Education and Training
2008: B.A., Cognitive Science (with distinction), Yale College (cum laude), New Haven, CT
2014: M.D., Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Post Graduate Education and Training:
2008-2010: Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA) Fellow, National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH), Bethesda, MD
2014-2015: Intern in Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
2015-2018: Resident in Neurology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
2018-2020: Fellow in Neurocritical Care, University of Maryland Medical Center/R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD
Neurocritical care, traumatic brain injury, paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity, autonomic dysfunction, neuroimaging, physiologic modeling, neuromodulation
- MN Jaffa, JE Podell, M Motta. A change of course: The case for a neurorecovery clinic. Neurocrit Care. 2020; Apr 24. doi: 10.1007/s12028-020-00976-6.
- M Haber, F Amyot, K Kenney, T Meredith-Duliba, C Moore, E Silverman, J Podell, YY Chou, D Pham, J Butman, H Lu, R Diaz-Arrastia, D Sandsmark. Vascular Abnormalities within Normal Appearing Tissue in Chronic Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Neurotrauma (In press; accepted 16 Mar 2018).
- DY Harvey, JE Podell, PE Turkeltaub, O Faseyitan, HB Coslett, RH Hamilton. Functional reorganization of right prefronal cortex underlies sustained naming improvements in chronic aphasia via repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation. Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology. 2017; 30(4): 133-144.
- JE Podell, F Sambataro, VP Murty, MR Emery, S Das, TE Goldberg, DR Weinberger, VS Mattay. Neurophysiological correlates of age-related impairment in working memory updating. Neuroimage. 2012; 62(3): 2151-60.
- F Sambataro, JE Podell, VP Murty, S Das, B Kolachana, TE Goldberg, DR Weinberger, VS Mattay. A variable number of tandem repeats in the 3’ untranslated region of the dopamine transporter modulates striatal function during working memory updating across the adult age span. European Journal of Neuroscience. 42(3): 1912-1918.
- DR Roalf, SN Vandekar, L Almasy, K Ruparel, TD Satterthwaite, MA Elliott, JE Podell, S Gallagher, CT Jackson, K Prasad, J Wood, MF Pogue-Geile, VL Nimgaonkar, RC Gur, RE Gur. Heritability of subcortical and limbic brain volume and shape in multiplex multigenerational families with schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry. 2015; 77(2): 137-146.
- R Rasetti, VS Mattay, MG White, F Sambataro, JE Podell, B Zoltick, Q Chen, KF Berman, JH Callicott, DR Weinberger. Altered hippocampal-parahippocampal response during stimulus encoding: A potential indicator of genetic liability for schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014: 71(3): 236-47.