Christy Chang graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute with a BS in biology in 1988. In 1994, she completed her PhD in human genetics and molecular biology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine under the co-mentorship of Kirby Smith, PhD, and George Dover, MD. For over a decade, she worked on the genetics underlying fetal hemoglobin production as a possible way to provide better treatment for patients with sickle cell disease and beta-thalassemia, both at the Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA) as well as at the University of Cagliari (with Licinio Contu, MD, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy). While working in the laboratory of Aravinda Chakravarti, PhD, she switched her research focus to the genetics of complex diseases such as hypertension. She was appointed an assistant professor at UMB in 2005 and promoted to an associate professor in 2010.
- Genetics of hypertension, high cholesterol, psychiatric disorders, and pain sensing
- Bioinformatics tools for function prediction
- Regulatory elements (non-protein coding) in the human genome
Grants & Contracts:
Dr. Chang's work is funded by various NIH institutes: NHLBI, NIDDK, NIGMS, NINR, and NIMH.
Selected from the last 10 years
- Young JH, Chang YP, Kim JD, Chretien JP, Klag MJ, Levine MA, et al. Differential susceptibility to hypertension is due to selection during the out-of-Africa expansion. PLoS Genet. 2005;1(6):e82. PMCID: 1342636.
- Chang YP, Kim JD, Schwander K, Rao DC, Miller MB, Weder AB, Cooper RS, Schork NJ, Province MA, Morrison AC, Kardia SL, Quertermous T, Chakravarti, A. The impact of data quality on the identification of complex disease genes: experience from the Family Blood Pressure Program. Eur J Hum Genet. 2006;14(4):469-77.
- Chang YP, Liu X, Kim JD, Ikeda MA, Layton MR, Weder AB, Cooper RS, Kardia SL, Rao DC, Hunt SC, Luke A, Boerwinkle E, Chakravarti A. Multiple genes for essential-hypertension susceptibility on chromosome 1q. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;80(2):253-64. PMCID: 1785356.
- Rampersaud E, Damcott CM, Fu M, Shen H, McArdle P, Shi X, Shelton J, Yin J, Chang YP, Ott SH, Zhang L, Zhao Y, Mitchell BD, O'Connell J, Shuldiner AR. Identification of novel candidate genes for type 2 diabetes from a genome-wide association scan in the Old Order Amish: evidence for replication from diabetes-related quantitative traits and from independent populations. Diabetes. 2007;56(12):3053-62. PMID: 21059979.
- McArdle PF, Parsa A, Chang YP, Weir MR, O'Connell JR, Mitchell BD, Shuldiner AR. Association of a common nonsynonymous variant in GLUT9 with serum uric acid levels in Old Order Amish. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58(9):2874-81. PMCID: 2779583.
- Wang Y, O'Connell JR, McArdle PF, Wade JB, Dorff SE, Shah SJ, Shi X, Pan L, Rampersaud E, Shen H, Kim JD, Subramanya AR, Steinle NI, Parsa A, Ober CC, Welling PA, Chakravarti A, Weder AB, Cooper RS, Mitchell BD, Shuldiner AR, Chang YP. From the Cover: Whole-genome association study identifies STK39 as a hypertension susceptibility gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106(1):226-31. PMCID: 2629209.
- Wang Y, Samuels JF, Chang YC, Grados MA, Greenberg BD, Knowles JA, McCracken JT, Rauch SL, Murphy DL, Rasmussen SA, Cullen B, Hoehn-Saric R, Pinto A, Fyer AJ, Piacentini J, Pauls DL, Bienvenu OJ, Riddle M, Shugart YY, Liang KY, Nestadt G. Gender differences in genetic linkage and association on 11p15 in obsessive-compulsive disorder families. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009;150B(1):33-40.
- Welling PA, Chang YP, Delpire E, Wade JB. Multigene kinase network, kidney transport, and salt in essential hypertension. Kidney Int. 2010;77(12):1063-9.
- Ehret GB, Munroe PB, Rice KM, Bochud M, Johnson AD, Chasman DI, Smith AV, Tobin MD, Chang YP, O'Connell JR, Steinle NI, Grobbee DE, Arking DE, Kardia SL, Morrison AC, Hernandez D, Abecasis GR, Chakravarti A, Elliott P, van Duijn CM, Newton-Cheh C, Levy D, Caulfield MJ, Johnson T. Genetic variants in novel pathways influence blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk. Nature. 2011; 478(7367):103-9. PMID:21909115.
- Fox ER, Young JH, Li Y, Dreisbach AW, Keating BJ, Musani SK, Liu K, Morrison AC, Ganesh S, Chang YP, O'Connell JR, Steinle NI, Boerwinkle E, Boehnke M, Larson MG, Jarvelin MR, Psaty BM, Abecasis GR, Elliott P, van Duijn CM, Newton-Cheh C. Association of genetic variation with systolic and diastolic blood pressure among African Americans: the Candidate Gene Association Resource study. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20(11):2273-84. PMCID: 3090190.
- Parsa A, Chang YP, Kelly RJ, Corretti MC, Ryan KA, Robinson SW, Gottlieb SS, Kardia SL, Shuldiner AR, Liggett SB. Hypertrophy-associated polymorphisms ascertained in a founder cohort applied to heart failure risk and mortality. Clin Transl Sci. 2011;4(1):17-23.PMID: 21348951.
- Montasser ME, Douglas JA, Roy-Gagnon M-H, Van Hout CV, Weir MR, Vogel R, Parsa A, Steinle NI, Snitker S, Brereton HN, Chang YP, Shuldiner AR, Mitchell BD. Determinants of blood pressure response to low salt intake in a healthy adult population. J Clin Hyperten 13(11):795-800, 2011.
- Nestadt G, Wang Y, Grados MA, Riddle MA, Greenberg BD, Knowles JA, Fyer AJ, McCracken JT, Rauch SL, Murphy DL, Rasmussen SA, Cullen B, Piacentini J, Geller D, Pauls D, Bienven OJ, Chen Y, Liang KY, Goes FS, Pulver AE, Yao Y, Valle D, Samuels JF, Chang YC, Homeobox Genes in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 2011, 159B(1):53-60, PMID: 22095678
- Ganesh SK, Tragante V, Guo W, Guo Y, Lanktree MB, Smith EN, Johnson T, Castillo BA, Barnard J, Baumert J, Y.P Chang, et al., Loci influencing blood pressure identified using a cardiovascular gene-centric array, Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22(8):1663-78
- Sahu AD, Aniba R, Chang YC and Hannenhalli S, Epigenomic model of cardiac enhancers with application to genome wide association studies, Pac Symp Biocomput. 2013:92-102
- Prasad M, Bhalla K, Pan Z, O'Connell J, Weder A, Chakravarti A, Tian B, Chang YC, A polymorphic 3'UTR element in ATP1B1 regulates alternative polyadenylation and is associated with blood pressure. PLoS ONE 2013:8(10): e76290
- Tragante V, Michael R Barnes MR, Ganesh SK, Chang YC, et al, Gene-centric meta-analysis in 87,736 individuals of European ancestry identifies multiple blood pressure related loci, Am J Hum Genet. 2014 Feb 19. Epub ahead of print]
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.