Professor of Psychiatry Affiliate Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science
MPRC, Treatment Research Program
Education and Training
1995: B.S., Pharmacy, Duquesne University, Mylan School of Pharmacy (Magna Cum Laude)
1996: Pharm.D., Duquesne University, Mylan School of Pharmacy
Post Graduate Education and Training
1996 - 1997: Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice Residency, University of Maryland Baltimore
1998-present: Board Certified in Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice
Deanna L. Kelly, Pharm.D., BCPP is Professor of Psychiatry at University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine and Affiliate Professor in the School of Pharmacy. She is currently Director and Chief of the Treatment Research Program at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC). Dr. Kelly received her Bachelor of Science and Doctorate in Pharmacy at DuquesneUniversity in Pittsburgh, PA. She completed residency training in psychiatric pharmacy practice at the University of Maryland in 1997 and became board certified in psychiatric pharmacy practice in 1998.
Dr. Kelly has led and been involved in numerous clinical trials in schizophrenia and has been active in psychopharmacology research for the past 20 years. She has been continuously funded by NIMH, NIDA, and private foundations such as the Stanley Medical Research Institute and the Maryland Innovation Initiative for over 17 years. She has specific interest in studying new treatments, women’s mental health, clozapine and immune function and inflammation.
Dr. Kelly has coauthored and authored 18 books and book chapters, published 171 peer-reviewed articles, presented over 140 posters and has given over 140 invited lectures. She has coauthored three editions of the book entitled “Pharmacologic Treatment of Schizophrenia.” She also authors the Schizophrenia chapter for “Pharmacotherapy, Principles and Practice.” Among many other activities she reviews for over 30 psychiatry journals and serves as a founding and current Associate Editor for Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychoses. Dr Kelly chairs the Junior Faculty Mentoring Committee at MPRC, and serves as Vice Chair of the State of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Institutional Review Board.
She is the current President for the College of Psychiatric & Neurologic Pharmacists and recipient of the 2017 Maltz Prize for Innovative and Promising Schizophrenia Research from the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
schizophrenia research, antipsychotic medication, women, gluten, clinical trials
Kelly, DL, Sullivan KM, McEvoy JP, McMahon RP, Wehring HJ, Liu F, Warfel D, Vyas G, Richardson CM, Fischer BA, Keller WR, Koola MM, Feldman, SM, Russ JC, Keefe RS, Osing J, Hubzin L, August A, Walker TM, Buchanan RW. Adjunctive Minocycline in clozapine treated schizophrenia patients with persistent symptoms. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2015 Aug;35(4):374-81. doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000000345. PMID: 26082974
Richardson CM*, Davis EA,* Vyas GR, DiPaula BA, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Evaluation of the safety of clozapine use in patients with benign neutropenia. J Clin Psych 2016;77(11):e1454-e1459. PMID: 27736047.
Cihakova D, Eaton WW, Talor MV, Harkus UH, Demyanovich H, Rodriguez K, Feldman S, Kelly DL. Gliadin-related antibodies in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 2017, epub ahead of print PMID: 28886891
Kelly DL, Freudenreich O, Sayer MA, Love RC. Addressing barriers to clozapine underutilization: a national effort. Psychiatr Serv 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 29032704.
Kelly DL, Demyanovich HK, Eaton W, Cascella N, Jackson J, Fasano A, Carpenter WT. Antigliadin antibodies (AGA IgG) related to peripheral inflammation in schizophrenia. Brain Behav Immun 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 29074356
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Pharmacologic treatment of schizophrenia. Professional Communications, Inc. First Edition, Caddo, OK 2000.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Pharmacologic treatment of schizophrenia. Professional Communications, Inc. Second Edition, Caddo, OK 2003.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Pharmacologic treatment of schizophrenia. Professional Communications, Inc. Third Edition, Caddo, OK, 2007.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. The long-term efficacy, effectiveness and safety of second-generation antipsychotic drugs. In: Atypical antipsychotics: from bench to bedside. Editors: Csernansky JG, Lauriello J. Marcel Dekker 2004.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Schizophrenia. In Conn’s Current Therapy 2005. Editors: Rakel R and Bope E. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia 2005, pp. 1280-1284.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Schizophrenia. In Conn’s Current Therapy 2006. Editors: Rakel R and Bope E. Philadelphia, PA: W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia 2006, 1370-1374.
- Boggs D, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Antipsychotic Therapeutics (Efficacy and Side Effects). In The Year in SchizophreniaVolumeI. Editors: Thaker G, Carpenter WT., Clinical Publishing, Oxford, UK. 2007,209-231.
- Kelly DL, Weiner E. Schizophrenia, in Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, Chisholm-Burns M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al (eds), McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 2008.
- Kelly DL, Boggs DL, Conley RR. Reaching for wellness in schizophrenia: A Complex Disease Necessitating Complex Care. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Buckley PF, Messias EL (eds), Saunders, Philadelphia, PA 2007;30:453-479.
- Boggs D, Kelly DL. Antipsychotic Therapeutics. In The Year in Schizophrenia Volume II. Editors: Thaker G, Carpenter WT., Clinical Publishing, Oxford, UK. 2008.
- Wehring HJ, Kelly DL. Sexual Dysfunction in Schizophrenia. In: Medical Illness in Schizophrenia, second edition 2009. Eds Meyer JM, Nasrallah HA. American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Wehring H. Schizophrenia, in Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, second edition. Chisholm-Burns M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al (eds), McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 2010.
- Perez G, Dixon L, Kelly DL. Evidence Based Medicine. In: Levin BL, Becker MA (Eds.). A Public Health Perspective of Women's Mental Health. New York: Springer, 2010.
- Kelly DL, Buchanan RW. Clozapine: It’s Current Status In and Beyond Treatment Resistant Schizophrenia. In: Therapeutic Strategies in Schizophrenia. 2010. Eds., P McKenna, A. Mortimer. Clinical Publishing Limited.
- Wehring HJ, Kelly DL. Schizophrenia. In; Pharmacotherapy Principles & Practice Study Guide: A Cased Based Care Plan Approach, First Edition. Michael D. Katz, Kathryn R. Matthias, and Marie A. Chisholm-Burns, Editors. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. 2010.
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Wehring H. Schizophrenia, in Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, third edition, Chrisholm, Burns M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al (eds), McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 2012
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Wehring H. Schizophrenia, in Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, third edition, Chrisholm, Burns M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al (eds), McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 2014
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Wehring H. Schizophrenia, in Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, fourth edition, Chrisholm, Burns M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al (eds), McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 2016.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Moore DB, Kelly DL, Sherr JD, Love RC, Conley RR. Rehospitalization rates of depot antipsychotics and pharmacoeconomic implications: comparison with risperidone. American Journal of Health-Systems Pharmacy. 1998;55(4):17-19. PMID: 987268.
- Sherr JD, Kelly DL. Substitution of immediate release valproic acid for divalproex sodium for adult psychiatric inpatients. Psychiatric Services. 1998;49:1355-57. PMID: 9779912.
- Conley, RR, Kelly DL, Gale E. Olanzapine response in therapy-refractory schizophrenia with substance abuse. Schizophrenia Research. 1998;33:95-101. PMID: 9783349.
- Kelly DL, Conley RR, Love RC, Horn DS, Ushchak CM. Weight gain in adolescents treated with risperidone and conventional antipsychotics. The Journal of the Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 1998;8:151-159. PMID: 9853689.
- Kelly DL, Conley RR, Tamminga CA. Differential olanzapine plasma concentrations by sex in a fixed dose study. Schizophrenia Research. 1999;40(2):101-4. PMID: 10593449.
- Conley RR, Love RC, Kelly DL, Bartko JJ. Rehospitalization rates of patients recently discharged on a regimen of risperidone or clozapine. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1999;156:863-868. PMID:10360124.
- Conley RR, Tamminga CA, Kelly DL, Richardson C. Treatment-resistant schizophrenic patients respond to clozapine after olanzapine non-response. Biological Psychiatry. 1999; 46;73-77. PMID:10394475.
- Love RC, Conley RR, Kelly DL, Bartko JJ. A dose-outcome analysis of risperidone. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999;60:771-775. PMID: 10584767.
- Kelly DL, Love RC. Ziprasidone and the QTc: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic considerations. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2001;35:66-79. PMID: 12397857.
- Richardson C, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Biperiden for excessive sweating associated with clozapine use. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:1329-30. PMID: 11481174.
- Conley RC, Kelly DL. Management of treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry. 2001;50:898-911.PMID: 11743944.
- Kelly DL, Nelson MW, Love RC, Yu Y, Conley RR. Comparison of discharge rates and drug costs for patients with schizophrenia treated with risperidone or olanzapine. Psychiatric Services. 2001;52:676-8. PMID: 11331805.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Current status of antipsychotic treatment. Current Drug Targets - CNS and Neurological Disorders. 2002;1:123-128. PMID:12769630.
- Kreyenbuhl J, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Circumstances of suicide among patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2002;58(2-3):253-6. PMID: 12409166.
- McMahon RP, Kelly DL Kreyenbuhl J, Kirkpatrick B, Love RC, Conley RR. Novel factor-based symptom scores in treatment-resistant schizophrenia: implications for clinical trials. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002;537-545. PMID: 11927178.
