110 S. Paca St. (Paca-Pratt) 7th floor
Education and Training
Dr. Gaskin earned his undergraduate degree and medical degree at the University of West Indies in Jamaica. Dr. Gaskin completed his pediatric residency at Queen Elizabeth Hospital and The Brooklyn Hospital Center, where he also served as the chief resident. Dr. Gaskin completed his pediatric cardiology fellowship and interventional catheterization fellowship at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina.
Peter Gaskin M.B.B.S., D.C.H., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.C. is assistant professor of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Gaskin is a pediatric cardiologist who specializes in Children’s Heart Program at the University of Maryland Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Gaskin is certified in general pediatrics and pediatric cardiology with the American Board of Pediatrics. Dr. Gaskin also serves as a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Cardiology and the Association of Black Cardiologists.
Dr. Gaskin has been appointed IRB Vice-Chair
Dr. Gaskin specializes in general cardiology, interventional cardiology, hypercholesterolemia, education and pulmonary hypertension.
Binka EK, Lewin LO, Gaskin PR. Small Steps in Impacting Clinical Auscultation
of Medical Students. Glob Pediatr Health. 2016 Sep 15;3:2333794X16669013. doi:
10.1177/2333794X16669013. PubMed PMID: 27689103; PubMed Central PMCID:
Binka E, Mendley S, Gaskin P, Himes C, Jinadu L, Baker-Smith CM. Description
of Antihypertensive Medication Use in a Pediatric Practice: Single and Multiple
Antihypertensive Medication Therapy. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2016 Aug 2.
doi: 10.1111/jch.12879. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27481566.
Turan S, Turan OM, Maisel P, Gaskin P, Harman CR, Baschat AA.
Three-dimensional sonography in the prenatal diagnosis of aortic arch
abnormalities. J Clin Ultrasound. 2009 Jun;37(5):253-7. doi: 10.1002/jcu.20559.
PubMed PMID: 19253354.
Ho D, Xiao Y, Sen A, Cardarelli MG, Salim MA, Gaskin P, Straumanis JP, Vaidya
V, Tumulty J, Simone S, Hu P, Seebode S, Kelemen MD. Development of an
observational tool on computer use during rounds. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov
6:971. PubMed PMID: 18999212.
Bushuev VI, Miasnikova GY, Sergueeva AI, Polyakova LA, Okhotin D, Gaskin PR,
Debebe Z, Nekhai S, Castro OL, Prchal JT, Gordeuk VR. Endothelin-1, vascular
endothelial growth factor and systolic pulmonary artery pressure in patients with
Chuvash polycythemia. Haematologica. 2006 Jun;91(6):744-9. PubMed PMID: 16769575.
Lock EA, Gaskin P, Ellis M, Provan WM, Smith LL. Tyrosinemia produced by
2-(2-nitro-4-trifluoromethylbenzoyl)-cyclohexane-1,3-dione (NTBC) in experimental
animals and its relationship to corneal injury. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2006 Aug
15;215(1):9-16. PubMed PMID: 16580702.
Erb TO, Craig DM, Gaskin PM, Cheifetz IM, Resai Bengur A, Sanders SP. Preload
recruitable stroke work relationship in the right ventricle: simultaneous
assessment using conductance catheter and sonomicrometry. Crit Care Med. 2002
Nov;30(11):2535-41. PubMed PMID: 12441766.
- Children's Miracle Network - 1997 (and further funding in 2000): Cardiovascular Effects of Modified Ultrafiltration in Congenital Heart Disease. Served as PI.
- Children's Miracle Network 1999. Effects of Microgravity on Cardiac Protein Isoform Expression. Served as co-investigator.
- Fund for Academic Excellence, Howard University, 2004. Improving Auscultation Skills in College of Medicine Students. Served as PI.
- DC-Baltimore Research Center on Child Health Disparities Research Supplement, 2004. Department of Pediatrics & Child Health, College of Medicine, Howard University. Community Obesity Pilot Project, Served as PI.
- Aetna Foundation Grant to fund the B-FINE, (Baltimore Fitness In Nutrition and Exercise) obesity project, of the University of Maryland Children’s Hospital, Division of Pediatric Cardiology. Serving as PI $25000. 5/1/2012-4/30/2013. 5% percentage effort