Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
22 S. Greene St Suite S3AX-19
Education and Training
1995 B.S. Biology, University of Miami
1997 M.D. University of Miami
Post Graduate Education and Training\
1997-2001 Internship-Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University School of Medicine/Detroit Medical Center
2001-2005 Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Dr. Gautam G. Rao is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Gynecologic Oncologist/Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
He received his B.S. and M.D. degrees from the University of Miami. He completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan and fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Rao has received numerous awards including the Honors Program in Medical Education at the University of Miami. He is a member of several national societies including the American Medical Association, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, and American Association of Cancer Research. He has authored many publications and book chapters in the field of gynecologic oncology.
His research interests include clinical trials for the treatment of gynecologic malignancies and prevention of chemotherapy related complications. He also has a special interest in ovarian low malignant potential tumors.
Ovarian cancer Ovarian low malignant potential tumors Cyclooxygenase pathway
1. Rao GG,Skinner E, Gehrig PA, Duska LR, Coleman RL, Schorge JO. Surgical staging of ovarian low malignant potential tumors. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Aug;104(2):261-266.
2. Rao GG,Rogers P, Drake RD, Nguyen P, Coleman RL. Phase I clinical trial of weekly paclitaxel, weekly carboplatin, and concurrent radiotherapy for primary cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2005 Jan;96(1):168-172.
3. Rao GG, Skinner EN, Gehrig PA, Duska LR, Miller DS, Schorge JO. Fertility-sparing surgery for ovarian low malignant potential tumors. Gynecol Oncol. 2005 Aug;98(2):263-266.
4. Kanter EM, Vargis E, Majumder S, Keller MD, Woeste E, Rao GG, Mahadevan-Jansen, A. Application of Raman spectroscopy for cervical dysplasia diagnosis. J Biophoton. 2009 Feb;2(1-2):81-90.
5. Wahl AO, Gaffney DK, Jhingran A, Yashar CY, Biagioli M, Elshaikh MA, Jolly S, Kidd E, Lee LJ, Li L, Moore DH, Rao GG, Williams NL, Small W. ACR appropriateness criteria adjuvant management of early-stage endometrial cancer. Oncol. 2016 Sep:30(9):816-822.
1. Rao GG, Ashfaq R, Schorge JO. Transitional cell ovarian carcinoma in a BRCA1 mutation carrier. Obstet Gynecol. 2002 May;99(5 Pt 2):944-946.
2. Lavie I, Rao GG, Castrillon DH, Miller DS, Schorge JO. Duration of human chorionic gonadotropin surveillance for partial hydatidiform moles. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005 May;192(5):1362-1364.
3. Rao GG, Kurien A, Gossett D, Griffith WF, Coleman RL, Muller CY. A case-control study of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms in cervical carcinogenesis. Gynecol Oncol. 2006 May;101(2):250-254.
4. Drake RD, Rao GG, McIntire DD, Miller DS, Schorge JO. Gestational trophoblastic disease among Hispanic women: A 21-year hospital-based study. Gynecol Oncol. 2006 Oct;103(1):81-86.
5. Gaffney DK, Erickson-Wittman BA, Jhingran A, Mayr NA, Puthwala AA, Moore D, Rao GG, Small W, Varia MA, Wolfson AH, Yashar CM, Yuh W, Cardenes HR. ACR appropriateness criteria on advanced cervical cancer expert panel on radiation oncology – gynecology. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys. 2011 Nov:81(3):609-614.
6. Vargis E, Kanter EM, Majumder SK, Keller MD, Beaven RB, Rao GG, Mahadevan-Jansen A. Effect of normal variations on disease classification of Raman spectra from cervical tissue. Analyst. 2011 Jul:136(14):2981-2987.
7. Wolfson AH, Varia MA, Moore D, Rao GG, Gaffney DK, Erickson-Wittmann BA, Jhingran A, Mayr NA, Puthawala AA, Small W Jr, Yashar CM, Yuh W, Cardenes HR. ACR appropriateness criteria role of adjuvant therapy in the management of early stage cervical cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Apr:125(1):256-262.
8. Siegel CL, Andreotti RF, Cardenes HR, Brown DL, Gaffney DK, Horowitz NS, Javitt MC, Lee SI, Mitchell DG, Moore DH, Rao GG, Royal HD, Small W Jr, Varia MA, Yashar CM. ACR appropriateness criteria pretreatment planning of invasive cancer of the cervix. J Am Coll Radiol. 2012 Jun:9(6):395-402.
