Assistant Dean of Student Affairs
Clinical: 827 Linden Ave, 2nd Floor, University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology; Office of Student Affairs: 655 W. Baltimore St, Suite 150
Education and Training
- 2003-2007: M.D.; University of Maryland School of Medicine
- 2007-2010: Residency; Department of Internal Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center
- 2010-2011: Chief Resident; Department of Internal Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center
- 2011-2013: Fellowship; Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, University of Maryland Medical Center
Dr. Elizabeth Lamos is a board-certified physician, Associate Professor of Medicine and is part of the education leadership at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Her expertise lies in providing up-to-date and individualized mentoring and advising to medical students at any stage of their medical school training in order to build the next generation of high-quality physicians.
Since 2013, Elizabeth has held positions of education leadership within the Endocrinology Fellowship, creating curriculum and advancing continuous education opportunities for the fellows and faculty. In 2018, she became an Assistant Dean in the Office of Student Affairs. In this position, she is directly responsible for supporting the dual-degree students within the medical school.
Dr. Lamos earned a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Maryland Medical School. She completed her Internal Medicine residency, chief residency and fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at the University of Maryland Medical Center. She has a clinical practice where she provides exceptional care to adults at the University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology.
- Lamos EM, Munir KM. Cushing’s disease: highlighting the importance of early diagnosis for both de novo and recurrent disease in light of evolving treatment patterns. Endo Prac 2014, Sep;20(9):945-55.
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Insulin Glargine-Insulin Glulisine Basal-Bolus and Twice-Daily Premixed Analog Insulin in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Patients during Three Standardized Meals. Journal of Clinical and Translational Endocrinology 2016, Mar;3:14–20.
- Lamos EM. Younk LM, Davis SN. Concentrated insulins: the new basal insulins. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016, Mar 9;12:389-400.
- Lamos EM, Malek R, Davis SN. GLP-1 receptor agonists in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Apr;10(4):401-408.
- Lamos E, Hedrington M, Davis SN. An update on the safety and efficacy of oral antidiabetic drugs: DPP-4 inhibitors and SGLT-2 inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2019 Aug;18(8):691-701.
Peer Reviewed journal articles
- Intrusta PM, Lamos E, Galonek HL, Vander Maten, et al. Regulation of apoptosis by viruses that infect insects. Arch Virol Suppl. 2004;(18):171-8. PubMed PMID: 15119772.
- Lamos EM, Stein SA, Davis SN. Combination glibenclamide-metformin HCl for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012 Dec;13(17):2545-54. PubMed PMID: 23116560.
- Stein SA, Lamos EM, Davis SN. A review of the efficacy and safety of oral antidiabetic agents. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2013 Mar;12(2):153-75. PubMed PMID: 23241069.
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Canagliflozin, an inhibitor of sodium glucose co-transporter 2, for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013 Jun;9(6):763-75. PubMed PMID: 2359041
- Lamos EM, Stein SA, Davis SN. Sulfonylureas and meglitinides: historical and contemporary issues. Panminerva Medica. 2013; 55(3): 239-251. PMID: 24088798
- Konig M, Lamos EM, Stein SA, Davis, SN. An Insight into the Recent Diabetes Trials: What is the Best Approach to Prevent Macrovascular and Microvascular Complications? Curr Diabetes Rev. 2013 Sep;9(5):371-81.PubMed PMID: 23865412.
- Stein SA, Lamos EM, Davis SN. Vildagliptin, a Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitor for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2014 Apr;10(4):599-608. PubMed PMID: 24547938
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis, SN. Empagliflozin, a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor, in the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2014 Jun;23(6):875-82. PubMed PMID: 24746173
- Younk LM, Lamos EM, Davis, SN. Cardiovascular Effects of Insulin. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014 Jul;13(7):955-66. PubMed PMID: 24899093
- Lamos EM, Munir KM. Cushing’s disease: highlighting the importance of early diagnosis for both de novo and recurrent disease in light of evolving treatment patterns. Endocr Pract. 2014 Sep;20(9):945-55. PubMed PMID: 25100372
- Lamos EM, Woodworth GF, Munir KM. Carotid artery aneurysm resulting in myxedema coma. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery: Advanced Techniques and Case Management. 2015; 2 (2):120–122.
- Croft LD, Liquori M, Ladd J, Day H, Pineles L, Lamos E, Arnold R, Mehrotra P, Fink JC, Langenberg P, Simoni-Wastila L, Perencevich E, Harris AD, Morgan DJ. The effect of contact precautions on frequency of hospital adverse events. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015 Nov;36(11):1268-74. PubMed PMID: 26278419
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Concentrated insulins: the new basal insulins. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2016 Mar 9;12:389-400. PubMed PMID: 27022271
- Lamos EM, Munir KM. Thyroid Swelling and Thyroiditis in the Setting of Recent hCG Injections and Fine Needle Aspiration. Case Rep Endocrinol. 2016;2016:2915816. PubMed PMID: 26942022
- Subang ML, Konig M, Staats P, Lamos EM, Munir KM, Malek R. Third trimester intraplacental choriocarcinoma presenting with respiratory failure and hyperthyroidism. AACE Clinical Case Reports: Summer 2016, 2 (3):e233-e236.
