597-659. Available at http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2007/09/toc-0709.html.
- Bignotti E, Zanotti L, Calza S, Falchetti M, Lonardi S, Ravaggi A, RomaniC, Bandiera E, Tassi RA, Facchetti F, Sartori E, Pecorelli S, Roque DM, Santin AD. Trop-2 protein overexpression is an independent prognostic marker for disease recurrence in endometrioid endometrial carcinoma. BMC Clinical Pathology 2012 12(1): 22-30.
- Bellone S, Roque DM, Cocco E, Gasparrini S, Bortolomai I, Buza N, Abu-Kalaf M, Silasi D, Ratner E, Azodi M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Pecorelli S, Santin AD. Down-regulation of membrane complement inhibitors CD55 and CD59 by siRNA sensitizes uterine serous carcinoma overexpressing Her2/Neu to complement and antibody-dependent cell cytotoxicity in vitro: implications for trastuzumab-based immunotherapy. British Journal of Cancer 2011; 106(9): 1543-50.
- Carrara L, Guzzo F, Roque DM, Bellone S, Cocco E, Sartori E, Pecorelli S, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Santin AD. Differential in vitro sensitivity to patupilone versus paclitaxel in uterine and ovarian carcinosarcoma cell lines is linked to tubulin-beta-III expression. Gynecologic Oncology 2011; 125(1): 231-6.
Case Reports, Technical Notes, Letters
- Roque DM, Santin AD. Uterine cancer, mutational phenotype, and the era of immune checkpoint blockade. Expert Review Clinical Immunology 2016 [editorial]. PMID: 27905822. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1744666X.2017.1266938.
- Roque DM, Santin AD. Oncofertility in gynecologic oncology: an oxymoron? Future Oncology 2016; 12(14):1683-6.
- Kapoor K, Evans MC, Shkullaku M, Schillinger R, White CR, Roque DM. Biventricular metastatic invasion from cervical squamous cell carcinoma. BMJ Case Reports 2016; doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-214931.
- Black J, Roque DM, Pasternac MC, Buza N, Rutherford TJ, McCarthy S, Ratner E. A series of malignant ovarian cancers arising from within a mature cystic teratoma: a single institution experience. International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer2015 25(5):792-7.
- Roque DM, Azodi M. Editorial forward. Robotic Surgery: Research and Reviews 2014; 1: 11-12.
- Roque DM, Jones D, Carter G, Kelley JL. Primary giant cell malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the ovary: case report and review of the literature. Gynecologic Oncology 2010; 119(2): 397-8.
- Dick-Biascoechea M, Roque DM, Schwartz PE. Appearances can be deceiving: ovarian mass presents as vaginal prolapse. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2014; 211(3):310.e1-2.
Reviews, Chapters, Books
- Lynam S, Young L, Morozov V, Rao G, Roque DM. Risk, risk reduction, and management of occult malignancy diagnosed after uterine morcellation: a commentary. Womens’ Health (Lond Engl) 2015; 11(6): doi 10.2217/WHE.15.63.
- Black J, Roque DM, Gold L, Santin AD. Future directions and new targets in endometrial cancer. In Current Clinical Oncology, Springer International Publishing, c.2015.
- Miller D, Roque DM, Santin AD. The use of Monsels’ solution to treat obstetrical haemorrhage: a review and comparison to other topical hemostatic agents. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2015; 212(6):725-35.
- English DP, Roque DM, Buza N, Santin AD. HER2 as a biomarker for endometrial cancer. In Biomarkers in Disease: Methods, Discoveries and Applications, Victor R. Preedy & Vinood B. Patel, eds., c.2015.
- Schwab CL, English DP, Roque DM, Pasternak M, Santin AD. The past, present, and future role of immunotherapy in ovarian cancer. Immunotherapy 2014;6(12):1279-93.
- Roque DM, Santin AD, Schwartz PE. Multidisciplinary management of serous carcinoma of the endometrium. In Current Multidisciplinary Oncology: Gynecologic Cancers, Kunle Odunsi and Tanja Pejovic, eds, 1st edition. NY: Demos Medical, © 2013, ISBN: 978-1936287895.
- Black J, English DP, Roque DM, Santin AD. Targeted therapy in uterine serous carcinoma, an aggressive variant of endometrial cancer. Women’s Health 2014; 10(1):45-57.