- Kelly DL, Conley RR, Richardson CM, TammingaCA, Carpenter WT Jr. Adverse Effects and Laboratory Parameters of High-Dose Olanzapine vs. Clozapine in Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia. Annals of Clin Psychiatry. 2003;15:181-6. PMID: 14971863.
- Kelly DL, Kreyenbuhl J, Love RC, Van-Duong Q, Conley RR. Six-month review of weight and metabolic parameters in patients on clozapine, risperidone, olanzapine and quetiapine. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2003;64:1133-4. PMID: 14628994.
- Kelly DL, Gale EA, Yu Y, Conley RR. Clozapine treatment in patients with prior substance abuse. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2003;48(2):111-4.
- Kelly DL, Conley RR. Evaluating sexual function in patients with treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2003;63(1-2):195-6. PMID: 12892874.
- Wehring H, Kelly DL, Love RC, Conley RR. Deaths from diabetic ketoacidosis after long-term clozapine treatment. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:2241-2242. PMID:14638600.
- Lambert TJR, Cock N, Alcock S, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Measurement of antipsychotic-induced side effects: Support for the validity of a self-report (LUNSERS) vs. structured interview (UKU) approach to measurement. Human Psychopharmacology. 2003;18(5):405-41. PMID:12858330.
- Nelson M, Reynolds R, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Adjunctive quetiapine decreases symptoms of tardive dyskinesia in a patient taking risperidone: case report. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2003;26:297-8. PMID: 14646608.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL, Love RC, McMahon RP. Rehospitalization risk with second-generation and depot antipsychotics. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry. 2003. 15:23-31. PMID:12839430.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL, Richardson CM, TammingaCA, Carpenter WT Jr. The Efficacy of High Dose Olanzapine vs. Clozapine in Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia: A Double-Blind Crossover Study. J Clin Psychopharmacology. 2003;23:668-671. PMID: 14624201.
- Lambert TJ, Brenan A, Castle DJ, Kelly DL, Conley RR. Perception of depot antipsychotics by mental health professionals. J Psychiatric Practice. 2003;9(3):252-260. PMID: 15985940.
- Love RC, Kelly DL. Olanzapine and risperidone. American Journal of Health-Systems Pharmacy. 2003;60:487-88. PMID: 12635459.
- Shim J-C, Kelly DL, Kim Y-H, Yoon Y-R, Park JH, Shin J-G, Conley RR. Fluoxetine augmentation of haloperidol in chronic schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacology. 2003; 520-2. PMID:14520132
- Lambert, TJ, Kelly DL, Alcock S, Conley RR. Psychotropic prescribing for acute inpatient admissions in patients with severe psychosis. J Clin Psychopharmacology. 2004;24:91-3. PMID: 14709954
- Kelly DL, Conley RR. Sexuality and schizophrenia: a review. Schizophrenia Bulletin: 2004;30:767-779. PMID:15954189
- Kelly DL, Shim J-C, Feldman SM, Yu Y, Conley RR. Lifetime Psychiatric Symptoms in Persons with Schizophrenia Who Died by Suicide Compared to Other Means of Death. J of Psychiatric Research. 2004;38:531-36. PMID:15380404
- Kelly DL, Love RC, Mackowick M, Conley RR. Atypical Antipsychotic Use in a StateHospital Inpatient Adolescent Population, Journal of Child and Adolesc Psychopharmacology. 2004; 14(1):75-85. PMID:15142394
- Conley RR, Kelly DL, Beason-Held, Holcomb H, Richardson C, Tamminga CA, Carpenter WT. The effects of clozapine and high dose olanzapine on brain function in treatment-resistant schizophrenia: a case study. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 2004;18:429-31. PMID:15358989
- Kim YH,Shim J-C, Kelly DL, Lee J-G, Seo Y-S, Conley RR. Cortisol Response to Buspirone in Extended Abstinent Alcoholics. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2004;39(4):287-289. PMID:15208158
- Conley RR, Shim JC, Kelly DL, Yu Y, Feldman S, McMahon RP. Cardiovascular disease in Relation to Weight in deceased persons with schizophrenia. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2005;46:460-7. PMID:16275214
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Review of Current Drug Targets and Pharmacology of Antipsychotic Treatment. Medicinal Chemistry Reviews- Online. 2005;2(3):177-182.
- Jung DU, Seo YS, Park JH, Jeong CY, Conley RR, Kelly DL, Shim JC. The prevalence of hyperprolactinemia after long-term haloperidol use in patients with chronic schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2005;25:613-615, PMID:16282852.
- Kelly DL. The Schizophrenic Patient: The Reproductive Years and Beyond The Female Patient, OB-GYN edition, 2005;30(8):22-31.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Second-generation antipsychotics for schizophrenia: a review of clinical pharmacology and medication-associated side effects. Israel Journal of Psychiatr and Related Sciences. 2005;42(1):51-60. PMID:16134407
- Conley RR, Kelly DL, Nelson M, Richardson CM, Feldman S, Reynolds R, Steiner P, Yu Y, Khan I, McMullen R, Gale E, Mackowick M, Love R. Risperidone and quetiapine vs. fluphenazine in treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2005;28(4):163-8. PMID:16062094
- Kelly DL, Carpenter WT, Conley RR. First Episode Schizophrenia: A Focus on Pharmacologic Treatment and Safety Considerations. Drugs. 2005; 65:1113-38. PMID:15907146
- Conley RR, Kelly DL, Lambert TJ, Love RC. A comparison of clozapine use in Maryland and in Victoria, Australia. Psychiatric Services. 2005;56:320-3. PMID:15746507
- Kelly DL, Conley RR. Thyroid function in treatment-resistant schizophrenia patients treated with quetiapine, risperidone or fluphenazine. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2005;66:80-84. PMID:15669892
- Shim J-C Kim Y-H, Kelly DL, Lee J-G, Conley RR. Tardive dyskinesia predicts prolactin response to buspirone challenge in people with schizophrenia. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2005;17:221-6. PMID:15939977
- Kelly DL. Treatment Considerations in Women with Schizophrenia. Journal of Women’s Health. 2006;15:1132-40. PMID:17199454
- Kelly DL, Kreyenbuhl J, Dixon L, Love RC, Medoff D, Conley RR. Clozapine Underutilization and Discontinuation in African-Americans Due to Leucopenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2007;33(5):1221-4. PMID:17170061
- Kelly DL, Dixon L, Kreyenbuhl J, Lehman AF, Love RC, Medoff D, Brown C, Conley RR. Clozapine Utilization and Outcomes by Race in a Public Mental Health System: 1994-2000. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67:1404-11. PMID:17017827
- Jung D-O, Conley RR, Kelly DL, Kim D_W, Yoon S-H, Jang J-H, Shin J-G, Shim J-C. The Prevalence of Bone Mineral Density Loss in the Korean Patients with Chronic Schizophrenia. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67:1391-96. PMID:17017825
- Kelly DL, Richardson CM, Yu Yang, Conley RR. Plasma Concentrations of High Dose Olanzapine in a Double Blind Crossover Study. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 2006;21:393-8. PMID:16850522
- Kelly DL, Conley RR, Feldman S, Yu Y, McMahon RP, Richardson CM. Adjunct Divalproex or Lithium to Clozapine in Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2006;77(1):81-95. PMID:16397757
- Kelly DL, Conley RR. A randomized double-blind 12-week study of quetiapine, risperidone or fluphenazine on sexual functioning in people with schizophrenia. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2006;31;340-346. PMID:16198059
- Shim J-C, Shin J-G, Kelly DL, Jung D-U, Seo Y-S, Liu KH, Sohn J-H, Conley RR. Adjunctive Treatment With a Dopamine Partial Agonist, Aripiprazole, for Antipsychotic-Induced Hyperprolactinemia: A Placebo-Controlled Trial. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2007;164 (9):1310-2. PMID:17728426
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Clinical Pharmacology and Medication-Associated Side Effects: A Review of Second-Generation Antipsychotics for Schizophrenia. Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Psychoses. 2007;3:135-146.
- Shim JC, Choe BM, Kim JG, Jae YM, Kim HC, Kim SG, Oh MK,Kelly DL, Conley RR.Discontinuation of Risperidone, Olanzapine, and Haloperidol in First Episode Psychosis. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007;27:400-401. PMID:17632229
- Kelly DL, Kreyenbuhl J, Buchanan RW, Malhotra MK. Why Not Clozapine? Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Psychoses. 2007;1:92-5.
