Epidemiology & Public Health
685 W. Baltimore St., MSTF 334
Education and Training
BS Psychology, Reed College, Portland, Oregon
MD with Distinction in Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
MS Clinical Research, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Daniel Morgan MD, MS is a physician and epidemiologist in Baltimore, Maryland. He is a tenured Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine where the directs the Center for Innovation in Diagnosis and is Chief of Epidemiology at the VA Maryland Healthcare System.
He was a founding member and past Director of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) Research Network and was on the Board of Directors of SHEA. He is incoming SHEA Chair for IDWeek 2022. At the VA Maryland Healthcare System he directs Epidemiology with a team of 5 physicians and 6 nurses.
His research explores probability in medicine, medical overuse, diagnostic stewardship and infection prevention. On a NIH New Innovator award for "exceptional scientists pursing highly innovative approaches to major challenges" he is exploring clinician risk understanding. This has led to creation of testingwisely.com site.
He has continuous federal funding, over 170 publications and his work often appears in the media including New York Times, Washington Post and the Economist.
- Harris AD, Pineles L, Belton B, Johnson JK, Shardell M, Loeb M, Newhouse R, Dembry L, Braun B, Perencevich EN, Hall KK, Morgan DJ and the Benefits of Universal Glove and Gown (BUGG) Investigators. Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial. JAMA 2013;310(15):1571-80.
- Morgan DJ, Kaye KS, Diekema DJ. Reconsidering isolation precautions for endemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus. JAMA 2014;312(14):1395-6.
- Morgan DJ, Brownlee S, Leppin AL, Kressin N, Dhruva SS, Levin L, Landon BE, Zezza MA, Schmidt H, Saini V, Elshaug AG. Setting a research agenda for medical overuse. BMJ. 2015;351:h4534.
- Morgan DJ, Malani P, Diekema DJ. Diagnostic Stewardship-Leveraging the Laboratory to Improve Antimicrobial Use. JAMA. 2017 Jul 31.
- Morgan DJ, Pineles L, Owczarzak J, Magder L, Scherer L, Brown JP, Pfeiffer C, Terndrup C, Leykum L, Feldstein D, Foy A, Stevens D, Koch C, Masnick M, Weisenberg S, Korenstein D. Accuracy of clinician estimates of probability of diagnosis before and after testing. JAMA Intern Med. 2021
NIH Director's New Innovator Award from the Common Fund's High-Risk, High-Reward Research Program 2017
Councilor, Board of Directors, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) 2017-2018
NIH NLM DP2LM012890 (New Innovator Award)Incorporating Bayesian reasoning into physician testing and treatment decisions
AHRQ R01 HS025456-01 Understanding and preventing Clostridium difficile transmission from asymptomatically colonized patient
CDC 1U54CK000-450 (Harris PI) Epicenters for the Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Infections.