Director, Infectious Diseases Telemedicine & Medical Education; Assistant Dean of the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum
Institute of Human Virology N555
Education and Training
BA - Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
MS - Physiology, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
MD - Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
Residency - Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Fellowship - Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Patel graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in 2003. He then completed a residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at the University of Maryland Medical Center in 2007, serving as Chief Resident for the Med/Peds residency during his 4th year. Following residency, he stayed on at UMMC for his fellowship in Infectious Diseases. In 2009, he joined the faculty at the Institute of Human Virology (IHV) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. While on faculty, he lived in Lusaka, Zambia working with the University of Zambia (UNZA) to develop a residency program in HIV Medicine for Zambian physicians at UNZA. Subsequently, Dr. Patel developed a similar program for the University of Notre Dame-Port au Prince in Haiti.
In 2010, Dr. Patel started a dedicated ID consult service for the Medical Intensive Care Unit at UMMC and was the chief of service until 2016. In 2016, he became chief of service for the inpatient HIV and Infectious Diseases service - MED ID.
Dr. Patel is actively involved in medical education and previously served as the Associate Program Director for the ID fellowship program at UMMC for many years. Dr. Patel was the Course Director for the Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases course at UMSOM and now oversees the the first two years of medical school education as Assistant Dean of the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum. He is also the Infectious Diseases Embedded Content Lead for this curriculum.
Medical education, HIV, Infectious Diseases, Global Health, ICU infections
- Patel DM, Moyo C, Bositis CM. A Review of the 2010 WHO Adult Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines: Implications and Realities of These Changes for Zambia. Medical Journal of Zambia, Vol. 37. No. 2 (2010) 118-124.
- Bositis CM, Gashongore I, Patel DM. Updates to the World Health Organization's Recommendations for the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating Pregnant Women and Preventing HIV Infection in Infants. Medical Journal of Zambia, Vol. 37. No. 2 (2010) 111-117.
- Gilliam B*, Patel D*, Talwani R, Temesgen Z. HIV in Africa: Challenges and Directions for the Next Decade. Curr Infect Dis Rep (2012) 14:91–101Jul; 96:148-150.
- Patel DM and Heath J. A 58-year-old man with a cough and fever. Am J Med Sci. 2013 Feb; 345(2):150-3.
- Patel DM* and Riedel DJ*. Fever in Immunocompromised Hosts. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2013 Nov; 31(4):1059-71.
- Sowah LA, Turenne FV, Buchwald U, Delva G, Mesidor RN, Dessaigne CG, Previl H, Patel D, Edozien A, Redfield RR, Amoroso A. Influence of transportation cost on long-term retention in clinic for HIV patients in rural Haiti. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, Aug 26, 2014.
- Alexander CS, Pappas G, Amoroso A, Lee MC, Brown-Henley Y, Memiah P, O’Neill JF, Dix O, Redfield RR, Delva G, Edozien A, Hachaambwa L, Maro P, Nwandu A, Nwizu C, Obiefune M, Oni B, Patel D, Sheneberger R, Baribwira C, Kiromera A, Tepper V, Oyebola FO, Kaiza-Kangalawe A, Anthony Loy G, Enejoh V, Nwene E, Stanis-Ezeobi W, Shimabale M, Gashongore I, Etienne-Mesubi M. Implementation of HIV Palliative Care: Interprofessional Education to Improve Patient Outcomes in Resource-Constrained Settings, 2004-2012. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015 Sep: 50(3):350-61.
- Ryscavage P, Macharia T, Patel D, Palmeiro R, Tepper V. Linkage to and retention in care following healthcare transition from pediatric to adult HIV care. AIDS Care. 2016 May;28(5)561-5.
- Papali A, Verceles AC, Augustin ME, Colas LN, Jean-Francois CH, Patel DM, Todd NW, McCurdy MT, West TE; Haiti REsource Limited Intensive Care (Haiti-RELIC) Study Group. Sepsis in Haiti: Prevalence, treatment, and outcomes in a Port-au-Prince referral hospital. J Crit Care. 2016 Oct 19;38:35-40.
- Claassen CW, Hachaambwa L, Phiri D, Watson DC, Patel D, Bositis CM, Bositis A, Mubangizi D, Redfield R, Mwaba P, Sheneberger R. The Arc of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Capacity Development: Insights from a Decade of Partnership for Medical Education in Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Feb 6. pii: 16-0666. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0666.