- Conley RR, Kelly DL. Drug–drug Interactions Associated with Second-Generation Antipsychotics: Considerations for Clinicians and Patients. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2007;40:77-97. PMID:17285099
- Kelly, DL, Conley RR, Love RC, Morrison JA, McMahon RP. Metabolic Risk With Second-Generation Antipsychotic Treatment: A Double-Blind Randomized 8-week Trial of Risperidone and Olanzapine. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry. 2008;20:71-8. PMID:18568578
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Conley RR, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW. Lack of Beneficial Galantamine Effect for Smoking Behavior: A Double-Blind Randomized Trial in People with Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2008;103;161-8. PMID:18550339
- Shim JC, Liu Y-S, Kelly DL. Aripiprazole Treatment Causes Extrapyramidal Side Effects but Not Prolactin Elevations: A Disconnect of the Striatal D2 Occupancy Story. J Clin Psychopharmacology. 2008;28(3):353-354. PMID:18480699
- Boggs DL, Kelly DL, Nelson MW, Yu Y, Feldman S, McMahon RP, Conley RR. Quetipine at High doses for Treatment Refractory Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2008;101:347-8. PMID:18281197
- McMahon RP, Kelly DL, Boggs DL, Li L, Hu Q, Davis JM, Carpenter WT. Feasibility of Reducing the Duration of Placebo-Controlled Trials in Schizophrenia Research. Schizophrenia Bull. 2008;34:298-301. PMID:18184634
- Boggs DL, Kelly DL, Love RC, McMahon RP, Conley RR. Comparison of Clozapine Response for Inpatients in the Research Setting versus Routine Clinical Practice. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2008;79(2):111-119. PMID:18214677
- Schwilke EW, Schwope DM, Karschner EL, Lowe RH, Darwin WD, Kelly DL,Goodwin RS, Gorelick DA, Huestis MA. Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), 11-Hydroxy-THC & 11-nor-9-Carboxy-THC Plasma Pharmacokinetics During and Following Continuous High Dose Oral THC. Clinical Chemistry. 2009;55:2180-9. PMID: 19833841
- Kelly DL, Buchanan RW, Boggs DL, McMahon RP, Nelson M, Dickinson D, Gold JM, Ball MP, Feldman S, Liu F, Conley RR. A randomized double blind trial of atomoxetine for cognitive impairments in 32 people with schizophrenia. J Clinical Psychiatry. 2009;70(4):518-25. PMID: 19358788.
- Kelly DL, Linthicum J, Wehring HJ, Feldman S, McMahon RP, Lover RC, Wagner T, Shim J-C, Fowler DR. Cardiac-Related findings at autopsy in people with severe mental illness treated with clozapine or risperidone. Schizophrenia Research. 2009;107:134-8. PMID:19028422
- Conley RR, Boggs DL, Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Feldman S, Ball P, Buchanan RW. The Effects of Galantamine on Psychopathology in Chronic Stable Schizophrenia. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2009;32;69-74. PMID:18978489
- Kelly DL, Weiner E, Ball MP, McMahon RP, Carpenter WT, Buchanan RW. Remission in Schizophrenia: The Relationship to Baseline Symptoms and Changes in Symptom Domains During a One-Year Study. J of Psychopharmacology. 2009:23;436-41. PMID:18583442
- Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Liu F, Love RC, Wehring HJ, Shim JC, Warren KR, Conley RR. Cardiovascular disease mortality in patients with chronic schizophrenia treated with clozapine: a retrospective cohort study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:304-11. PMID: 20079332
- Kelly DL, Feldman S, Boggs DL, Gale E, Richardson CM, Conley RR. Nonresponse to clozapine and premorbid functioning in treatment of refractory schizophrenia. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2010;51;298-302. PMID 20399340
- Wehring HJ, Liu F, McMahon RP, Spieker EA, Warren KR, Boggs DL, Love RC, Dickinson D, Shim JC, Fowler D, Kelly DL. The relationship of brain weight to body mass index (BMI) upon autopsy in young people with severe mental illness. Schizophrenia Research. 2010;123:86-7. PMID:20800997
- Weiner E, Conley RR, Ball MP, Feldman S, Gold JM, Kelly DL, Wonodi I, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW. Adjunctive risperidone for partially responsive people with schizophrenia treated with clozapine Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35;2274-83. PMID: 20664583
- Milman G, Barnes AL, Schwope DM, Schwilke EW, Darwin WD, Goodwin RS, Kelly DL, Gorelick DA, Huestis MA. Disposition of Cannabinoids in Oral Fluid Following Controlled Around-the-Clock Oral THC Administration. Clinical Chemistry. 2010;56:1261-9. PMID: 20530732
- Levin KH, Copersino ML, Heishman SJ, Liu F, Kelly DL, Boggs DL, Gorelick DA. Cannabis Withdrawal Symptoms in Non-Treatment-Seeking Adult Cannabis Smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2010;111:120-7. PMID: 20510550
- Buchanan RW, Kreyenbuhl J, Kelly DL, Noel JM, Fischer BA, Himelhoch S, Boggs DL, Fang B, Peterson E, Aquino PR, Keller W. The 2009 SchizophreniaPORT Psychopharmacological Treatment Recommendations and Summary Statements. Schizophr Bull. 2010;36;71-93. PMID: 19955390
- Wehring HJ, Thedford S, Koola M, Kelly DL. Patient and Health Care Provider Perspectives on Long Acting Injectable Antipsychotics in Schizophrenia Disease. 2011;3:107-23. PMID: 23293546
- Jung DU, Kelly DL, Oh MK, Kong BG, Kang JW, Lee SJ, Shim JC: Bone Mineral Density and Osteoporosis Risk in Older Patients With Schizophrenia. J Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2011;31:406-10. PMID: 21694624
- Kelly DL, Myers CS, Abrams MT, Feldman S, Park J, McMahon RP, Shim JC. The impact of substance abuse on osteoporosis screening and risk of osteoporosis in women with psychotic disorders. Osteoporosis Int. 2011;22(4):1133-43. PMID: 20533029
- Milman G, Barnes AJ, SchwopeDM, Schwilke EW, Goodwin RS, KellyDL, GorelickDA, Huestis MA: Cannabinoids and metabolites in expectorated oral fluid after eight days of controlled around-the-clock oral THC administration. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2011;401:599-607. PMID: 21637933
- Cascella NG, Kryszak D, Bhatti B, Gregory P, Kelly DL, Mc Evoy JP, Fasano A, Eaton WW. Prevalence of celiac disease and gluten sensitivity in the United States Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness Study Population. Schizophr Bull. 2011;37:94-100, PMID:19494248.
- Ball MP, Warren KR, Feldman S, McMahon RP, Kelly DL, Buchanan RW: Placebo-controlled trial of atomoxetine for weight reduction in people with schizophrenia treated with clozapine or olanzapine. Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses. 2011. Apr;5(1):17-25. PMID: 21459735
- Lo S, Raley HG, Heishman SJ, Wright K, Wehring HJ, Moolchan ET, Feldman S, Liu F, McMahon RP, Richardson CM, Kelly DL. Cigarette Craving and Dependency in People with Schizophrenia Compared to Normal Controls. Schizophrenia Research. 2011;127:241-5. PMID: 20637571.
- Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Wehring H, Liu F, Mackowick K, Boggs DL, Warren KR, Feldman S, Shim JC, Love RC, Dixon L. Cigarette smoking and mortality risk in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Bulletin. 2011;37:832-8, PMID: 20019128
- Weiner E, Buchholz A, Coffay A, Liu F, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW, Kelly DL. Varenicline for smoking cessation in people with schizophrenia: a double blind randomized pilot study. Schizophr Res. 2011 Jun;129(1):94-5. PMID: 21376537
- Kelly DL, Gorelick DA, McMahon RP, Boggs DL, Linthicum J, Liu F, Feldman S, Ball MP, Richardson CM, Conley RR, Gold JM, Wehring HJ, Kearns AM, Huestis MA, Buchanan RW. Effects of the Cannabinoid-1 Receptor Antagonist Rimonabant on Psychiatric Symptoms In Overweight People with Schizophrenia: A Randomized, Double-Blind Pilot Study, J Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2011;31:86-91 PMID: 21192149
- Warren KR, Ball MP, Feldman S, Liu F, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Exercise program adherence using a 5-kilometer event and an achievable goal in people with schizophrenia. Biol Res Nurs 2011;13:383-90. PMID: 21196420
- Kelly DL, Vyas G, Richardson CM, Koola MM, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW, Wehring HJ. Adjunct Minocycline to Clozapine in Treatment Resistant Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2011;13:257-8. PMID: 21872445
- Gorelick DA, Goodwin RS, Schwilke E, Schwope DM, Darwin WD, Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Liu F, Ortemann-Renon C, Bonnet D, Huestis MA. Antagonist-elicited cannabis withdrawal in humans. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2011;31:603-12. PMID: 251869692
- Kelly DL, Thedford S, Vyas G. A new blood-based diagnostic aid for schizophrenia. Psychiatr Serv 2011;62:1107. PMID: 21885596
- Milman G, Schwope DM, Schwilke EW, Darwin WD, Kelly DL, Goodwin RS, Gorelick DA, Huestis MA. Oral fluid and plasma cannabinoid ratios afer around-the-clock controlled oral [delta]9-tetrahydrocannabinol administration. Clin Chem 2011;57:1597-606. PMID: 21875944
- Goodwin RS, Baumann MH, Gorelick DA, Schwilke E, Schwope DM, Darwin WD, Kelly DL, Schroeder JR, Ortemann-Renon C, Bonnet D, Huestis MA. CB1-Cannabinoid receptor antagonist effects on Cortisol in cannabis-dependent men. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2012;38:114-9 PMID: 2179781
- Koola M, Fawcett JA, Kelly DL. Case report on the management of depression in schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type focusing on lithium levels and measurement based care. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2011;199:989-990. PMID: 22134460
- Wehring HJ, Thedford S. Koola M, Kelly DL. Patient and health care provider perspectives on long acting antipsychotics in schizophrenia and the introduction of olanzapine long acting injection. J Cent Nerv Syst Dis 2011;3:107-123. PMID: 23293546
- Jackson J, Eaton W, Cascella N, Fasano A, Kelly DL. Neurologic and Psychiatric Manifestations of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2012;83:91-102. PMID: 21877216.
