Associate Professor of Pathology (Hematopathology) Director, Hematopathology Fellowship Program
Education and Training
- Rajasthan University, Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Jaipur, India. M.B.B.S., 1982-1988
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India, Postgraduation in Pathology, 1989-1992
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. Senior Residency in Pathology, 1993-1996
- The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Residency in Anatomic Pathology, 2002-2005
- The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Fellowship in Hematopathology, 2005-2006
- The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC. Fellowship in Molecular Genetic Pathology, 2006-2007
Myeloid neoplasms specifically therapy-related myeloid neoplasms, acute leukemia, myelodysplasia, Plasma cell neoplasms, biology, and the role of immunotherapy
Singh ZN, Huo D, Anastasi J, Smith SM, Karrison T, Le Beau MM , Larson RA, Vardiman JW. Therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome: morphologic subclassification may not be clinically relevant. Am J Clin Pathol. 2007; 127(2): 197-205.
Singh ZN, Post GR, Kiwan E, Maddox AM. Cytopenia, dysplasia, and monocytosis: a precursor to CMML or a distinct subgroup? Case reports and review of literature. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2011; 11(3): 293-297.
Usmani SZ , Nair B, Qu P, Hansen E, Zhang Q, N. Petty, S. Waheed, J.D. Shaughnessy, Y. Alsayed, C.J. Heuck, F. vanRhee, Milner T, Hoering A , Szymonifka J, Sexton R, Sawyer J, Singh ZN, Crowley J, Barlogie B. Primary plasma cell leukemia: clinical and laboratory presentation, gene expression profiling, and clinical outcome with Total Therapy protocols. Leukemia 2012; 26(11): 2398-2405.
Singh ZN, Medlin S, Usmani SZ. Molecular monitoring and treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology. J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012; 2:113.
Usmani SZ , Sawyer J , Rosenthal A, Cottler-Fox M , Epstein J , Yaccoby S , Sexton R , Hoering A , Singh ZN, Heuck CJ , Waheed S, Chauhan N , Johann D , Abdallah AO, Muzaffar J, Petty N, Bailey C, Crowley J , van Rhee F , Barlogie B . Risk factors for MDS and acute leukemia following total therapy 2 and 3 for multiple myeloma. Blood 2013; 121(23): 4753-4757.
Evans HL , Singh ZN , Badros A , Zou Y , Alapat D , Chen QC . The Diagnostic Challenge of Therapy-Related Pure Erythroid Leukemia arising in the background of Multiple Myeloma. J Leuk (Los Angel) 2:141. doi: 10.4172/2329-6917.1000141.
Nanaji NM, Chen QC, Singh ZN, Ross DD, Elman A, Zou YS. Concomitant bone marrow involvement by plasma cell myeloma and primary myelodysplastic syndrome with biclonal complex chromosome anomalies. Leukemia & Lymphoma 2015;24:1-3.
Singh ZN, Y. Jethava Y, Post GR, Alapat D, Sawyer J, Waheed S , Nair B , Usmani SZ , Bailey C, Petty N, Van Rhee F, Barlogie B. Fulminant onset of acute leukemia from normal hematopoiesis within three months of follow-up for multiple myeloma treated with total therapy protocols. Clinical Case Reports 2015; 3(3): 83–192.
Mathias TJ, Natarajan K, Shukla S, Doshi KA, Singh ZN, Ambudkar SV, Baer MR. The FLT3 and PDGFR inhibitor crenolanib is a substrate of the multidrug-resistance-protein ABCB1 but does not inhibit transport function at pharmacologically relevant concentrations. Investigational new drugs 2015;33(2): 300-309.
Yared J, Hajj S, Hardy N, Ujjani C, Goecke C, Yanovich S, Rapoport A, Badros A, Kocoglu M, Sausville E, Ruehle K, Landau M, Singh ZN. Major Clinical Response to Nivolumab in Relapsed/Refractory Hodgkin Lymphoma (HL) after Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation (SCT). Bone Marrow Transplantation 2016; 51:850-852.
Furusawaa A, Sadashivaiaha K, Singh ZN, Civin CI, Banerjee A. Inefficient megakaryopoiesis in mouse hematopoietic stem–progenitor cells lacking T-bet. Experimental hematology 2016; 44(3):194-206.
Emadi A, Bade NA, Stevenson B, Singh ZN. Minimally-Myelosuppressive Asparaginase-Containing Induction Regimen for Treatment of a Jehovah’s Witness with mutant IDH1/NPM1/NRAS Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Pharmaceuticals 2016; 9(1): 12.
Muvarak NE, Chowdhury K, Xia L, Robert C, Choi EY, Cai Y, Bellani M, Zou Y, Singh ZN, Duong VH, Rutherford T, Nagaria P, Bentzen SM, Seidman MM, Baer MR, Lapidus RG, Baylin SB, Rassol FV. Enhancing the Cytotoxic Effects of PARP Inhibitors with DNA Demethylating Agents – A Potential Therapy for Cancer. Cancer Cell; 30 (4); 637–650.