- Lamos, EM, Levitt D, Munir, KM. A review of dopamine agonist therapy in type 2 diabetes and effects on cardio-metabolic parameters. Prim Care Diabetes. 2016 Feb;10(1):60-5. PubMed PMID: 2667092
- Younk LM, Lamos EM, Davis SN. Cardiovascular effects of anti-diabetes drugs. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2016 Sep;15(9):1239-57. PubMed PMID: 27268470
- Croft LD, Liquori ME, Ladd J, Day HR, Pineles L, Lamos EM, Mehrotra P, Perencevich EN, Harris AD, Morgan DJ. Frequency of Adverse Events Before, During, and After Hospital Admission. South Med J. 2016 Oct;109(10):631-635. PubMed PMID: 27706501
- Lamos EM, Davis SN. Pharmacokinetic evaluation of fixed-ratio combination of insulin degludec and liraglutide in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2016 Oct;12(10):1225-32. PubMed PMID: 27467569
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of insulin glargine-insulin glulisine basal-bolus and twice-daily premixed analog insulin in type 1 diabetes mellitus patients during three standardized meals. J Clin Trans Endocrinol. 2015 Dec; 3:14-20. PMID: 29159123
- Karara, MW, Otieno CF, Okalebo FA, Lamos EM, Kibwage IO. Determinants of insulin-related knowledge among healthcare providers at a county referral hospital in Kenya. Afr. J. Pharmacol. Ther, 2016; 5 (2): 74-80.
- Lamos EM, Wijesinha MA, Ramhmdani S, Magder LS, Silver KD. Role of glycemic control on hospital-related outcomes in patients with diabetes mellitus undergoing renal transplantation. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2017 Jan 5;10:13-17. PubMed PMID: 28115861
- Lamos EM, Malek R, Davis SN. GLP-1 receptor agonists in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Apr;10(4):401-408. PubMed PMID: 28276778
- Nunez Del Prado SR, Steinman RA, Munir KM, Lamos EM. Supraglottic myxedema:two cases and a review of the literature. AACE Clinical Case Reports. Spring 2017; 3 (2):e101-e105.
- Munir KM, Lamos EM. Diabetes type 2 management: what are the differences between DPP-4 inhibitors and how do you choose? Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017 Jun;18(9):839-841. PubMed PMID: 28449622
- Levitt D, Munir KM, Lamos EM. Dopamine agonist effects on hyperglycemia and the cardiometabolic profile. Internal Medicine Review, 2016 Aug; 4(4):1-16.
- Salgado SR, Lamos EM, Munir KM. Bone-Specific Alkaline Phosphatase Flare in a Patient with Hepatitis C: Case Report and Review of Literature. Endocrinol Metab Int J, 2017 Jan; 4(1):00073.
- Millstein L, Wolfsthal S, Frayha N, Southall N, Lamos E, Habicht R. Empowering Patients to optimize their medication regimens: an interdisciplinary approach. J Med Educ Train 2017; 1:013.
- Scalea JR, Sultan S, Lamos EM, Bartlett ST, Barth RN. Improvement in pancreas transplant evaluation and surgical volume using a multidisciplinary approach. Am J Tansplant 2018; 18(5): 1295-1296. PMID: 29166550
- Guo H, Levitt D, Munir KM, Drachenberg C, Malek R, Lamos EM. Non-ANCA Associated Methimazole Induced Nephritis: Case and review of literature. J Endocrinol Metab. 2018;8(2-3):47-51.
- Wedad R, Solinsky J, Munir, KM, Lamos EM. Pharmacoeconomic evaluation of SGLT2 inhibitors for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2019 Feb;20(2):151-161. PMID: 30412008
- Lamos E, Hedrington M, Davis SN. An update on the safety and efficacy of oral antidiabetic drugs: DPP-4 inhibitors and SGLT-2 inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2019 Aug;18(8):691-701. PMID: 3115030
- Lamos E, Fairchild E. Endocrinology. In: Wolfsthal SD (ed.) National Medical Series Medicine. 7th Edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, Baltimore, 2011.
- Stein S, Lamos E, Quartuccio M, Chandraskaran S, Ionica N, Steinle N. Food Intake and Preference. In: Diet Quality: An Evidence Based Approach, Volume 1. Humana Press, New York, NY, 2013.
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Hypoglycemia. In Endocrine and Metabolic Medical Emergencies. Matfin G (Ed). Endocrine Press, Chevy Chase, MD, 2014.
- Davis SN, Lamos EM, Younk LM. Hypoglycemia and Hypoglycemic Syndromes. In Endocrinology: Adult & Pediatric, 7th edition. Degroot LJ and Jameson JL (Eds). Saunders, Philadelphia, PA., 2014.
- Sandoval DA, Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. In Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences. Caplan M and Martini L (Eds). Elsevier, Oxford UK. 2014.
- Davis SN, Lamos EM, Loper H, Younk LM. Leptin in Acute Stress. In Leptin - Regulation and Clinical Applications. Dagogo-Jack S (Ed). Springer, New York, NY, 2015.
- Lamos EM, Younk LM, Davis SN. Hypoglycemia. In Endocrine and Metabolic Medical Emergencies. Matfin G (Ed). Endocrine Press, Chevy Chase, MD, 2017.
- Lamos E, Frayha N. Thyroid Nodules and Cancer. Primary Care Reviews and Perspectives. Hippo Education: Volume 46, May 2018.
2012 Fellows Teaching Award, University of Maryland Medical Center
2017 Faculty Teaching Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine
2018 Mentor Appreciation Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine