Associate Dean for Medical Education and Student Experience
HSF-1, Suite 134
Education and Training
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, BS, Pre-professional Studies, 1993
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, MD, Medicine, 1998
- University of Maryland Medical Center, Residency Training in Combined Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine, 2023
Dr. Joseph P. Martinez is an emergency medicine physician in Baltimore, Maryland and is affiliated with University of Maryland Medical Center. He received his medical degree from University of Maryland School of Medicine and has been in practice for more than 20 years. His main field of interest is medical student education, and his clinical focus is on gastrointestinal emergencies.
Dr. Martinez graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1993, then attended medical school at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM). He completed a combined residency in Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine in 2003 and then joined UMSOM faculty. He accepted the position of Assistant Dean of Student Affairs in 2005 and was appointed Associate Dean for Medical Education and Student Experience in 2020.
He is an active lecturer on the local, national, and international level, with a particular interest in abdominal and gastrointestinal emergencies, as well as medical student education. In addition, he is certified as a trainer by the American Academy on Communication in Healthcare.
Dr. Martinez is married to an internist and alumnus of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Lisa (Kilburg) Martinez, class of '96. They have three boys.
Gastrointestinal emergencies Medical student education Communication in healthcare
Avegno J, Leuthauser A, Martinez J, et al. Medical student education in Emergency Medicine: do students meet the national standards for clinical encounters of selected core conditions? Journal of Emergency Medicine 47(3):328-332, September 2014.
Martinez JP, Sommerkamp SK, Euerle BD. How we started an elective in emergency bedside ultrasound. Medical Teacher 2014; 37(12): 1063-1066.
Martinez J. Adult Hirschsprung’s disease. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, 17(6):704-5, October 2015. DOI: 10.1017/cem.2014.57.
Singh M, Koyfman A, Martinez JP. Abdominal Vascular Catastrophes. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 34(2):327-339, May 2016.
Frayha N, Raczek J, Lo J, Martinez J, Parker D. An Electronic Interview Tracking Tool to Guide Medical Students Through the Match: Improvements in Advising and Match Outcomes. Academic Medicine 2019;94:348-52.
Winters ME, Hu K, Martinez JP, Mallemat H, Brady WJ. The Critical Care Literature 2019. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 2021; 39:197-206 doi:10.1016/j.ajem.2020.09.059
Shah NG, Patel D, Retener N, Dittmar P, Lacap C, Thom K, Martinez JP. Beginning a New Medical School Curriculum Amidst a Global Pandemic. FASEB BioAdvances. 2021;3(3): 150-157. DOI: 10.1096/fba.2020-00097
Winters ME, Hu K, Martinez JP, Mallemat H, Brady WJ. The Critical Care Literature 2020. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 2021;50:683-692. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2021.09.056
Medical Student Education, Curriculum Design, Assessment of Learners, Acute mesenteric ischemia
- Robert J. Doherty, M.D., Award for Exemplary Teaching in Emergency Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Fellow, American Academy of Emergency Medicine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Maryland beta chapter
- Fellow, Pass & Susel Academy of Educational Excellence, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Distinguished Educator, Medical Educator Leadership Academy (MELA), University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Founders Week Educator of the Year, University of Maryland Baltimore as part of the UMSOM Renaissance Curriculum team
- 2022 Careers in Medicine Excellence in Medical Student Career Advising National Faculty Advisor Award