- Macharia A, Kunga B, Frayha A, Nduati R, Patel D; A 10-Year-Old Girl With Lower Extremity Weakness, Incontinence, and Eosinophilia. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64 (10): 1460. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix189
- Papali A, West TE, Verceles AC, Augustin ME, Colas LN, Jean-Francois CH, Patel DM, Todd NW, McCurdy MT, Haiti REsource Limited Intensive Care (Haiti-RELIC) Study Group, Treatment outcomes after implementation of an adapted WHO protocol for severe sepsis and septic shock in Haiti. J Crit Care. 2017 Oct;41:222-228.
- Onyekonwu CL, Chukwuka CJ, Nwandu A, Patel D. Vitiligo immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS)-An incidental finding in a tertiary teaching hospital in southeast Nigeria. JAAD Case Rep. 2018 Jan 16;4(2):145-148.
- Kadri SS, Strich JR, Swihart BJ, Hohmann S, Dekker JP, Palmore T, Bonne S, Freeman B, Raybould J, Shah NG, Patel D, Husson J, Jacobs MD, Duong L, Follmann D, Hooper DC, Timpone J, Danner RL. Attributable mortality from extensively drug-resistant gram-negative infections using propensity-matched tracer antibiotic algorithms. Am J Infect Control. 2019 Sep;47(9):1040-1047.
- Manski SA, O’Brien JJ, Patel DM. Photo Quiz: A 34-Year-Old Man from Cameroon with Gastrointestinal Bleeding and Syncope. J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Jul 26;57(8). pii: e01101-18.
- Masich AM, Kalaria SN, Gonzales JP, Heil EL, Tata AL, Claeys KC, Patel D, Gopalakrishnan M. Vancomycin Pharmacokinetics in Obese Patients with Sepsis or Septic Shock. Pharmacotherapy. 2020 Mar;40(3):211-220.
- Shah K, Siglin J, Patel DM. Mycobacterium szulgai pulmonary infection in a woman with anorexia nervosa. Volume 21, 2020, Article number e00883.
- Shah NG, Patel DM, Retener NF, Dittmar PC, Lacap C, Thom KA, Martinez J. Beginning a new medical school curriculum amidst a global pandemic. FASEB Bioadv. 2020 Dec 22;10.1096
2010 Faculty Teaching Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
2011 Faculty Teaching Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
2015 AMSA Golden Apple Teaching Award from the UMSOM Class of 2015
2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
2017 Theodore E. Woodward Faculty Prize in Medicine For Exemplary Teaching and Patient Care, Department of Medicine, UMSOM
2018 Walter J. McDonal Award for Early Career Physicians, American College of Physicians
2018 AMSA Golden Apple Teaching Award from the UMSOM Class of 2018
2018 Faculty Award for Contributions in Diversity in Medical Education and Health Equality, SNMA Chapter of UMSOM
2019 Pass and Susel Medical Education Tool Chest Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine
2019 Student Council Award Best Preclinical Faculty, University of Maryland School of Medicine Class of 2019
2020 Fellow, Pass and Susel Academy of Educational Excellence. University of Maryland School of Medicine
2021 AMSA Golden Apple Teaching Award from the UMSOM Class of 2021
U2G GH000099-01 9/30/11-9/29/16 DHHS/CDC
Institutional Strengthening to Improve Quality of Health Care Services in Haiti Through Well Trained Health Care Professionals - Haitian Alliance for Institutional Strengthening (HPRI)
This grant is in partnership with the University of Notre Dame, Haiti, in response to requests from the Haitian MOH and aims to train physicians in infectious diseases through didactic lectures and hospital clinical training.
U2G GH000181-02 Francois (PI) 03/01/2012-09/29/2016 CDC
Strengthening HIV Clinical Care and Treatment through Faith Based Hospitals (SIDALE)
Thegoal of this project is to build the capacity of CMMB to effectively manage the laboratory program within the SIDALE network.
U51HA02521 3/01/2004-2/28/2013 HRSA/ Catholic Relief Services
Rapid Expansion of Antiretroviral Therapy Programs (PEPFAR) Subcontract - ART-2009-5055
The President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) strived to increase the capacity of the health care systems in 10 African and Caribbean nations in diagnosing, treating, and providing end of life care for HIV positive and AIDS inflicted patients.
July 14, 2021 The OSA Insider Podcast, BONUS! Episode 10: Finding Your Passion with Dr. Devang Patel
March 11, 2021 The OSA Insider Podcast, Episode 56: COVID-19 Update
April 21, 2021 The OSA Insider Podcast, Episode 73: A Pandemic "Panic Moment"
May 12, 2021 The OSA Insider Podcast, Episode 74: "Lightning in a Bottle"
May 26, 2021 Moving the Needle Podcast, Episode 6 Dr. Devang Patel, MD - Renaissance Curriculum