Division Head of Emergency Medicine in Pediatrics
Education and Training
M.D., Addis Abab University, Faculty of Medicine, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
M.P.H. Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION & TRAINING
Fellowship, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Wayne state University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Detroit, Michigan
Residency, Woodhull Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Brooklyn, New York
2001: Diplomate. American Board of Pediatrics
2004: Pediatric Emergency Medicine
I am an assistant professor in the Division of pediatric emergency medicine (PEM) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Prior to this appointment, I completed medical school at the Addis Ababa University Faculty of Medicine, pediatrics residency at the Woodhull Medical Center, and PEM fellowship at The Children’s Hospital of Michigan. I am board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency medicine.
I am the Medical Director of the Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Pediatric Emergency Medicine is the central focus of my clinical practice. I was the site Principal Investigator for the federally funded Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network for “A multicenter, randomized, controlled trial of dexamethasone for bronchiolitis”, and “Factors Associated with Cervical Spine Injury in Children after blunt trauma”. My recent work includes quality improvement projects in procedural sedation and telemedicine. Statewide, I am the current co-chair of the section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine (COPEM) of the Maryland Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). In global health, I have been involved in building a Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship program in Ethiopia.
- Gattu R, Lichenstein R, Teshome G. Telelmedicine applications in pediatric emergency medicine: A review of the current literature. Pediatric Emergency Care. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2016; 32(2):123-30.
- Teshome G, Braun JL, Lichenstein R. Ketamine Sedation After Administration of Oral Contrast: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Hosp Pediatr. 2015 Sep; 5 (9): 495-500.
- Teshome G, Belani K, Braun JL, Constantine DR, Gattu RK, Lichenstein R. Comparison of Dexmedetomidine with Pentobarbital for Pediatric MRI Sedation. Hosp Pediatrics. 2014; 4:360-365
- Leonard JC, Kuppermann N, Olsen C, Cimpello L, Brown KM, Mahajan P, Adelgais KM, Borgialli AJ, Donoghue A, Hoyle JD, Kim E, Leonard JR, Lillis KA, Nigrovic LE, Powell EC, Rebella G, Reeves S, Rogers AJ, Stankovic C, Teshome G, Jaffe DM and for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Factors Associated With Cervical Spine Injury in Children After Blunt Trauma.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 58(2):145-155.
- Corneli HM, Zorc JJ, Majahan P, Shaw KN, Holubkov R, Reeves SD, Ruddy RM, Malik B, Nelson KA, Bregstein JS, Brown KM, Denenberg MN, Lillis KA, Cimpello LB, Tsung JW, Borgialli DA, Baskin MN, Teshome G, Goldstein MA, Monroe D, Dean JM, Kuppermann N; Bronchiolitis Study Group of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). A multicenter, randomized, controlled trial of dexamethasone for bronchiolitis. N Engl J Med. 2007; 357(4): 331-339.
Clinical Specialty Details
Pediatric Emergency Medicine