Associate Member Greenbaum Cancer Center
Education and Training
University of Maryland, Baltimore County, BS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2007
University of Virginia, School of Medicine, MD, 2012
United States FDA, Dept of Epidemiology ORISE Fellow, 2013
East Carolina University, Internal Medicine Internship, 2014
Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson, Neurology Residency, 2017
University of Virginia, Neuro-Oncology Fellowship, 2019
Dr. Ahmad is an Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and a specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system tumors. His work and research are focused on cancer of the brain, spinal cord, and other cancers which have spread to the brain. He is also a board certified neurologist and is trained in the treatment of neurologic conditions such as stroke, epilepsy, headache, etc.
At UMMC he plays an integral part in the multi-disciplinary team treating brain tumors. Along with neurosurgery, radiation oncology, pathology, and radiology, he provides expert opinion on all brain tumor cases at the weekly UMMC neuro-oncology tumor board. This tumor board is designed to provide patients of UMMC world-class care in the management of their cancer. This group also develops and enrolls patients in cutting edge clinical trials.
As a native of Baltimore and a graduate of the University of Maryland system, he takes particular pride in the health system and the treatment of patients from the state of Maryland.
Glioblastoma, Glioma, Immunotherapy, meningioma, checkpoint inhibitor, Car-T, Oligodendroglioma, Astrocytoma, CNS Lymphoma, Metastases, Pilocytic astrocytoma, pleomorphic xanthrocytoma, High Grade Glioma, Low Grade Glioma, Radiation Therapy, Proton
1. Checkpoint Inhibitor Failure in Hypermutated and Mismatch Repair-Mutated Recurrent High-Grade Gliomas. Ahmad H, Fadul CE, Schiff D, Purow B. Neuro-Oncology Practice 2019 April 07
2. Oligodendroglioma Confers Higher Risk of Radiation Necrosis, Ahmad H, Martin D, Patel SH, Donahue J, Lopes MB, Purow B, Schiff D, Fadul CE, 2019, Pending Publication
3. Multimodality Therapy of Patients with Refractory Meningiomas, Ahmad H, Schiff D. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2019 May 9;20(6):50. PubMed PMID: 31073797.
4. Neurologic Side Effects of Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy. Ahmad H, Jo J, Gaughan E, Fadul CE. SITC Handbook, SITC’s Guide to Managing Immunotherapy Toxicity. Edited by Ernstoff M, Puzanov I, Robert C, Diab A, Hersey P, New York, Springer Publishing Company. 2018
5. Safety of Endovascular Intervention for Acute Stroke in Patients on Anticoagulation Kurowski D, Jonczak K, Shah Q, Yaghi S, Marshall RS, Ahmad H, McKinney J, Torres J, Ishida K, Cucchiara J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017 May;26(5):11041109. PubMed PMID: 28110890