- Boggs DL, Kelly DL, RP McMahon, Gold JM, Gorelick DA, Linthicum J, Conley RR, Liu F, Waltz J, Huestis MA, Buchanan RW. Rimonabant for neurocognition in schizophrenia: a 16 week double blind randomized placebo controlled trial. Schizophr Res, 2012;134:207-10. PMID: 22137462
- Shim JC, Jung DU, Jung SS, Seo YS, Cho DM, Lee JH, Lee SW, Kong BG, Kang JW, Oh MK, Kim SD, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Adjunctive Varenicline Treatment with Antipsychotic Medications for Cognitive Impairments in People with Schizophrenia: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. Neuropsychopharmacology 2012;37:660-668 PMID: 22048460
- Koola MM, Brown WV, Qualls C, Cuthbert B, Hollis JP, Kelly DL, Le NA, Raines J, Duncan EJ. Reduced arterial compliance in patients with psychiatric diagnoses. Schizophr Res 2012; 137:251-3. PMID: 22377105
- Gorelick D, Levin KH, Copersino ML, Heishman SJ, Liu F, Boggs DL, Kelly DL. Diagnostic criteria for cannabis withdrawal syndrome. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2012:123:141-7. PMID: 22153944
- Karschner EL, Schwope DM, Schwilke EW, Goodwin RS, Kelly DL, Gorelick DA, Huestis MA. Predictive model accuracy in estimating last D(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) intake from plasma and whole blood cannabinoid concentrations in chronic, daily cannabis smokers administered subchronic oral THC. Drug Alcohol Depend 2012;125:313-9. PMID: 22464363.
- Abrams M, Myers C, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Cervical cancer screening and associated acute care rates for Medicaid enrollees with mental and substance use disorders. Psychiatric Services, 2012;63:815-22. PMID: 22666450.
- Kelly DL, Wehring HJ, Vyas G. The current use of clozapine in the US. Shanghai Arch of Psychiatry, 2012;24:110-113.
- Mackowick KM, Heishman SJ, Wehring HJ, Liu F, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Illicit drug use in heavy smokers with and without schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 2012;139:194-200. PMID: 22591779.
- Wehring HJ, Liu F, McMahon RP, Mackowick KM, Love RC, Dixon L, Kelly DL. Clinical characteristics of heavy and non-heavy smokers with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2012:138:285-9. PMID: 22578720
- Koola M, Wehring HJ, Kelly DL. The potential role of long acting injectable antipsychotics in dually diagnosed people with schizophrenia. Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 2012;8:50-61. PMID: 22754405
- Abrams MT, Myers CS, Feldman SM, Boddie-Willis C, Park K, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Cervical cancer screening and acute care visits among Medicaid enrollees with mental and substance use disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2012;63:815-22. PMID: 22660581
- Koola MM, McMahon RP, Wehring HJ, Liu F, Mackowick KM, Warren KR, Feldman S, Shim JC, Love RC, Kelly DL. Alcohol and cannabis use and mortality in people with schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders. J Psychatriat Res 2012;46:987-93. PMID: 22595870.
- Kelly DL, Raley H, Lo S, Wright K, Moolchan E, Feldman S, Liu F, McMahon RP, Richardson CM, Jaszyna-Gasior M, Wehring HJ, Boggs D, Heishman S. Perception of smoking risks and motivation to quit among nontreatment-seeking smokers with and without schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bull. 2012;38:543-51. PMID: 21041835
- Jackson J, Eaton W, Cascella N, Fasano A, Warfel D, Feldman D, Richardson C, Vyas G, Linthicum J, Santora D, Warren KR, Carpenter WT, Jr, Kelly DL. A gluten free diet in people with schizophrenia and anti-tissue transglutaminase or anti-gliadin antibodies. Schizophr Res 2012;140:262-3. PMID: 22771303
- Keller WR, Kum LM, Wehring HJ, Koola MM, Buchanan RW, Kelly DL. A review of anti-inflammatory agents for symptoms of schizophrenia. J Psychopharmacol 2013;27:337-42. PMID: 23151612.
- Boggs DL, Kelly DL, Liu F, Linthicum J, Turner H, Schroeder JR, McMahon RP, Gorelick DA. Cannabis withdrawal in chronic cannabis users with schizophrenia. J Psychiatr Res 2013;47:340-5. PMID: 23146560
- Gorelick DA, Goodwin RS, Schwilke E, Schwope DM, Darwin WD, Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Liu F, Ortemann-Renon C, Bonnet D, Huestis MA. Tolerance to Effects of High-Dose Oral [Delta}9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Plasma Cannabinoid Concentrations in Male Daily Cannabis Smokers. J Anal Toxicol 2013;37:11-6. PMID: 2307421
- Cascella NG, Santora D, Gregory P, Kelly DL, Fasano A, Eaton WW. Increased prevalence of transglutaminase 6 antibodies in sera from schizophrenia patients. Schizophr Bull 2013;39:867-71. PMID: 22516148
- Warren KR, Buchanan RW, Feldman S, Conley RR, Linthicum J, Ball MP, Liu F, McMahon RP, Gorelick DA, Huestis MA, Kelly DL. Effects of the cannabinoid-1 receptor antagonist/inverse agonist rimonabant on satiety signaling in overweight people with schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind pilot study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2013;33:118-20. PMID: 23277241.
- Okusaga O, Yolken RH, Langenberg P, Sleemi A, Kelly DL, Vaswani D, Giegling I, Hartmann AM, Konte B, Friedl M, Mohyuddin F, Groer MW, Rujescu D, Postolache TT. Elevated gliadin antibody levels in individuals with schizophrenia. World J Biol Psychiatry 2013;14:509-15. PMID: 23282016.
- Lee MR, Wehring HJ, McMahon RP, Linthicum J, Cascella N, Liu F, Bellack A, Buchanan RW, Strauss GP, Contoreggi C, Kelly DL. Effects of adjunctive intranasal oxytocin on olfactory identification and clinical symptoms in schizophrenia: Results from a randomized double blind placebo controlled pilot study. Schizophr Res. 2013;145:110-5. PMID: 23415472
- Koola MM, Qualls C, Kelly DL, Skelton K, Bradley B, Amar R, Duncan EJ. Prevalence of childhood physical and sexual abuse in veterans with psychiatric diagnoses. J Nerv Ment Dis 2013;201:348-52. PMID: 23538982
- Koola MM, Boggs DL, Kelly DL, Linthicum JA, Turner HE, McMahon RP, Gorelick DA. Relief of cannabis withdrawal symptoms and cannabis quitting strategies in people with schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res 2013;30:273-8. PMID: 23969281
- Kelly DL, Wehring HJ, Earl AK, Sullivan K, Dickerson FB, Feldman S, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW, Warfel D, Keller WR, Fischer BA, Shim JC. Treating symptomatic hyperprolactinemia in women with schizophrenia: presentation of the ongoing DAAMSEL clinical trial (Dopamine partial Agonist, Aripiprazole, for the Management of Symptomatic Elevated proactin). BMC Psychiatry 2013;13:214 PMID: 23968123.
- Gorelick DA, Goodwin RS, Schwilike E, Schoreder JR, Schwope DM, Kelly DL, Ortemann- Renon C, Bonnet D, Huestis MA. Around the clock oral THC effects on sleep in male chronic daily cannabis smokers. Am J Addict 2013;22:510-4. PMID: 23952899.
- Wehring HJ, Perez G, Dixon L, Kelly DL. Women and Drug and Alcohol Use Disorders: Compounding the Picture with Severe Mental Illness. Current Women’s Health Reviews 2013; 9(3):183-188.
- Ben-Yoav H, Winkler TE, Kim E, Chocron SE, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ghodssi R. Redox cycling- based amplifying electrochemical sensor for in situ clozapine antipsychotic treatment monitoring. Electrochimica Actra 2014;130:497-503.
- Koola MM, Gorelick DA, McMahon RP, Liu F, Huestis M, Linthicum J, Feldman S, Warren KR, Wehring HJ, Kelly DL. Psychiatric symptom differences in people with schizophrenia associated with substantial lifetime substance use but no current substance use disorder, Schizophr Res 2014; 152:315-316. PMID: 24333005.
- Warren KM, Postolache TT, Groer ME, Pinjari O, Kelly DL, Reynolds MA. Role of chronic stress and depression in periodontal diseases. Periodontol 2000 2014 Feb; 64(1):127-138. PMID: 24320960.
- Goldstein JI, Fredrik Jarskog L, Hilliard C, Alfirevic A, Duncan L, Fourches D, Huang H, Lek M, Neale BM, Ripke S, Shianna K, Szatkiewicz JP, Tropsha A, van den Oord EJ, Cascorbi I, Dettling M, Gazit E, Goff DC, Holden AL, Kelly DL, Malhotra AK, Nielsen J, Pirmohamed M, Rujescu D, Werge T, Levy DL, Josiassen RC, Kennedy JL, Lieberman JA, Daly MJ, Sullivan PF. Clozapine –induced agranulocytosis is associated with rare HLA-DQB1 and HLA alleles. Nat Commun 2014;5:4757. PMID: 25187353.
