Epidemiology & Public Health
Associate Hospital Epidemiologist
MSTF Suite 334
Education and Training
- UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, PhD, Health Policy and Management, 2019
- New York University School of Medicine, MD, 2010
- Columbia College, BA, Chemistry, 2006
Dr. Baghdadi is an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) and UMMC-Midtown Campus. He chairs the Infection Prevention Committee and Sepsis Working Group at UMMC-Midtown Campus and serves on the UMMS Sepsis Steering Group. His research background is in health services, and his interests involve quality measurement in early sepsis care and implementation of molecular diagnostics for infectious diseases.
diagnostic stewardship, sepsis and sepsis bundles, Clostridoides difficile infection, infection prevention, quality improvement
- Baghdadi JD, Korenstein D, Pineles L, Scherer LD, Lydecker AD, Magder L, Stevens DN, Morgan DJ. Exploration of Primary Care Clinician Attitudes and Cognitive Characteristics Associated with Prescribing Antibiotics for Asymptomatic Bacteriuria. JAMA Netw. Open. 5(5): e2214268. 2022 May.
- Baghdadi JD, Coffey K, Adediran T, Goodman KE, Pineles L, Magder LS, O’Hara LM, Pineles BL, Nadimpalli G, Morgan DJ, Harris AD. Antibiotic use and bacterial infection among inpatients in the first wave of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study of 64,691 patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 7;65(11):e01341-21, 2021 Sep.
- Goodman KE, Magder LS, Baghdadi JD, Pineles L, Levine AR, Perencevich EN, Harris AD. Impact of Sex and Metabolic Comorbidities on COVID-19 Mortality Risk Across Age Groups: 66,646 Inpatients Across 613 US Hospitals. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020 Dec 18.
- Baghdadi JD, Brook RH, Uslan DZ, Needleman J, Bell DS, Cunningham WE, Wong MD. Association of a Care Bundle for Early Sepsis Management With Mortality Among Patients With Hospital-Onset or Community-Onset Sepsis. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2020 May 1;180(5):707-16.
For an up to date listing of publications visit Dr. Baghdadi's NCBI Bibliography.
- Inpatient infectious diseases
- Hospital epidemiology / infection prevention
- Special Friend of Nursing Award, UMMC National Nurses Week 2022
- National Academy of Medicine Scholar in Diagnostic Excellence, 2021
- SHEA Epi Project Competition Winner, 2021
- Vanessa Ajayi Annual Safety Award, UMMC Midtown Campus, 2021
- Baltimore Orioles Healthcare Heroes, 2020
- UCLA DOM Research Day poster competition (4th place), 2018
- IDWeek Research Abstract Travel Award, 2016
- IDWeek Research Abstract Travel Award, 2015
- UCLA Resident Informaticist Program, 2014
- Clinical Scientist Training and Research Program, WUSTL School of Medicine, 2012
- Mentors in Medicine, WUSTL School of Medicine, 2011
CDC SHEPheRD Program, 2022-2024
AHRQ K08 Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award, 2022-2026
UMB ICTR/CTSA KL2 Mentored Career Development Award, 2021-2022
UCLA GIM National Research Service Award , 2015-2018
- Lawrence L. (June 30, 2021). Better Surveillance For Serious HAIs. Retrieved from https://www.idse.net/Infection-Control/Article/06-21/Better-Surveillance-For-Serious-HAIs/63820.
- Lennon J, Shah R. (April 29, 2020). Sepsis bundles likely not associated with improved outcomes. 2 Minute Medicine. Retrieved from https://www.2minutemedicine.com/sepsis-bundles-likely-not-associated-with-improved-outcomes/
- Kritek P. (April 14, 2020). Patients Who Develop Sepsis as Inpatients Are Unlikely to Get Complete Sepsis-Bundle Care. NEJM Journal Watch. Retrieved from https://www.jwatch.org/na51307/2020/04/14/patients-who-develop-sepsis-inpatients-are-unlikely-get
- Physician’s Weekly. (April 09, 2020). SEP-1 Bundle Doesn’t Reduce Mortality in Treating Sepsis. [Blog Post]. Physician’s Weekly. Retrieved from https://www.physiciansweekly.com/sep-1-bundle-doesnt-reduce-mortality-in-treating-sepsis/
- American Pharmacist’s Association. (April 08, 2020). Association of a care bundle for early sepsis management with mortality among patients with hospital-onset or community-onset sepsis. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.pharmacist.com/article/association-care-bundle-early-sepsis-management-mortality-among-patients-hospital-onset-or
- Boggs W. (April 07, 2020). Early Sepsis Care Bundle Does Not Reduce Mortality. Reuters Health. Retrieved from https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928227