Clinical Assistant Professor (Non-Adjunct Faculty)
VAMC 116A BX10 UMMS
410-605-7000, ext 5514
Education and Training
1979: University of Maryland College Park, BA, Political Science and English Literature
1980-1982: Univeristy of Maryland College Park, Pre-Med Requirements
1983-1987: M.D. (with Honors, AOA), University of Texas Medical School, Houston
1987-1988: University of Maryland Medical System
1988-1990: University of Maryland Medical System
Fellowship (Geriatric Neuropsychiatry-focus on Alzheimer's Disease)
1990-1992: The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Board Certificate Diplomate:
1993: General Adult Psychiatry: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
1994: Geriatric Psychiatry: Amerian Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
2012: Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Neurology: United Counsel of Neurological Subspecialties
Dr. Loreck graduated with honors from the University of Texas Medical School in 1987. He completed a medical internship and residency in psychiatry at the University of Maryland Medical System from 1987 through 1990. Following his residency, he completed a two year Geriatric Neuropsychiatric Fellowship focusing on Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center.
In !992, he joined the faculty at the University of Maryland Medical School and developed both the Baltimore VAMC Alzheimer’s Disease/Memory Disorders Assessment Clinic and Extended Care Unit at the VA Loch Raven Campus.
He is Board Certified in Adult Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry, and Neuropsychiatry. He currently is Director of the Baltimore VAMC Hospital Mental Health Consultation Service and Neuropsychiatry Clinic.
Dr. Loreck served many years on the Maryland Alzheimer’s Association Medical and Scientific Board and is currently serving on the Virginia Jones, State of Maryland Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Board to improve care for Maryland residents with Alzheimer’s Disease/related Disorders.
Dr. Loreck also co-chairs the Veterans’ Administration Regional and Maryland Dementia Clinical Care Committees.
He also serves on the Veteran Administration National Delirium Field Advisory Committee.
Dr. Loreck’s research, publications, and presentations have focused on identification, assessment, and treatment of dementia and delirium in the elderly. He has participated in national clinical trials in the treatment of dementia, delirium and depression, primarily with the Veteran’s Administration.
Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia, Geriatric Psychiatry
- Dysken MW, Sano M, Asthana S, Vertree E, Pallaki M, Loreck DJ et al. Effect of vitamin E and memantine on functional decline in Alzheimer's Disease. JAMA. 2014; 311(1): 33-44.
- Black, BS, Fogarty, LA, Phillips, H, Finucane, T, Loreck, DJ, Baker, A, et al. Surrogate decision makers' understanding of dementia patients prior wishes for end-of-life care. Journal of Aging and Health. 2009; 21(4): 627-650.
- Blass, DM, Black, BS, Finucane, T, Baker, A, Loreck, DJ, Rabins, PV. Medication use in nursing home residents with advanced dementia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2008; 23(5): 490-496.
- Kaup, BA, Loreck, DJ, Gruber-Baldini, AL, German, P, Magaziner, J. Depression and relationship to function, medical status, and dementia in nursing home admissions. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2007; 15(5): 438-443.
- Black, BS, Finucane, T, Baker, A, Loreck, DJ, Blass, D, Rabins, PV. Health problems and correlates of pain in nursing home residents with advanced dementia. Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders. 2006; 20(4): 283-290.
- Fenton J, Raskin A, Gruber-Baldini AL, Loreck DJ, Ruskin PE, Zimmerman S, Magaziner J. Predictors of nursing home consultation in nursing home residents. J Geriatric Psychiatry Neurology. 2004; 12(3): 297-304.
- Heeren O, Raskin A, Gruber-Baldini AL, Loreck DJ, Ruskin PE, Zimmerman S, Magaziner J. Association of depression with agitation in elderly nursing home patients. J Geriatric Psychiatry Neurology. 2003; 16(1): 4-11.
- Menon As, Gruber-Baldini AI, Hebel JR, Loreck DJ, Zimmerman S, Burton J. German P, Magaziner J. Relationship between aggressive behaviors and depression among nursing home residents with dementia. Int J Geriatric Psychiatry. 2001; 16(2): 139-146.
- Loreck DJ, Bylsma FW, Folstein MF. The dementia symptom symptom scale: a new scale for assessment of psychopathology in alzheimer's disease. Journal of the American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry. 1994; (2)1: 60-74.
- Stern Y, Folstein M, Albert M, Richards M, Miller L, Bylsma F, Loreck DJ et al. Multicenter study of predictors of disease course in alzheimer's disease: study design, cohort description and internal comparisons. Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders. 1993; 7(1): 3-21.
- Richards M, Folstein M, Albert M, Miller L, Bylsma F, Loreck DJ et al. Multicenter study of predictors of disease course in alzheimer's disease: neurological, psychiatry and demographic influences on baseline measure of disease severity. Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders. 1993; 7(1): 23-32.
- Loreck DJ, Galarraga J, Van der Feen J, Phang J, Smith B, Cummins CJ. Regulation of the pentose phosphate pathway in human astrocytes and gliomas. Metabolic Brain Disease. 1997; 2(1): 31-47.
- Glarraga J, Loreck DJ, Graham JF, DeLaPaz RL, Smith BH, Hallgren D, Cummins CJ. Glucose metabolism in human gliomas:correspondence ofin situ andin vitro metabolic rates and altered energy metabolism. Metabolic Brain Disease. 1986; 1(4): 279-293.
- Dominguez JE, Graham JF, Cummins CJ, Loreck DJ, Galarraga J, Van der Feen J, DeLaPaz R, Smith BH. Enzymes of glucose metabolism in human gliomas. Metabolic Brain Disease. 1987; 2(1): 17-31.