9. Small W Jr, Strauss JB, Jhingran A, Yashar CM, Cardenes HR, Erickson-Wittman BA, Gullett N, Kidd E, Lee LJ, Mayr NA, Moore D, Puthawala AA, Rao GG, Varia MA, Wahl AO, Wolfson AH, Yuh W, Gaffney DK. ACR appropriateness criteria definitive therapy for early-stage cervical cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2012 Aug:35(4):399-405.
10. Kidd E, Moore D, Varia MA, Gaffney DK, Elshaikh MA, Erickson B, Jhingran A, Lee LJ, Mayr NA, Puthwala AA, Rao GG, Small W, Wahl AO, Wolfson AH, Yashar CM, Yuh W, Cardenes HR. ACR appropriateness criteria management of locoregionally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Aug:36(4):415-422.
11. Lee LJ, Jhingran A, Kidd E, Cardenes H, Elshaikh M, Erickson B, Mayr NA, Moore D, Puthwala AA, Rao GG, Small W, Varia MA, Wahl AO, Wolfson AH, Yashar CM, Yuh W, Gaffney D. ACR appropriateness criteria management of vaginal cancer. Oncol - NY. 2013 Nov:27(11):1166-1173.
12. Elshaikh MA,Yashar CM,Wolfson AH, Cardenes HR, Erickson B, Jhingran A, Jolly S, Kidd E, Lee LJ, Mayr NA, Moore D, Rao GG, Small W, Mahesh A. Varia MA, Wahl AO, Yuh W, Gaffney DK. ACR appropriateness criteria advanced stage endometrial cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2014 Aug:37(4):391-396.
13. Jolly S, Soni P, Gaffney DK, Biagioli M, Elshaikh MA, Jhingran A, Kidd E, Lee LJ, Li L, Moore DH, Rao GG, Wahl AO, Williams NL, Yashar CM, Small W. ACR appropriateness criteria adjuvant therapy in vulvar cancer. Oncol. 2015 Nov:29(11):867-875.
14. Elshaikh MA, Vance S, Gaffney DK, Biagioli M, Jhingran A, Jolly S, Kidd E, Lee LL, Li L, Moore DM, Rao GG, Wahl AO, Williams NL, Yashar CY, Small W. ACR appropriateness criteria management of recurrent endometrial cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2016 Oct:39(5):507-515.
My current research focuses on the functional significance of EP4 expression in ovarian cancer and to identify a possible therapeutic target for patients with ovarian cancer.
Intraperitoneal chemotherpay for ovarian cancer
Robot-assited laparoscopic surgery
1991-1997 Honors Program in Medical Education, University of MiamiSchool of Medicine
1999 Felix Rutledge Fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology, M.D.AndersonCancerCenter, University of TexasHealthScienceCenter at Houston
2001 Outstanding Resident in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology, WayneStateUniversitySchool of Medicine
2003-2005 NIH T32 Physiology of Reproduction Training Grant, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Texas Southwestern MedicalCenter
2007 The AmericanCollege of Obstetricians and Gynecologists/The Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology National Faculty Award, VanderbiltUniversitySchool of Medicine
2015 Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology, Designee
2014-present Principal Investigator, Co-PI: Jocelyn Reader, PhD
Functional significance of changes in the cyclooxygenase pathway on EP4 in ovarian cancer
D01, University of Maryland Medical School, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences
Annual Direct Costs: $50,000
Total Direct Costs: $50,000
2004-2005 Co-investigator, Principal Investigator: John O. Schorge, MD
“Novel ovarian cancer biomarkers using the CAST vector”
American Cancer Society - Institutional Research Grant
Annual Direct Costs: $20,000
Total Direct Costs: $20,000
2001-2005 Ad hoc reviewer, Gynecologic Oncology
2001-2005 Ad hoc reviewer, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
2006 Ad hoc reviewer, Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation
2010-present Member, American College of Radiology Appropriateness Criteria – Gynecologic Radiation Oncology Panel
2011-2013 Member, Finance Committee, Society of Gynecologic Oncology
2014-present American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology Oral Board Examiner
2015-present General Member, NRG Oncology Uterine Corpus Committee