- Lee MR, Glassman M, King-Casas B, Kelly DL, Stein EA, Schroeder J, Salmeron BJ. Complexity of oxytocin’s effects in a chronic cocaine dependent population. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2014;9:1483-91. PMID: 25044050.
- Yu M, Hassan HE, Ibrahim A, Bauer KS, Kelly DL, Wang JB. Simultaneous determination of l-tetrahydroplamatine and cocaine in human plasma by simple UPLC-FLD method: Application to clinical studies. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2014;15:965-44. PMID: 24996068.
- Jackson J, Eaton W, Cascella N, Fasano A, Santora D, Sullivan K, Feldman S, Raley H, McMahon RP, Carpenter WT Jr, Demyanovich H, Kelly DL. Gluten Sensitivity and relationship to psychiatric symptoms in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2014;159:539-42. PMID: 25311778.
- Winkler T, Ben-Yoav H, Chocron S, Kim E, Kelly DL, Payne G, Ghodssi R. Electrochemical Study of the Catechol-modified Chitosan System for Clozapine Treatment Monitoring. Langmuir 2014;30:14686-93.
- Fischer BA, McMahon RP, Kelly DL, Wehring HJ, Meyer WA, Feldman S, Carpenter WT, Gorelick DA. Risk-taking in schizophrenia and controls with and without cannabis dependence. Schizophr Res 2015;161:471-7. PMID: 25467541.
- Evins AE, Hong LE, Kelly DL. T. Kishi and N. Iwata: Varenicline for smoking cessation in people with schizophrenia: systematic review meta-analysis. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2015;265:269-70. PMID: 25377170.
- Ben-Yoav H, Chocron SE, Winkler TE, Kim E, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ghodssi R. An electrochemical micro-system for clozapine antipsychotic treatment monitoring. 2015 May; (163):260-270.
- Buchanan RW, Weiner E, Kelly DL, Gold JM, Keller WR, Waltz JA, McMahon RP, Gorelick DA. Rasagiline in the treatment of persistant negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2015;41:900-8. PMID: 25368372.
- Chocron SE, Weisberger BM, Ben-Yoave H, Winkler TE, Kim E, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ghodssi R. Multi-deimensional mapping method using an arrayed sensing system for cross reactivity screening. PLoS One 2015;10:e0116310. PMID: 25789880.
- Eaton WW, Chen LY, Dohan FC Jr. Kelly DL, Cascella N. Improvement in psychotic symptoms after a gluten-free diet in a boy with complex autoimmune illness. Am J Psychiatry 2015;172:219-21. PMID: 25727533.
- Kim E, Chocron SE, Ben-Yoav H, Winkler TE, Liu Y, Glassman M, Wolfram C, Kelly DL, Ghodssi R, Payne GF. Programmable “semismart” sensor: relevance to monitoring antipsychotics. Adv Funct Mater, 2015;25:2156-2165.
- Kelly, DL, Sullivan KM, McEvoy JP, McMahon RP, Wehring HJ, Liu F, Warfel D, Vyas G, Richardson CM, Fischer BA, Keller WR, Koola MM, Feldman, SM, Russ JC, Keefe RS, Osing J, Hubzin L, August A, Walker TM, Buchanan RW. Adjunctive Minocycline in clozapine treated schizophrenia patients with persistent symptoms. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2015 Aug;35(4):374-81. doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000000345. PMID: 26082974
- Miller J, Wehring H, McMahon R, DiPaula B, Love R, Davies K, Morris AA, Raley H, Feldman S, Warfel D, Kelly DL. Urine testing for antipsychotics: a pilot trial for a method to determine detection levels. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2015 Sep;30(5):350-5. doi: 10.1002/hup.2482. Epub 2015 May 25. PMID: 26010339.
- Eaton WW, Chen LY, Dohan FC, Jr, Kelly DL, Cascella N. Response to Ell’Osso and Elli. Am J Psychiatry. 2015 Jul;172(7):686. PMID: 26130205
- Kelly DL*, Ben-Yoav H*, Payne GF, Winkler TE, Chocron SE, Kim E, Stock V, Yvas G, Love RC, Wehring HJ, Sullivan KM, Feldman SF, Liu F, McMahon RP, Ghodssi R. Blood draw barriers for treatment with clozapine and development of point-of-care monitoring device. Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Disorders, 2015 Jul 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26218235.
- Koola MM, Sullivan KM, Earl AK, Feldman SM, Richardson CM, Vyas GR, Wehring HJ, Kelly DL. Undiagnosed Lyme disease in adults with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2015 Oct;168(1-2):579-80. PMID: 26255567.
- Patchan KM, Richardson C, Vyas G, Kelly DL. The risk of suicide after clozapine discontinuation: cause for concern. Ann Clin Psychiatry, 2015 Nov; 27(4):253-256. PMID: 26554366.
- Kelly DL, Rowland LM, Patchan KM, Sullivan K, Earl A, Raley H, Liu F, Feldman S, McMahon RP. Schizophrenia clinical symptom differences in women vs men with and without a history of childhood physical abuse. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2016;10(5):doi: 10.1186/s13034-016-0092-9. PMID: 26941836
- Lee MR, Wehring HJ, McMahon RP, Liu F, Linthicum J, Verbalis JG, Buchanan RW, Strauss GP, Rubin LH, Kelly DL. Relationship of plasma oxytocin levels to baseline symptoms and symptom changes during three weeks of daily oxytocin administration in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2016;172(1-3):165-8. PMID: 26879587
- Okusaga, O, Fuchs, D, Reeves G, Giegling I, Hartmann AM, Konte B, Friedl M, Groer M, Stearns-Yoder KA, Pandey JP, Kelly DL, Hoisington AJ, Lowry CA, Eaton WW, Brenner LA, Rujescu D, Postolache TT. Kynurenine and trypophan levels in patients with schizophrenia and elevated anti-gliadin immunoglobulin G antibodies. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2016;78:931-939. PMID: 27359171
- Koola MM, Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Boggs DL, Liu F, Gorelick DA. Psychoactive substance use by adults with schizophrenia before and during cannabis withdrawal. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2016 Sep 1;18(5). PMID: 27835727
- Legge SE, Hamshere ML, Ripke S, Pardinas AF, Goldstein JI, Rees E, Riahcards AL, Leonenko G, Jarskog LF, Clozapine-Induced Agranulocytosis Consortium. Genome-wide common and rare variant analysis provides novel insights into clozapine-associated Neutropenia. Mol Psychiatry 2016 epub ahead of print PMID: 27400856
- Norman SM, Sullivan KM, Liu F, DiPaula BA, Jose PA, Kitchen CA, Feldman SM, Kelly DL. Blood pressure and heart rate changes during clozapine treatment. Psychiatr Q 2016, epub ahead of print. PMID: 27678498
- Richardson CM*, Davis EA,* Vyas GR, DiPaula BA, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Evaluation of the safety of clozapine use in patients with benign neutropenia. J Clin Psych 2016;77(11):e1454-e1459. PMID: 27736047.
- Koola MM, Kelly DL, McMahon RP, Boggs D, Liu F, Gorelick DA. Substance use by adults with schizophrenia before and during cannabis withdrawal. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2016;18(5). PMID: 27835727
- Kowalczyk WJ, Wehring HJ, Burton G, Raley H, Feldman S, Heishman SJ, Kelly DL. Predictors of the perception of cigarette health risks in smokers with and without schizophrenia. J of Dual Diagnosis. 2017 Jan-Mar;13(1)29-35. PMID: 27858591
- Kim E, Liu Y, Ben-Yoav H, Winkler TE, Yan K, Shi X, Shen J, Kelly DL, Ghodssi R, Bentley WE, Payne GF. Fusing sensor paradigms to acquire chemical information: an integrative role for smart biopolymeric hydrogels. Adv Healhcare Materials 2016;5:2595-2616. PMID: 27616350
- Fiorentino M, Sapone A, Senger S, Camhi SS, Kadzielski SM, Buie TM, Kelly DL, Cascella N, Fasano A. Blood-brain barrier and intestinal epithelial barrier alterations in autism spectrum disorders. Mol Autism 2016:7:49. PMID: 27957319
- Shovestul B, Glassman M, Rowland LM, McMahon RP, Liu F, Kelly DL. Pilot study examining the relationship of childhood trauma, perceived stress, and medication use to serum kynurenic acid and kynurenine levels in schizophrenia. Schiz Research. 2017;185:200-1. PMID: 28082139
- Hassan HE*, Kelly DL*, Honick M, Shukla S, Ibrahim A, Gorelick DA, Glassman M, McMahon RP, Wehring HJ, Kearns AM, Feldman S, Yu M, Bauer K, Wang JB. Pharmacokinetics and safety assessment of l-tetrahydropalmatine in cocaine users: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. J Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Feb;57(2): 151-160. PMID: 27363313.
