Program Director, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program
110 S. Paca Street, 2nd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
- Newman University, BA, Biology, 2005
- University of Kansas School of Medicine, MD, 2010
- Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Internal Medicine Residency, 2013
- Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Chief Resident, 2014
- University of Maryland Medical Center, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, 2017
- University of Maryland Medical Center, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Chief Fellow, 2017
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital, Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship, 2018
Dr. Holden is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She is an interventional pulmonologist within the Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine. In addition, she is the Director of the PCCM Fellowship Program since July 2019. Dr. Holden specializes in minimally invasive methods of diagnosing and staging lung cancer, treating central airway obstruction, and managing pleural disease. She also has strong interests in medical education and teaching.
Lung cancer, airway obstruction, pleural disease, airway stents, medical education
- Charya AV, Holden VK, Pickering EM. “Management of life-threatening hemoptysis in the ICU.” J Thorac Dis. 2021 Aug; 13(8):5139-5158.
- Ghattas C, Alsunaid A, Pickering EM, Holden VK. “State of the art: percutaneous tracheostomy in the intensive care unit.” J Thorac Dis. 2021 Aug; 13(8):5261-5276.
- Alsunaid, S, Holden VK, Kohli A, Diaz J, O’Meara LB. “Wound care management: tracheostomy and gastrostomy.” J Thorac Dis. 2021 Aug; 13(8):5297-5313.
- Ray AS, Holden VK, Sachdeva A, Nasim F. “Equipment and procedural setup for interventional pulmonology procedures in the intensive care unit.” J Thorac Dis. 2021 Aug; 13(8):5331-5342.
- Garrison GW, Cho JL, Deng JC, Camac E, Oh S, Sundar K, Baptiste JV, Cheng GS, De Cardenas J, Fitzgerald C, Garfield J, Ha N, Holden VK, O’Corragain O, Patel S, Wayne MT, McSparron JI, Wang T, Coruh B, Hayes MM, Guzman E, Channick CL. “ATS Core Curriculum 2021. Adult Pulmonary Medicine: Thoracic Oncology.” ATS Sch. 2021 Sep; 2(3):468-483.
- Holden VK. “Assessing Competency in Thoracentesis: Lights, Camera, Action!” ATS Sch. 2021 Dec; 2(4):500-502.
- Dickey S, Holden VK. “Recognizing and Celebrating Fellows and Faculty: The Value of a Simple “Thank You.” Voices in #MedEd. 2022 April; https://apccmpdscholars.org/2022/04/19/recognizing-and-celebrating-fellows-and-faculty-the-value-of-a-simple-thank-you/
- Li N, Chinthalapally M, Holden VK, Deepak J, Dhilipkannah P, Fan JM, Todd NW, Jiang F. “Profiling Plasma Cytokines by A CRISPR-ELISA Assay for Early Detection of Lung Cancer.” J Clin Med. 2022 Nov; 11(23):6923.
- Li N, Zhou H, Holden VK, Deepak J, Dhilipkannah P, Todd NW, Stass SA, Jiang F. “Streptococcus pneumoniae promotes lung cancer development and progression.” 2023 Jan;26(2):105923.
- Canakis A, Kolachana S, Holden VK, Cross RK. “Opportunistic Knocks: A Gardener with Ulcerative Colitis and New Pulmonary Nodules.” Dig Dis Sci. 2023 Feb;68(2):380-384.
- Kelm DJ, Neumeier A, Hinkle LJ, Adamson R, Heath JK, Stewart NH, Niroula A, Chiarchiaro J, Denson JL, Holden VK, Soffler M, Carlos WG. “Build It and They Shall Come: Medical Education Communities of Practice.” ATS Sch. 2023 Mar.
- Ratwani A, Lentz R, Chen H, Schwartz E, Roller L, Shojaee S, Shepherd W, Noor ul Husnain S, Senitko M, Guo Y, Cumbo-Nacheli G, Raziq F, Sachdeva A, Holden V, Gharaibeh K, Benn B, Ferguson JS, Rickman O, Yarmus L, Maldonado F. “Spray Cryotherapy for Benign Large Airway Stenosis: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study of Safety and Practice Patterns.” J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol. 2023 May.
- 2011 Outstanding Intern Award, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, awarded for distinguished performance in medicine
- 2011 Resident Research Award, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, awarded for distinguished poster presentation
- 2013 Leadership Day Grant, American College of Physicians
- 2013 Nilesh Tamakuwala, M.D. Award, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, awarded for compassionate care and excellence in teaching
- 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- 2017 Recognition of Exemplary Service on the Chest Trainee Work Group
- 2018 American Thoracic Society Assembly on Thoracic Oncology Abstract Scholarship
- 2019 Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- 2022 Distinguished American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology Service Award, awarded for exceptional loyalty, dedication and meritorious service to the organizational mission
- 2022, 2023 Distinguished CHEST Educator, American College of Chest Physicians (awarded to top 4% of CHEST faculty worldwide)
2023 Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors Emerging Educator Award, awarded for inspiration, commitment, and excellence in training and mentoring of the next generation of PCCM physicians (two national awards given annually)
Dr. Holden is actively involved in several national organizations and currently serves on the following committees:
- American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- Membership Committee
- Certification Committee
- Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors
- Education Committee
- Membership Survey Committee
- Associate Editor for Voices in #MedEd Blog