Education and Training
BA, BS from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH
MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York NY
Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York NY
Fellowship in Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York NY
My basic interests are in disease of the gastrointestinal tract and liver, including hepatocellular disease and malignancies. I have experience both in the past and in ongoing projects with interpretation of histology and immunohistochemistry. My position within the department of Anatomic Pathology at the University of Maryland involves review of all resected and explanted liver specimens and correlation with clinical and radiographic findings. This experience is useful in reviewing clinical materials for clinical, pathologic and radiographic data.
Surgical and medical liver pathology, including transplantation pathology Lumenal gastrointestinal pathology
- Gosain S, Mercer K, Twaddell WS, Uradomo L, Greenwald BD. Liquid nitrogen spray cryotherapy in Barrett’s esophagus with high grade dysplasia: long-term results. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013, 78(2):260-5
- Haskel ZJ, Potosky Z, Twaddell WS. Percutaneous endovascular creation of an inferior vena cava in a patient with caval agenesis, Budd-Chiari syndrome, and ileofemorocaval thrombosis. J Vasc Int Rad, 2014 Jan;25(1):63-9.
- Rachakonda V, Jadeja RN, Urrunaga NH, Shah N, Ahmad D, Cheng K, Twaddell WS, Raufman JP, Khurana S.M1 muscarinic receptor deficiency attenuated azoxymethane-induced chronic liver injury in mice. Sci Rep, 2015, 5; article 14110.
- Tang DM, Koh C, Twaddell WS, von Rosenvinge EC, Han H. Acute hepatocellular drug-induced liver injury from bupropion and doxycycline. ACG Case Rep J. 2015, 3(1): 66-8.
- Rapid progression of a pregnancy-associated intra-abdominal desmoid tumor in the post-partum period: A case report. Hanna D, Magarakis M, Twaddell WS, Alexander HR, Kesmodel SB. Int J Surg Case Rep 2016; 29:30-33
Awards and Affiliations
2010 Harlan I Firminger Faculty Teaching Award in Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine
2010 Best Attending Pathology Teacher (Anatomic Pathology), University of Maryland Pathology Residents
2011 Best Attending Pathology Teacher (Anatomic Pathology), University of Maryland Pathology Residents
2016 Best Attending Pathology Teacher (Anatomic Pathology), University of Maryland Pathology Residents
Grants and Contracts
Resource Collection and Evaluation of Human Tissues and Cells From Donors with an Epidemiologic Profile, NIH/NCI Grant NO2-RC-2010-00117C, PI Dean Mann, MD.