Zou YS , Hoppman NL , Singh ZN , Sawhney S , Kotiah SD , Baer MR. Novel t(5;11)(q32;q13.4) with NUMA1-PDGFRB fusion in a myeloid neoplasm with eosinophilia with response to imatinib mesylate. Cancer Genetics 212-213 (2017) 38–44.
Badros A, Hyjek E, Ning Ma N,…, Singh ZN. Pembrolizumab, pomalidomide and low dose dexamethasone for relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma. Blood 2017: blood-017-03-775122
F. VanRhee, K. Stone, S. Szmania, B. Barlogie, Z.N. Singh. Castleman Disease in the 21st century: an update on diagnosis, assessment, and therapy. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2010; 8: 486-98.
Z.N. Singh, S. Medlin, S.Z. Usmani. Molecular monitoring and treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology. J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012; 2:113. doi:10.4172/2161- 0681.1000113.
Z.N.Singh , M.L. Gulley: Pediatric Acute Leukemia. In A.C. Mackinnon Jr. (ed.), Pediatric Neoplasia: Advances in Molecular Pathology 21 and Translational Medicine, Molecular and Translational Medicine, DOI 10.1007/978-1-62703-116-5_2, © Springer Science+Business Media New York 2012
Z.N.Singh , N.Patel , M.L. Gulley : Pediatric Lymphoma. In A.C. Mackinnon Jr. (ed.), Pediatric Neoplasia: Advances in Molecular Pathology 21 and Translational Medicine, Molecular and Translational Medicine, DOI 10.1007/978-1-62703-116-5_2, © Springer Science+Business Media New York 2012
Z.N.Singh , M.L. Gulley: Pediatric Myelodysplasia and Myeloid Proliferations. In A.C. Mackinnon Jr. (ed.), Pediatric Neoplasia: Advances in Molecular Pathology 21 and Translational Medicine, Molecular and Translational Medicine, DOI 10.1007/978-1-62703-116-5_2, © Springer Science+Business Media New York 2012
M. Boota, J. Bornhorst, Z.N. Singh, S.Z. Usmani: New prognostic Modalities in Multiple Myeloma. In Roamn Hajek (ed), Multiple Myeloma- A Quick Reflection on the Fast Progress, under CC BY 3.0 license. ISBN 978-953-51-1083-5, April 2013
- Molecular Genetic Pathology
Ad hoc reviewer of manuscripts
- 2001-2002: Indian Journal of Pediatrics (1/year)
- 2005: Leukemia & Lymphoma (1/year)
- 2012: Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research (1/year)
- 2012: Biologics: Targets and Therapy (1/year)
- 2015: Journal of Leukemia (2/year)
- 2017: Blood
Journal editorial board
- 2013-present: Austin Journal of Pathology.
- 2013-present: Annals of Clinical Pathology.
- 2010-2012: Advisor, voting member, and contributor for the CLSI (Clinical laboratory Standards Institute) committee on Nucleic Acid Amplification-based test methods for Molecular Hematopathology (MM05).
- 2012-2013: Contributor, CLSI Document Development Committee on Nucleic Acid Sequencing Methods in Diagnostic Laboratory Medicine for revision of CLSI guideline MM09-A, Nucleic Acid Sequencing Methods in Diagnostic Laboratory Medicine; Approved Guideline.
- 2011-2012: Member, Education Committee, Society of Hematopathology.
- 2012-present: Working group for the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) competency-based knowledge framework in Hematopathology.
- 2014-2016: Member of working group for the ASCP competency-based knowledge.
- 2014-present: Member, American Society of Hematology-Health Volunteers Overseas Executive Committee.
- 2015: Team leader for Laboratory inspection for College of American Pathologists.
Zeba Singh (Co investigator, no salary support; PI: Dr. Amy Kimball)
“Existence of IRAK proteins in Hodgkin Lymphoma.”
Greenbaum Cancer Center Pilot Project grant
Total amount $5000.00
Zeba Singh (Co-investigator, 3%; Pathology Core E; PI; Bart Barlogie)
“Growth Control in Multiple Myeloma."
NCI Program Project P01-CA055819-18.
Effort: Co-investigator in Core E (Experimental Cellular Pathology) for morphological, immunohistochemical, and molecular studies on myeloma
Zeba Singh (Collaborator; no salary support; PI: Sarah Waheed).
“Pilot study of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in addition to standard growth factor support for hematopoietic progenitor/stem cell mobilization.”
Center for Clinical and Translational Research: UARK 2010-43 (NCT01449539).
Total amount: $49,000.00.
Effort: Morphological, immunohistochemical, and molecular studies on bone marrow core biopsies, aspirates, and other specimens in patients with multiple myeloma
- 2000: Hemophilia foundation education camp, and fundraising camp, New Delhi, India
- 2001: National Polio awareness and vaccination camp. New Delhi, India
- 2014: American Society of Hematology, Health Volunteer Overseas program volunteer for hematopathology teaching at Edgardo Rebagliati Martins Hospital, Lima, Peru, and Hospital Nacional Carlos Alberto Seguin Escobedo EsSalud, Arequipa, Peru.
- 2014-present: Volunteer for Blue Ridge Border Collie rescue.