- Xiang YQ, Zheng W, Wang SB, Yang XH, Cai DB, Ng CH, Ungvari GS, Kelly DL, Xu WY, Xiang YT. Adjunctive Minocycline for schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017;27:8-18. PMID: 27919523
- Kim E, Winkler TE, Kitchen C, Kang M, Banis GE, Bentley WE, Kelly DL, Ghodssi R, Payne GF. Redox probing for chemical information of oxidative stress. Anal Chem 2017;89:1583-92. PMID: 28035805
- Wehring HJ, Heishman SJ, McMahon RP, Liu F, Feldman S, Raley H, Weiner E, Kelly DL. Antipsychotic treatment and tobacco craving in people with schizophrenia. Journal of Dual Diagnosis. 2017;13:36-42 PMID: 28166471
- Cohen AS, Mitchell KR, Strauss GP, Blanchard JJ, Buchanan RW, Kelly DL, Gold J, McMahon RP, Adams HA, Carpenter WT. The effects of oxytocin and galantamine on obejectivity-defined vocal and facial expression: data from the CIDAR study. Schizophr Res 2017;188:141-143. PMID: 28130004
- Kang M, Kim E, Winkler TE, Banis G, Liu Y, Kitchen CA, Kelly DL, Ghodssi R, Payne GF. Reliable clinical serum analysis with reusable electrochemical sersor: Toward point-of-care measurement of the antipsychotic medication clozapine. Biosens Bioelectron. 2017 Apr 12;95:55-59. PMID: 28412661
- Winkler TE, Lederer SL, Kim E, Ben-Yoav H, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ghosssi R. Molecular processes in an electrochemical clozapine sensor. Biointerphases. June 2017;12(2):02B401.
- Winkler TE, Dietrich R, Kim E, Ben-Yoav H, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ghodssi R.The interplay of electrode- and bio-materials in a redox-cycling-based clozapine sensor. Electrochemistry Communications. Electrochemistry Communications. 2017 June (79):33-36. PMID: 28460529
- Buchanan RW, Kelly DL, Weiner E, Gold JM, Strauss GP, Koola MM, McMahon RP, Carpenter WT. A randomized clinical trial of oxytocin or galantamine for the treatment of negative symptoms and cognitive impairments in people with schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacology 2017;37:394-400 PMID: 28590362
- Patchan K, Vyas G, Hackman AL, Mackowick M, Richardson CM, Love RC, Wonodi I, Sayer MA, Glassman M, Feldman S, Kelly DL. Clozapien in reducing aggression and violence in forensic populations. Psych Quarterly 2017. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 28643049
- Wehring HJ, Elsobky T, McEvoy JP, Vyas G, Richardson CM, McMahon RP, DiPaula BA, Liu F, Sullivan K, Buchanan RW, Feldman S, McMahon RP, Kelly DL. Adjunctive minocycline in clozapine-treated patients with schizophrenia: analyzing the effects of minocycline on clozapine plasma levels. Psych Quarterly 2017; epub ahead of print. PMID: 28466366
- Cihakova D, Eaton WW, Talor MV, Harkus UH, Demyanovich H, Rodriguez K, Feldman S, Kelly DL. Gliadin-related antibodies in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 2017, epub ahead of print PMID: 28886891
- Banis GE, Winkler TE, Barton P, Chocron SE, Kim E, Kelly DL, Payne GF, Ben-Yoav H, Ghodssi R. The binding effects of proteins on medications and its impact on electrochemical sensing: antipsychotic clozapine as a case study. Pharmaceuticals. 2017;10: pii: E69. doi: 10.3390/ph10030069. PMID: 28763030
- Kang M, Kim E, Winkler TE, Banis G, Liu F, Kitchen C, Kelly DL, Ghodssi R, Payne GF. Electrodeposited graphene-chitosan composite film for therapeutic drug monitoring. Biosens Bioelectron. 2017;95:55-59 PMID 28412662.
- Rowland LM, Demyanovich HA, Witjenberg SA, Eaton WW, Rodriguez K, Gaston F, Cihakova D, Talor MV, Liu F, McMahon RP, Hong LE, Kelly DL. Antigliadin Antibodies (AGA IgG) Are Related to Neurochemistry in Schizophrenia. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2017:8:104 PMID 28674804
- Temocin Z, Kim E, Li J, Panzella L, Alfierei ML, Japolitano A, Kelly DL, Bently WE, Payne GF. The analgesic acetaminophen and antipsychotic clozapine can each redox-cycle with melanin. ACS Chem Neuroscien 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 28945963
- Kelly DL, Freudenreich O, Sayer MA, Love RC. Addressing barriers to clozapine underutilization: a national effort. Psychiatr Serv 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 29032704.
- Rubin LH, Wehring HJ, Demyanovich H, Carter S, Pournajafi-Nazarloo H, Feldmand SM, Earl AK, August S, Gold JM, Kelly DL. Peripheral oxytocin and vasopressin are associated with clinical symptom severity and cognitive functioning in midlife women and chronic schizophrenia. Schizophr re 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 289657765
- Liu Y, Li J, Tschirhart T, Terrell JL, Kim E, Tsao CY, Kelly DL, Bentley WE, Payne GF. Connecting biology to electronics: molecular communication via redoz modality. Adv Healthc Mater 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 29045017
- Kelly DL, Demyanovich HK, Eaton W, Cascella N, Jackson J, Fasano A, Carpenter WT. Antigliadin antibodies (AGA IgG) related to peripheral inflammation in schizophrenia. Brain Behav Immun 2017, epub ahead of print. PMID 29074356
Dr. Kelly has been involved in numerous clinical trials for the treatment for schizophrenia and has been active in psychopharmacology research for the past 20 years. She has evaluated many novel medications and strategies in schizophrenia, most recently completing clinical trials with adjunctive minocycline, an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties and a clinical trial, the DAAMSEL trial, testing adjunct aripiprazole vs. placebo in premenopausal women with symptomatic hyperprolactinemia. She just received funding for a confirmatory study to study a gluten free diet in patients who are positive for antigliadin antibodies, a possible biomarker for efficacy in this subpopulation. She also is studying the safety of clozapine in Benign Ethnic Neutropenia as well as a handful of other clinical trials.
Dr. Kelly has been a proponent for more widespread use and currently is working on understanding barriers to current use, develop monitoring devices and study ways to better deliver treatment. She has a history in studying side effects and efficacy in numerous clinical studies with clozapine.
Honors and Awards
1998 NIMH New Investigator’s Award, awarded at the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) meeting
1999 Future Leaders in Psychiatry Award Selection, EmoryUniversity and Janssen Pharmaceutica
2001 Young Investigator Award, International Congress of Schizophrenia Research
2008 “Heroes in the Fight” Team Award awarded to the Treatment Research Program by NAMI, 12 other organizations and Eli Lilly
2008 MM&M Award, Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychosis awarded for Best New Business Healthcare Publication; serve as founding Associate Editor
2010 Best Medical Book Award, American Writers Association awarded for Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, 2nd Edition. Authored Schizophrenia Chapter
2015 Best Poster Award, Mid-Atlantic Micro-Nano Alliance Spring Workshop, 2015, Thomas Winkler, lead author and presenter
2015 Honorable Mention Poster Award, Psychiatry Research Day, Spring 2015, Erica Davis, lead author and presenter.
2016 President-Elect, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists
2016 Professor with Tenure, University of Maryland School of Medicine
2017 President, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists
2017 Maltz Prize for Innovative & Promising Schizophrenia Research, Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
8/1/2017-7/31/22 Deanna Kelly (PI: 20%)
“Confirmatory Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Efficacy Trial of Gluten-Free Diet in a Subgroup of Persons with Schizophrenia Who Have High Levels of IgG Anti- Gliadin Antibodies”
NIMH # 1R01 MH113617-01
6/2017-5/31/2019 Ben-Yoav, Hadar PI; Kelly, Deanna L.: Role – Mentor, No Salary Support
Real-Time Monitoring of Clozapine Levels in Capillary Blood
Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (NARSAD Grant # 74804)
Total Costs: 70,000
7/1/12-6/30/18 Deanna Kelly (Co-investigator 16%) PI: Raymond C. Love
State of Maryland Medicaid Contract, Antipsychotic Utilization Review
04/15/13 – 03/31/18 Deanna Kelly (Mentor-no salary support) Heidi Wehring (PI)
“Tobacco Craving in Smokers with Schizophrenia”
NIDA 1K23 DA034034-01A1
04/01/14 – 03/31/18 Kelly, Deanna (1%) (PI)
“Treatment of Schizophrenia with ltetrahydropalmatine (l-THP): a Novel Dopamine Antagonist with Anti-Inflammatory and Antiprotozoal Activity”
Stanley Medical Research Institute (SMRI), Grant# 13-007
04/01/14 – 03/31/19 Deanna Kelly (15%) (Co-Investigator, Project 4) Robert Schwarcz (PI) “Kynurenic Acid and Cognitive Abnormalities in Schizophrenia”
Silvio O. Conte Centers for Basic or Translational
NIMH P50 MH103222
01/01/15 – 12/31/17 Kelly, Deanna, (PI, 15%); Ghodssi, Reza (Co-PI)
“Microsystem Development for Clozapine Monitoring in Schizophrenia”
NIMH R56 Bridge Award to R01 MH105571-01
04/01/15 – 03/31/19 Kelly, Deanna (PI, 18%)
“Biomarker and Safety Study of Clozapine in Benign Ethnic Neutropenia”
NIMH R01 MH102215
2016-2018 Kelly, Deanna; Resnik, Phillip (Co-PIs), UMCP/UMB Innovation Seed Grant,
“Development of Computational Modeling to Identify Symptom Changes in Schizophrenia and Depression”
04/01/14 – 03/31/19 Kelly, Deanna (Co-Investigator, Project 2) Robert Schwarcz (PI) “Kynurenic Acid and Cognitive Abnormalities in Schizophrenia”
Silvio O. Conte Centers for Basic or Translational
NIMH P50 MH103222
12/15/16-11/30/19 Himelhoch, Seth (PI) Role: Co-Investigator 10%
“Optimizing Smoking Cessation Treatments in Smokers Living with HIV/AIDS”
NIMH #: 1R01HL136253-01
7/1/2017 – 6/30/2021 Carpenter, William; Rowland, Laura (MPIs) Role: Mentor 1% (no salary support) Multidisciplinary Schizophrenia Research Training (T32)
NIH #: 5 T32 MH067533-12
4/2017 – 3/2018 Kelly, Deanna (PI) 7%
A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Adjunctive Pimavanserin for the Treatment of Schizophrenia ACP-103-034
1997-2004 Deanna Kelly (Co-investigator: 20%) PI: R. Conley
“New Antipsychotic Strategies: Quetiapine And Risperidone Vs. Fluphenazine In Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia”
1998-2000 Deanna Kelly (Co-principal investigator: 15%) PI: R. Conley
“Determining The Effectiveness Of Novel Antipsychotic Agents”.
