The mission of the Office of Research Affairs (ORA) is to enhance the research enterprise and to provide support for research being conducted at the School of Medicine, which includes seven basic science and seventeen clinical departments, nine organized research centers, and four research institutes. The ORA serves as a “research hub” to assist faculty in expanding collaborative, innovate research that will lead to an increased number of novel competitive grant applications to a variety of funding agencies.
The ORA staff provides a wide range of services to SOM faculty toward this mission including:
- Reviewing and managing the pre-award process
- Streamlining the application and regulatory compliance processes
- Identifying and notifying departments and faculty members about funding opportunities
- Assisting with limited grant submissions and university funded award programs
- Assembling and submitting large/complex multi-PI grant applications
- The ORA can provide assistance in acquiring letters of support, assembling and proofreading proposals, etc. We require that all requests for assistance be made at least two months prior to the proposal deadline.
- Identifying and establishing new, interdisciplinary research collaborations
- Interfacing between departmental research administrators and university compliance staff
Overall the ORA fosters a collaborative, efficient and innovative research environment for all SOM Faculty, Students, Fellows and Staff.