10 South Pine Street MSTF 434A, Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
B.S.E., Tsinghua University, Beijing, PR China, 1986
M.S.E., Shanghai Institute of Optics & Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, PR China, 1989
Ph.D., University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, 1996
Dr. Wu is a tenured Full Professor of Surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Previously, Dr. Wu held academic positions in the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Maryland and the University of Louisville. In 2017, he was appointed as the Peter G. Angelos Distinguished Professor in Entrepreneurial Surgical Sciences at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and Research Professor of Bioengineering at the University of Maryland College Park.
Dr. Wu is engaged in the basic and applied research of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease and the fundamental technical problems associated with artificial and bio-hybrid organ development. Over the years, Dr. Wu has developed core competencies in three interrelated areas in his laboratory: 1) bioengineering design, modeling and characterization of artificial organs for heart/lung diseases; 2) large animal models for cardiovascular disease and evaluation of blood-contacting artificial organs; and 3) bioengineering and biologic characterization of heart disease and response to therapies with use of ventricular assist devices and cellular transplantation. The current research projects include the use of ventricular assist devices in heart failure, development of pediatric ventricular assist devices, development of artificial pumping lungs, computational design and modeling of biomedical devices, experimental study and computational modeling of blood damage, stem cell-based cellular therapy for cardiovascular disease and pulmonary disease. The research activities are supported by multiple NIH grants, industrial contracts and private foundation awards.
Dr. Wu has published over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles, 1 book chapter, 24 peer-reviewed conference proceeding papers, and over 150 conference abstracts. He holds three issued US patents and have six filed patent applications. He has been invited to serve as a member of various professional and scientific committees, including the U.S. FDA Technical Review Committee, NIH Study Sections and DoD special emphasis panels. Dr. Wu is a member of several prestigious organizations, including the American Society of Artificial Internal Organs (ASAIO), Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME). He was on the Board of Trustees of the American Society of Artificial Internal Organs. Dr. Wu serves on the Editorial Board of two professional journals (ASAIO Journal, Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology). For his outstanding contribution to medical and biological engineering, he was elected to the College of Fellows of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
Development of Artificial Organs: Ventricular Assist Devices, Blood Pumps, Artificial Lungs, Respiratory Assist Devices, Computational Modeling and Design Optimization of Blood Contacting Medical Devices, Blood Flow, Flow Visualization, Blood Damage, Cell Mechanics, Cardiac Biomechanics, Hemodynamics, Biological Responses to Artificial Organs in Human and Animals, Animal Models for Cardiovascular/Lung Diseases and Development of New Treatment Technologies, Stem Cell Therapies for Heart and Lung Diseases
Recent Publications (since 2015)
- Ding J, Chen Z, Niu S, Zhang J, Mondal NK, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Quantification of Shear-Induced Platelet Activation: High Shear Stresses for Short Exposure Time. Artif Organs. 2015 Jul;39(7):576-83. doi: 10.1111/aor.12438. Epub 2015 Mar 21. PubMed PMID: 25808300.
- Mondal NK, Sorensen EN, Feller ED, Pham SM, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Comparison of Intraplatelet Reactive Oxygen Species, Mitochondrial Damage and Platelet Apoptosis after Implantation of Three Continuous Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices: HeartMate II, Jarvik 2000 and HeartWare. ASAIO J. 2015 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25757140.
- Chen Z, Mondal NK, Ding J, Gao J, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Shear-induced platelet receptor shedding by non-physiological high shear stress with short exposure time: Glycoprotein Ibα and glycoprotein VI. Thromb Res. 2015 Apr;135(4):692-8. doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2015.01.030. Epub 2015 Feb 7. PMID: 25677981.
- Ding J, Niu S, Chen Z, Zhang T, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Shear-Induced Hemolysis: Species Differences. Artif Organs. 2015 Apr 20. doi: 10.1111/aor.12459. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25899978.
- Liu Y, Sanchez PG, Wei X, Watkins AC, Niu S, Wu ZJ, Griffith BP. Effects of Cardiopulmonary Support With a Novel Pediatric Pump-Lung in a 30-Day Ovine Animal Model. Artif Organs. 2015 Apr 29. doi: 10.1111/aor.12487. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25921361(corresponding author).
- Mondal NK, Sorensen EK, Feller ED, Pham SM, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome After Contentious-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation and Change in Platelet Mitochondrial Membrane Potential. J Card Fail. 2015 Jul;21(7):564-71. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2015.04.007. Epub 2015 Apr 25. PMID:25921521.
- Chen Z, Mondal NK, Ding J, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Activation and shedding of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa under non-physiological shear stress. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015 Jul 10. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26160282.
- Rajagopal K, Saha P, Mohammed I, Sanchez PG, Li T, Wu ZJ, Griffith BP. Effects of small platform catheter-based left ventricular assist device support on regional myocardial signal transduction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Aug 15. pii: S0022-5223(15)01482-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2015.08.035. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26395041.
