LGBTQ+ Terms, Disparities and Pronouns Guide
Terms & Pronouns
For current students: Medscope now offers a spot to add your pronouns to your name. Go to your profile, choose “general” and then ”edit” under your name to add.
LGBTQ+ Health Disparities
According to the National Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion:
- LGBT youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide.
- Lesbians are less likely to get preventive services for cancer.
- Gay men are at higher risk of HIV and other STDs, especially among communities of color.
- Transgender individuals have a high prevalence of HIV/STDs, victimization, mental health issues, and suicide and are less likely to have health insurance than heterosexual or LGB individuals.
- Elderly LGBT individuals face additional barriers to health because of isolation and a lack of social services and culturally competent providers.
- LGBT populations have the highest rates of tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use.