Epidemiology & Public Health
685 W. Baltimore St., MSTF 334
Education and Training
BS Psychology, Reed College, Portland, Oregon
MD with Distinction in Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
MS Clinical Research, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Dan is a physician, epidemiologist and tenured Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine. He directs the Center for Innovation in Diagnosis. He was a founding member and Director of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) Research Network, was on the SHEA Board of Directors and SHEA Chair for IDWeek 2022. At the VA Maryland Healthcare System he directs Epidemiology.
His research explores probability in medicine, medical overuse, diagnostic stewardship, infection prevention and AI. On a NIH New Innovator award for "exceptional scientists pursuing highly innovative approaches to major challenges" he explored clinician risk understanding. This has led to creation of testing wisely.
He has continuous federal funding, over 200 publications and his work often appears in the media including the New York Times and Washington Post.
- Harris AD, Pineles L, Belton B, Johnson JK, Shardell M, Loeb M, Newhouse R, Dembry L, Braun B, Perencevich EN, Hall KK, Morgan DJ and the Benefits of Universal Glove and Gown (BUGG) Investigators. Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial. JAMA 2013
- Morgan DJ, Brownlee S, Leppin AL, Kressin N, Dhruva SS, Levin L, Landon BE, Zezza MA, Schmidt H, Saini V, Elshaug AG. Setting a research agenda for medical overuse. BMJ. 2015
- Morgan DJ, Malani P, Diekema DJ. Diagnostic Stewardship-Leveraging the Laboratory to Improve Antimicrobial Use. JAMA. 2017
- Morgan DJ, Pineles L, Owczarzak J, Magder L, Scherer L, Brown JP, Pfeiffer C, Terndrup C, Leykum L, Feldstein D, Foy A, Stevens D, Koch C, Masnick M, Weisenberg S, Korenstein D. Accuracy of clinician estimates of probability of diagnosis before and after testing. JAMA Intern Med. 2021
- Goodman KE, Rodman AM, Morgan DJ. Preparing Physicians for the Clinical Algorithm Era. N Engl J Med. 2023
NIH Director's New Innovator Award from the Common Fund's High-Risk, High-Reward Research Program 2017
Councilor, Board of Directors, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) 2017-2018
Alvan Feinstein Award for Clinical Epidemiology. American College of Physicians 2023
Diagnostic Stewardship as a 'nudge' to reduce inappropriate antibiotic use for urinary tract infections (PI) 1I01HX002906-01AVA Merit Review Award HSR&D
Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR)-Based Diagnostic Stewardship Intervention to Optimize the Treatment of Respiratory Viral Infections Including COVID-19 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) 75D30121D12775
Mentor, PI Claeys “Engaging Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacists in Diagnostic Excellence for Urinary Tract Infections” National Academy of Medicine Scholars in Diagnostic Excellence
CDC 1U54CK000-450 (Harris PI) Epicenters for the Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Infections.