Stanley Medical Research Institute
1999-2001 Deanna Kelly (PI: 20%)
“Sexual Function and Prolactin Levels With Atypical Antipsychotics”
Stanley Medical Research Institute.
1999-2000 Deanna Kelly (PI: 5%)
“Clinical And Laboratory Parameters Associated With Weight Gain With Atypical Antipsychotic Treatment”
NIMH Intervention Research Center (IRC) pilot grant
2000-2001 Deanna Kelly (PI: 20%)
“An Evaluation of Clozapine Discontinuation In The Public Mental Health System In Maryland” UMB DRIF Award
2001-2004 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator: 10%) PI: Matthew Nelson
“Atomoxetine as an Adjunct to Novel Antipsychotic Medications in the Treatment of Cognitive Deficits of Schizophrenia”
Stanley Medical Research Institute (01T-78)
2003-2005 Deanna Kelly (PI: 30%)
“Cardiac-Related Mortality with Atypical Antipsychotics”
NIMH (R03 MH069871-02)
2003-2008 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator: 15%) PI: W. Carpenter
“Advanced Center for Intervention and Services Research (ACISR)”
NIMH (P50 MH40279)
2003-2004 Deanna Kelly (PI: 5%)
“Adjunctive Divalproex To Clozapine In Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia”
2004-2005 Deanna Kelly (PI: 5%)
“The Utilization And Dosing Of Quetiapine In A Public Mental Health System”
2004-2005 Deanna Kelly (PI: 10%)
“Racial Differences in Clinical Variables, Treatment and Response to Clozapine in Clinical Trials vs. Real-World Treatment Settings”
NIMH P60 grant pilot project
2005-2012 Deanna Kelly (PI: 30%)
Residential Research Support Services
2006-2009 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator: 15%) PI: R. Buchanan
“The Effects of the Cannabinoid-1 Receptor Antagonist, Rimonabant on Weight and Metabolic Risk Factors in People with Schizophrenia”
NIMH 1 R34 MH077839
2006-2008 Deanna Kelly (Coinvestigator no effort) PI: J.C. Shim
“Varenicline for Neurocognition in Schizophrenia”
Stanley Medical Research Institute
2006-2010 Deanna Kelly (Co-PI: 10%) PI: R. Buchanan
“Rasagiline in the treatment of persistent negative symptoms in schizophrenia”
Stanley Medical Research Institute (05T-705) with a 1 year extension
2007-2009 Deanna Kelly (PI: 25%)
“Comorbid Substance Abuse & Long-Term Health Outcomes in Schizophrenia”
NIMH R03 MH076985
2007-2009 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator: 3%) PI: J. Kreyenbuhl
“Schizophrenia PORT Treatment Recommendations Update 2008”
NIMH R13 MH080593
2007-2008 Deanna Kelly (Site Investigator: 1%) PI: Anil Malhotra
“Agranulocytosis Associated Clozapine”
Feinstein Institute Subaward from National Institutes of Health (NIH)
2008-2013 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator: 15%) PI: W. Carpenter
“Center for Intervention Development and Applied Research (CIDAR).
Oxytocin And Galantamine For Negative Symptoms And Cognition In Schizophrenia”
NIMH P50 MH082999
2010-2012 Deanna Kelly (Site PI: 1%) PI: Jeffrey Lieberman
“Clozapine Incuded Agranulocytosis Consortium (CIAC)”
Subaward on NIMH funded multisite study
2011-2013 Deanna Kelly (Co-PI/mentor: 1%) PI: K. Warren
“Effects of Intranasal Oxytocin on Satiety Signaling in People with
NARSAD Young Investigator Award (Grant #17699)
2011-2014 Deanna Kelly (PI: 15%)
“Adjunctive Minocycline in Clozapine Treatment Patients for Psychosis and
2012-2014 Deanna Kelly (Mentor – no salary support) Julie Markham (PI)
Early Life Stress and Schizophrenia-Associated Phenotypes in Animal Models”
Brain & Behavior Research Foundation’s NARSAD Young Investigator Award
2013 – 2014 Deanna Kelly (PI) (Multiple PI with Reza Ghodssi of UMCP)
“Biosensor Device for Clozapine Treatment Monitoring in Schizophrenia”
TEDCO Maryland Innovation Initiative Phase I
2004-2017 Carpenter, William; Rowland, Laura (MPIs) Role: Mentor 1% (no salary support) Multidisciplinary Schizophrenia Research Training (T32)
NIH #: 5 T32 MH067533-12
2014 – 2015 Deanna Kelly (Mentor – no salary support) Kate Nugent (PI)
“Sex-Specific Outcomes after First Episode Psychosis: Relationship to Psychological versus Social Stress Response”
Brain & Behavior Research Foundation’s NARSAD Young Investigator Award
2010-2015 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator and Site PI for trial: 2%) PI: J.B. Wang
“Development of I-THP as New Medication for Drug Addiction (DP1)”
NIDA X02 1DP1DA031401
2011-2016 Deanna Kelly (PI: 8%)
“Adjunct Aripiprazole for Symptomatic Hyperprolactinemia in Female
07/01/13 – 6/30/16 Deanna Kelly (Co-Investigator 2%) Buchanan, Robert (PI)
“Oxytocin and Social Skills/Cognitive Behavioral Training in Schizophrenia”
NIMH 1R34MH100362-01 0.60 calendar months
09/01/15 - 08/31/16 Kelly, Deanna (Co-Investigator: 10%) Himelhoch, Seth (PI)
Optimizing Smoking Cessation Treatments in Smokers Living with HIV/AIDS
12/01/14 - 11/30/16 Kelly, Deanna, (Co-Investigator, 1%); Hahn, Britta (PI)
“Effects of Nicotine on Dependence-Related Associative Learning Processes” NIDA 1R03 DA037509-01A1
2016-2017 Buchanan, Robert (PI) Role: (Co-Investigator)
Chair’s Research Seed Funding Award,
6/01/12-11/30/16 Kelly, Deanna (Co-Investigator: 1%) Buchanan, Robert (PI)
Anti-Inflammatory Combination Therapy for the Treatment of Schizophrenia
The Stanley Medical Research Institute Grant # 11T-002
07/01/13 – 06/30/17 Deanna Kelly (PI 5%) (Multiple PI with William Eaton of JHU)
“Development for RCT of Gluten Free Diet in Gliadin-Positive Schizophrenia”
NIH 1R34MH100776-01 (Subaward with JHU)
03/24/16 Kelly, Deanna (PI)
Supplemental Funding from SMRI Grant #13-007 for entering harmonized and standardized data into the National Database for Clinical Trials related to mental illness (NDCT)
07/02/16-06/30/17 Kelly, Deanna (PI)
“Biomarker and Safety Study of Clozapine in Benign Ethnic Neutropenia”
4/2016- 3/2017 Kelly, Deanna (PI) 1%
A Phase O Study to Assess Prolactin and Testosterone Levels and Associated Symptoms in Subjects with Schizophrenia
Media Links and Interviews
1. Kelly DL, Conley RR, Love RC. The emerging dilemma: affordable quality care for schizophrenia. Use of new antipsychotics. Medicaid Update 2002;17(2),
2. McCausland C. Real world training for the next generation: residents. Capsule: University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Magazine. Summer 2010.
3. Warren KW, Kelly DL. Brief Psychotic Disorder. British Medical Journal Online 2011-present. https://online.epocrates.com/u/29111118/Brief+psychotic+disorder.
