MD, PhD, FACEP
Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
1996 B.S., Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego
2002 Ph.D., Biochemistry, Virginia Commonwealth University
2008 M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Post Graduate Education and Training
07/2008–06/2012 Residency, Emergency Medicine, George Washington University
07/2012–07/2013 Fellowship, Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
After earning my PhD in Biochemistry in 2002, I worked briefly for a Biotech company where I developed and tested novel drugs for Parkinson Disease. This experience introduced me to Central Nervous System disorders and I have become interested in neurological injuries and patients' outcome.
In 2013, I became an attending physician for the Critical Care Resuscitation Unit (CCRU), which is the first critical care unit of its kind in the United States. Every month we receive and resuscitate hundreds of critically ill patients being transferred from different hospitals from the state of Maryland and its neighboring states. From this unique clinical experience, I have developed a strong interest in improving the process of care for critically ill patients who are transferred to ICUs.
Being faculty at the School of Medicine and with a background in research, I have a keen interest in developing next generation scientists. I created the Research Associate Program in Emergency Medicine and Critical Care in January 2016. Our program aims at improving undergraduate students' competitiveness for medical school while providing research training and hands-on experience.
neurological injuries, transferred critically ill patients
- Tran Q, Roesser JR. Human transformer-2beta and SRp55 interact with a calcitonin-specific splice enhancer. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2003 Jan 27; 1625(2):141-152.
- Coleman TP, Tran Q, Roesser JR. Binding of a candidate splice regulator to a calcitonin-specific splice enhancer regulates calcitonin/CGRP pre-mRNA splicing. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2003 Jan 27; 1625(2):153-164.
- Tran Q, Coleman TP, Roesser JR. SRp55 is a regulator of calcitonin/CGRP alternative RNA splicing. Biochemistry. 2003 Feb 4; 42(4):951-957.
- Scalea TM, Rubinson L, Tran Q, Jones K, Rea J, Stein D, Dinardo T, Doyle K, Sult L, Voss A, Bartlett ST, O’Connor J. The Critical Care Resuscitation Unit: An Innovative Solution to Expedite Transfer of Patients With Time Sensitive Critical Illness. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Apr;222(4):614-21
- Tran QK, Bayram JD, Boonyasai RT, Case M, Connor C, Doggett D, Fawole O, Ijagbemi OM, Levin S, Wu A, Pham JC. Pediatric ED Return: A Literature Review of Risk Factors and Interventions. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2016 Aug;32(8):570-7.
1. Emergency Medicine
2. Anesthesiolog Critical Care Medicine
2012 Award, Excellence for Resident Research
Department of Emergency Medicine, George Washington University
2015 Scholarship, Emergency Medicine Basic Research Skill
American College of Emergency Physician
2017 The Hero Award, R Adam Cowley Shock Trauma Center
2004-2017 Categorical Judge for High School State Engineering & Science Regional/Fairfax County Engineering & Science
2009–2010 Vice-Chair, Research Committee, Emergency Medicine Resident Association
2010–2011 Chair, Research Committee, Emergency Medicine Residents Association
2010–2012 Member, Research Committee, American College of Emergency Physicians
2016-2019 Member, Item Writing Committee, Adult, Society of Critical Care Medicine
2016-2019 Member, Advanced Knowledge Assessment Committee, Adult, Society of Critical Care Medicine