- Zhang P, Li T, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Multiscale Characterization of Impact of Infarct Size on Myocardial Remodeling in an Ovine Infarct Model. Cells Tissues Organs. 2014; 200(5):349-62. doi: 10.1159/000435875. Epub 2015 Aug 14. PMID: 26540290.
- Mondal NK, Sorensen EN, Pham SM, Griffith BP, Slaughter MS, Wu, ZJ. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome in End-Stage Heart Failure Patients Following Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation: Differences in Plasma Redox Status and Leukocyte Activation. Artif Organs. 2015 Sep 29. doi: 10.1111/aor.12580. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26416627.
- Chen Z, Mondal NK, Ding J, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Wu ZJ. Paradoxical Effect of Nonphysiological Shear Stress on Platelets and von Willebrand Factor. Artif Organs. 2015 Nov 18. doi: 10.1111/aor.12606. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:26582038.
- Wei X, Sanchez PG, Liu Y, Watkins AC, Li T, Griffith BP, Wu ZJ. Extracorporeal Respiratory Support With a Miniature Integrated Pediatric Pump-Lung Device in an Acute Ovine Respiratory Failure Model. Artif Organs. 2016 Apr 18. doi: 10.1111/aor.12705. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27087252.
- Li T, Wei X, Evans CF, Sanchez PG, Li S, Wu ZJ, Griffith BP. Left Ventricular Unloading After Acute Myocardial Infarction Reduces MMP/JNK Associated Apoptosis and Promotes FAK Cell-Survival Signaling. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jul 1. pii: S0003-4975(16)30486-6. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.05.007. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27378553.
- Mondal NK, Sobieski MA, Pham SM,†Griffith BP, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Wu ZJ. Infection, Oxidative Stress, and Changes in Circulating Regulatory T Cells of Heart Failure Patients Supported by Continuous-Flow Ventricular Assist Devices. ASAIO J. 2017 Mar/Apr;63(2):128-133. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000000487. PMID:27922883.
- Soucy KG, Bartoli CR, Phillips D, Giridharan GA, Sobieski MA, Wead WB, Dowling RD, Wu ZJ, Prabhu SD, Slaughter MS, Koenig SC. Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Support Improves Myocardial Supply:Demand in Chronic Heart Failure. Ann Biomed Eng. 2017 Feb 6. doi: 10.1007/s10439-017-1804-x. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:28168379.
- Carnahan SR, Koenig SC, Sobieski MA, Schumer EM, Monreal G, Wang Y, Choi Y, Meuris BJ, Tompkins LH, Wu ZJ, Slaughter MS, Giridharan GA. Efficacy of Subcutaneous Electrocardiogram Leads for Synchronous Timing During Chronic Counterpulsation Therapy. ASAIO J. 2017 Mar/Apr;63(2):134-138. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000000498. PMID: 27984317.
- Mondal MK, Li T, Chen Z, Chen HH, Sorensen EN, Pham SM, Sobieski MA, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Mechanistic insight of platelet apoptosis leading to non-surgical bleeding among heart failure patients supported by continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017 Mar 25. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-3021-1. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28343311.
- Mondal MK, Chen Z, Trivedi JR, Sorensen EN, Pham SM, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Association of oxidative stress and platelet receptor GPIbα and GPVI shedding during non-surgical bleeding in patients with CF-LVAD support. ASAIO journal 2017; PMID: 28953486.
- Chen Z, Jena SK, Giridharan GA, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Flow Features and Device-Induced Blood Trauma in CF-VADs under a pulsatile blood flow condition: A CFD Comparative Study. International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering. 2017; PMID: 28859253
- Mondal MK, Chen Z, Trivedi JR, Sorensen EN, Pham SM, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Oxidative stress induced modulation of platelet integrin α2bβ3 expression and shedding may predict the risk of major bleeding in heart failure patients supported by continuous flow left ventricular assist devices.. Thrombosis research. 2017; 158:140-148. PMID: 28915447.
- Wang Y, Koenig SC, Wu Z, Slaughter MS, Giridharan GA. Sensor-Based Physiologic Control Strategy for Biventricular Support with Rotary Blood Pumps. ASAIO journal. 2017; PMID: 28938308.
- Chen Z, Mondal NK, Zheng S, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. High Shear Induces Platelet Dysfunction Leading to Enhanced Thrombotic Propensity and Diminished Hemostatic Capacity. Platelets 2017 (accepted, in press).
- Chen Z, Koenig SC, Slaughter MS, Griffith BP, and Wu ZJ. Quantitative Characterization of Shear-Induced Platelet Receptor Shedding: Glycoprotein Ibα, Glycoprotein VI and Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa. ASAIO Journal 2017 (accepted, in press).
- Wang Y, Koenig SC, Wu ZJ, Slaughter MS, Giridharan GA. Sensorless Physiologic Control, Suction Prevention, and Flow Balancing Algorithm for Rotary Biventricular Assist Devices. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 2017 (accepted, in press).