- Buza N, Roque DM, Hui P, Santin AD. Her2/Neu in endometrial cancer: a promising therapeutic target and diagnostic challenge. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2014; 138(3):343-50.doi: 10.5858/arpa.2012-0416-RA.
- Schwab CL, English DP, Roque DM, Santin AD. Taxanes: impact on gynecologic malignancies. Anti-Cancer Drugs 2014; 25(5):522-35.
- English DP, Roque DM, Santin AD. HER2 expression beyond breast cancer: therapeutic implications for gynecologic malignancies. Molecular Diagnosis and Therapy 2013; 17(2): 85-99.
- English DP, Roque DM, Santin AD. Class III β-tubulin overexpression in gynecologic tumors: implications for the choice of microtubule targeted agents? Expert Reviews of Anticancer Therapy 2013; 13(1): 63-74.
- Roque DM, Santin AD. Updates in therapy for uterine serous carcinoma. Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 25(1): 29-37.
- Roque DM, Schwartz PE,Santin AD.Targeted therapy for high-risk endometrial cancer. Clinical Practice 2012; 9(5): 539-54.
- Roque DM, Santin AD. Antigen-specific immunotherapy for ovarian cancer. In Advances in Ovarian Cancer Management, Peter Schwartz, ed. ISBN (epub) 978-1-78084-081-9, © 2012.
- Roque DM, Sherman F. Review: ‘Heart Disease in Pregnancy.’ Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 2008; 21(5): 301-2. doi:10.1016/j.jpag.2007.12.006.
- Annunziata C, Roque DM, Azad N, Kohn EC. Chapter 5: Application of serum and tissue proteomics to understand and detect solid tumors. In Cancer Proteomics: From Bench to Bedside, Sayed S. Daoud, ed. Totowa, NJ:Humana Press, ©2008, pp 101-120.
- Reader J, Lynam S, Harper A, Rao GG, Matheny M, Roque DM. Ovarian tumor microenvironment and innate immune system. In Ovarian Cancer Immunotherapy, Samir Farghaly, ed. (accepted 12/2016).
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP
- International Gynecologic Cancer Society
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Association for Cancer Research
2016-7 Tubulin Isotype and Microtentacle Composition in Progression of Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma, D01 Award, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- Awardees: Dana M. Roque, MD, Division of Gynecologic Oncology; Jocelyn Reader, PhD, Division of Gynecologic Oncology
- Collaborator: Stuart Martin, PhD, Department of Physiology
- Description: $50,000 over one year
2015-6 Intuitive Surgical Research Simulator Loan Program: Multi-Specialty Robotic Simulator Research Program at University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Awardees: Tatiana Sanses, MD, Division of Urogynecology; Dana M. Roque, MD, Division of Gynecologic Oncology; Vadim Morozov, Program Director Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Surgery; Patricia Seal, MD, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology; Minhaj Siddiqui, MD, Department of Urology; Shamus Carr, MD, Division of Thoracic Surgery; Jeff McDaniels, CRNFA, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Description: Support for original research using virtual reality simulation in training and development of da Vinci technical skills, with provision of a da Vinci® Si Surgeon Console and da Vinci Si Skills Simulator.
2005-6 Cancer Research Training Award, National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Pathology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
Oncofertility in gynecologic oncology:
- Preserving fertility can be expensive for cancer patients (Baltimore Sun, 04/10/17)
3/2017: Testimony for Maryland Senate Committee re: SB 918 "Health Insurance Coverage of Fertility Preservation Procedures for Iatrogenic Infertility"
- 2017 Reviewer for British Journal of Cancer (ISSN 0007-0920)
- 2016 Reviewer for Scientific Reports (ISSN 2045-2322)
- 2016 Reviewer for Cancer Letters (ISSN: 1872-7980)
- 2016 Reviewer for Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology (ISSN: 0344-5704)
- 2016 Reviewer for BMC Cancer (ISSN 1471-2407)
- 2015 Reviewer for Pharmaceuticals (ISSN 1424-8247)
- 2015 Reviewer for Immunotherapy (ISSN 1750-743X; 1750-7448)
- 2015 Reviewer for BMC Womens Health (ISSN 1472-6874)
- 2015 Reviewer for BMC Cancer (ISSN 1471-2407)
- 2014 Reviewer for BMC Cancer (ISSN 1471-2407)
- 2014 Reviewer for Cancer (ISSN 1097-0142)
- 2010 Reviewer for Women’s Health (ISSN 1745-5057)
- 2007 Editor, American Medical Association Journal of Ethics, September volume