4. Worchester S. Oxytocin May Aid Schizophrenia Patients. Clinical Psychiatry News 2012; 40(8), www.clinicalpsychiatrynews.com.
5. Arehart-Treichel J. Will Antibiotic Fulfull Its Psychosis-Fighting Promise? Psychiatric News 2012; 47(15), www.pschnews.org
6. Arehart-Treichel J. Metformin May Help Combat Antipsychotic-Induced Weight Gain. Psychiatry Online Clinical and Research News 2014;
7. University of Maryland Department of Psychiatry Video at the American Psychiatric Association Meeting 2014 https://vimeo.com/93338481.
8. Velasquez-Manoff M. Can Celiac Disease Affect the Brain? New York Times October 11, 1014. http://nyti.ms/1srryi3
9. Moran M. Clozapine Monotherapy More Cost-Effective than Antipsychotic Polypharmacy, Study Shows. Psychiatric News October 28, 2014
10. Moran M. Why won’t clinicians use clozapine despite proven superiority? Psychiatric News 2015;50(17), www.psychnews.org.
11. Harrison P. Oxytocin Shows no Effect in Schizophrenia. Medscape Multispeciality Medical News. September 2, 2015 http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/850411
12. Science Daily. January 18, 2017. Changes in blood-brain barrier, intestinal permeability found in individuals with autism.
13. Phys Org. February 9, 2017. Technique to measure oxidative stress in blood samples offers potential aid in schizophrenia diagnosis. https://phys.org/news/2017-02-technique-
14. University of Maryland News. UMD Researchers Make Strides in Schizophrenia Diagnosis Research. http://eng.umd.edu/news/story/umd-researchers-make-strides-in-schizophrenia-
15. Moran M. Aripiprazole may reduce some side effects of antipsychotics in women. Psychiatric News. April 21, 2017. http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.pn.2017.pp4b2
16. Psychiatric News Alert. White paper offers recommendations for expanding clozapine use. http://alert.psychnews.org/2017/04/white-paper-offers-recommendations-for.html
2003-2011 Schizophrenia Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT)
Monthly literature searches and database entry, assisted with grant writing, assisted with thought leader meeting, wrote 5 recommendations, assisted with manuscript
2004-2008 University of Maryland Mental Health Disparities Steering Committee
Committee member representing MPRC, wrote 2 pilot grants and authored two publications, organized disparities speakers and symposia, assisted in other projects, education and outreach
2006-present T32 MPRC Fellowship Committee
Review and interview fellowship candidates, meet regularly to review progress, assist with grant writing and fellowship program
2007-present Chair, Junior Faculty Mentoring Committee
Developed formal mentoring program and documents including program description, roadmap, mentorship materials, organize annual mentorship meetings and Department of Psychiatry mentorship programmed modeled after this program
2008-2009 Acting Chief and Director of the Treatment Research Program, (MPRC), UMSOM
2008-present Vice Chair, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Institutional Review Board. Participate in monthly IRB reviews and meetings and function as Chair in her absence.
2008 Successfully negotiated a smoking exemption and associated policies and procedures with Spring Grove Hospital to permit smoking in designated areas of MPRC for continued studies in dual diagnosis research
2008-2012 PI/PO NIDA Research Contract Committee Chair
Developed and maintained infrastructure and oversight of multimillion dollar contract. Committee meets twice monthly to discuss protocol progress, regulatory issues, budgets and personnel on 30 protocols
2009-present Chief and Director of the Treatment Research Program, MPRC, UMSOM. Administratively coordinate inpatient research program with approximately 13 research staff and 9 clinical staff.
2009-present Successfully initiated and negotiated the MOU, approval and opening of the
Brief Stay Unit, a unit at MPRC dedicated to short overnight stays for clinical
2009 Department of Psychiatry 60th Anniversary Gala Committee
MPRC liaison monthly meetings for 6 months
2009-present Administratively direct the Treatment Research Program. This program consists of a 24 bed inpatient program, 13 clinical staff and 12 research staff
2010-present Co-Direct the Antipsychotic Pharmacy Review Program for the State of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Medicaid pharmacy program.
2010-2012 UMSOM Multidisciplinary Advisory Committee (MAC) for K12 Training Awards. Monthly meeting to discuss and review awardees in the SOM
2010 Successfully negotiated a MOU between the University of Maryland IRB and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene IRB for reliance on protocols
2011 Organizer of 2011 speakers for series entitled, “Biological Psychiatry of Immune and Inflammatory Mechanisms of Schizophrenia.” Organized and invited outside speakers for the series.
2011-present Director, Brief Stay Unit, MPRC, UMSOM. Developed and direct 3 bedroom short stay unit for early phase studies.
2011-present UMB Department of Psychiatry Appointment, Promotions and Tenure (APT) Committee
2012-present Administrative support including infrastructure, space and allocate personnel to the Maryland Peer to Peer Antipsychotic Review Project. Oversee space and infrastructure issues related to the pharmacy department of 6 clinical pharmacists.
2012-present Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH) Internal Advisory Committee member, UMB
2013-2016 Videoconferencing committee, Department of Psychiatry
2013-present Coordinator, Psychiatry Resident Electives at MPRC
2013-present Silvio O. Conte Summer Scholar Selection and Review Committee
2015-present Maryland Brain Collection Steering Committee
2016-present Full faculty member to UMSOM council
National and International Service
2002 NIMH Pharmacoeconomics Advisory Board
2004-2006 Treasurer and Board of Directors, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic
2004-2009 Department of VA Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences Review
Committee for National VA merit grants
2004 Elected Treasurer and Board Member in the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP)
2005 Canadian Institutes of Health Research grant reviewer
2005-2008 Member, Membership Committee, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic
2005-2008 Member, Finance Committee, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic
2005-2008 Member, Web Task Force, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic
2005-present Editorial Board Member, Schizophrenia Bulletin
2006 Health Care Efficiency Research Programme (Netherlands) grant reviewer
2006 Thrasher Research Fund grant reviewer
2006 Textbook reviewer for Burger’s Sixth Edition Medicinal Chemistry and Drug
2006-2009 Member, Communications Committee, College of Psychiatric and
Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP)
2007 Member, Awards Committee, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic
2007 Mission trip to Ecuador, developed library at Spanish speaking school
2011-2017 Program Committee, CPNP
2011-2015 Grant Reviewer, United Kingdom, National Institute for the Health Research and Policy Research Programme
2011-2013 NIH Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group ZRG1 EMNR-R (55)
2012-2013 NIDA IRP Independent Monitoring Board
2013 NIH workshop (NIMH, NIDA, NCI) for Smoking Cessation in Schizophrenia
2013-2014 Program Chair, CPNP Annual Meeting, 2014
2013-2017 Data Safety Monitoring Board, NIH, Intramural Research Program
2016-present Government Affairs committee, CPNP
2016-present National Association of State Mental Health Programs Director (NASMHPD) clozapine white paper task force
2016-presnet Food and Drug Association (FDA) network of experts
2017 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) taskforce for Behavioral Health Pharmacist integration in Psychiatry
2017 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) taskforce for Clozapine Centers of Excellence
1996-present Volunteer, Treatment Research Program/Spring Grove Hospital Talent Show and Family Events
2005-present Maryland NAMI fundraisers, walks, charity events
2005-present Volunteer, CentralYorkSchool District
2006-present Community Service projects through LivingWordCommunityChurch
2008-present Participant and mentor in the Atholton High School Gifted program
2008-2012 Volunteer, SpringGroveHospital 5K event
2011-2013 Board Member, Typical Life Corporation, Inc.
2015-present State of Maryland Behavioral Health Administration Clozapine Task Force
Journal Editor and Review
1998-present American Journal of Psychiatry (2x/yr), BioMed Central (BMC) Psychiatry (6x/yr), CNS Drugs (1x/yr), Journal of Clinical Psychiatry (4x/yr), Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology (1-2x/yr), Journal of Psychiatric Research (1- 2x/yr), Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease (1x/yr), Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry (1-2x/yr), Psychiatric Services (3x/yr), Psychiatry Research (3x/yr), Schizophrenia Research (4x/yr), Schizophrenia Bulletin (4-5x/yr)
1999-2000 Journal of Post Graduate Medicine, Israeli Journal of Psychiatry, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology
2000-2002 Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, Journal of Pediatric Nephrology, European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience
2003-2004 Advances in Schizophrenia and Clinical Psychiatry, Archives of Medical Research, Expert Review Neurotherapeutics, Journal of Sexual Medicine
2005-2006 Disease Management and Health Outcomes, Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, European Psychiatry
2007-2008 Pharmacopsychiatry, Women & Health
2009 Journal of Psychopharmacology, Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association
2010 Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Psychoneuroendocrinology, Archives of General Psychiatry
2016 Journal of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology
2006-present Associate Editor, Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychosis (40 per year)
2006-present Editorial Board Member, Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychosis
2008-present Associate Guest Editor, Schizophrenia Bulletin (5 per year)
2009-present Associate Editor, BMC-Psychiatry (6 per year)
2011-present Editorial Board Member, Current Psychopharmacology (2 per year)
The Maltz Prize for Innovative & Promising Schizophrenia Research was awarded to Deanna L. Kelly, Pharm.D., BCPP at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.